| The Guinea Pig
Palm Desert, CA
February 21-22, 2014
By: Sylvie Curry
Competitor and promoter Sterling Ball introduced the concept of the Guinea Pig to the CBBQA in early January, which piqued competitor‚Äôs curiosity. The contest took place the weekend of February 21st in Indio, California and was the first of its kind offering contest space, ice and contest meat for the nominal price of $400. The Guinea Pig, billed as a family friendly contest, featured a Kid‚Äôs Q and dessert contest, and the biggest dessert potluck and pizza party in known competitive BBQ history for all teams after the awards were presented.
The contest was hosted at the Shadow Hills RV Park on a field with the sod that was used for the most recent Rose Bowl. Due to this being a RV Park there was the ubiquitous RV park rule of no generators from 10 p.m. ‚Äď 6 a.m. Although, this was different for a BBQ contest, it created a welcome challenge for most competitors.
On Friday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. teams gathered around The BPS site for a random drawing of team numbers to receive their competition meat, which was provided by Sterling Meat Company. The cooler consisted of one prime brisket, two pork butts, nine chicken thighs and a 3-pak of spare ribs. Teams scurried off to get their meat prepped prior to the 5:00 p.m. cook‚Äôs meeting.
Friday Evening was the Kid‚Äôs Q portion of the contest weekend. There were approximately 26 kid teams competing. Ages 6-10 cooked burgers while ages 10-16 cooked pork chops; all these meats were also provided by Sterling Meat Company. The kids cooked their contest meat on Weber Smokey Joe‚Äôs provided by BPS. The kicker part of this provision was that the kid‚Äôs were able to take the little kettle home fostering growth of competition BBQ.
As the smell of grilled onions and burgers wafted through the air, it became apparent that The Guinea Pig was truly about the family. There were many proud Dads and Moms looking on as their youngsters whipped up culinary masterpieces for the Kid‚Äôs Q contest judging at 6:30 p.m.
As the evening would wind down teams made sure they had their inverters and batteries charged to get their team thorough to the next morning? It was fun to watch this little contest town shut down at 10:00 p.m. and wake up again at 6:00 a.m. sharply. The smell of BBQ filled the air as teams worked on perfecting their craft of competition BBQ.
After the final meat category turn in was received, teams and judges readied themselves for the dessert portion of the contest. The desserts were a wide array of confections that would surely wow the judges. After dessert turn in teams took to cleaning their sites or playing a little hooky to take a splash in the lovely community pool.
At 5:00 teams gathered at the Shadow Hill community center for the award presentations. The Kid‚Äôs Q was the first of the awards to be given out. Sterling asked all the kid‚Äôs to come to the stage, with enthusiastic claps from the audience, to receive their participation ribbons. However, there would be two competitors this evening that set them apart. The first winner, in the 6-10 age groups, went to Smokin‚Äô Harts Kids. In the 11- 16 year old division, the winner was to Say Hello to My Little Smoker.
Next up was the Dessert category. 5th went to Simply Marvelous BBQ, Fourth was Grills Gone Wild Iowa, 3rd was Toys 4 BBQ‚ÄôN, 2nd was D‚Äôs Smokehouse and 1st went to Say Hello to my Little Smoker.
The Chicken category top five were 5th Smoqued, 4th Rub your Meat BBQ, 3rd Bowling over Pigs, 2nd Dry 2 Da bone and 1st went to R and H BBQ.
The Rib category top five were 5th Smokin Mo‚Äôs, 4th Ridge Route Boys, 3rd R and H BBQ, 2nd Bar-B-Que and 1st went to Simply Marvelous BBQ.
The Pork category top five were 5th The Smokin Harts, 4th The Pit Crew of Socal, 3rd was T & J Backyard BBQ, 2nd was Qued Up and 1st went to When Pigs Fly BBQ.
The Brisket top five were 5th Master of Disaster, 4th Loot N Booty, 3rd Lucky 13, 2nd Pete‚Äôs Firehouse and 1st was Burnin and Lootin.
The Reserve Grand Champion went to Got Smoke Bar-B-Que and the Grand Champion in the inaugural Guinea Pig contest was awarded to Burnin and Lootin.
Thanks are in order to Sterling Ball, the BPS crew, Arlie Bragg and the Shadow Hills RV park staff for putting on a uniquely wonderful contest. This contest also resulted in approximately 20 new CBBQA members this year.
| CBBQA APPROVED EVENTS - [OUT OF STATE EVENTS] |
- (KCBS) The Guinea Pig, Coachella Valley ToY
- (CBBQA) Charity dinner at Smoqued BBQ, Orange
- (CBBQA) Super Bowl Cook Off 2014
- (CBBQA) 17th Annual Q-Fest Q-Fest Pictures & Write-up
- (CBBQA) CBBQA Competition Class, Santa Barbara
- (KCBS) Wild Wild West's 4th Annual BBQ Championship I, Lake Elsinore
- (KCBS) Wild Wild West's 4th Annual BBQ Championship II,Lake Elsinore
- (KCBS) King of the Smoker Cook Off, La Quinta Ca
- (CBBQA) Veterans Holiday Celebration, Veterans Administration grounds, West LA
- (CBBQA) 1st Annual Sparta-Q BBQ Competition, San Jose
- (KCBS) 2nd Annual Cowboy Up Rodeo and BBQ, Lancaster
- (KCBS) A Smokin' Good Time, Prescott Valley, AZ
- (CBBQA) Feather Falls Casino 3-Meat Series #3, Oroville
- (KCBS) 3rd Annual Dana Point BBQ Championship, Dana Point
- (KCBS) AVI Resort & Casino Music Brews & BBQ, Laughlin, NV
- (CBBQA) 3rd Annual Classic BBQ Cook Off, Grass Valley, CA
- (KCBS) 1st Annual Rubstock BBQ Championship, Cameron Park, CA
- (KCBS) 5th Annual Smokin' on the Water, Lakeport, CA
- (KCBS) 4th Annual Golden Acorn BBQ Fest, Campo, CA
- (CBBQA) 1st Annual San Carlos Grill Off, San Carlos, CA
- (CBBQA) Feather Falls Casino 3-Meat Series #2, Oroville, CA
- (KCBS) 2nd Annual Ribs, Pigs and Watermelons, Huntington Beach CA
- (KCBS) Brentwood Cook Off & Car Show, Brentwood CA
- (KCBS) 3rd Annual Ontario Best Backyard BBQ contest, Ontario CA
- (KCBS) 5th Annual Vista Smokin' Q Classic, Vista CA
- (KCBS) 2nd Annual Siskiyou Beef Country Cook-Off Montague CA
- (KCBS) The Great American Cookoff, Woodlake CA
- (KCBS) 4th Annual Smokin' For Gold, Placerville, CA
- (KCBS) 3rd Annual Wine Country Big Q BBQ Championship, Santa Rosa, CA
- (KCBS) 2nd Annual Silicon Valley BBQ Championships, Santa Clara, CA
- (CBBQA) Feather Falls Casino 3-Meat Series #1, Oroville, CA
- (KCBS) 2nd Annual Pechanga BBQ Championship, Temecula
- (KCBS) 1st Annual California Honey Harvest Festival, Filmore, CA
- (KCBS) 3rd Annual Blues Brews & BBQ, Brentwood, CA
- (KCBS) Biggest Baddest BBQ, Bakersfield
- (KCBS) 2nd Anuual West Coast BBQ Classic, Long Beach, CA
- (KCBS) High Desert Music Festival & BBQ Showdown, Victorville, CA
- (KCBS) 2nd annual Smoke on the Mountain, San Jose
Join the CBBQA
| Our mission is to teach, enjoy, preserve, and promote barbecue as a true American food and to help various children‚Äôs charities by conducting barbecue events throughout the state of California.
New BBQ Contest/Event Information
| The California BBQ Association would also like to help promote your BBQ event. We work hand in hand with all the national sanctioning bodies for BBQ events each year here in California. Information on what options we offer the event promoters of California can be obtained by contacting our Chairman of the Contest Committee.
Please send all BBQ event inquiries to-
- List of what specific info you may be looking for.
If you have a charity that is interested in putting together a BBQ fundraiser, we would also like to hear from you.
CBBQA Team of the Year
| 2014 STANDINGS
1- Burnin and Lootin 180
Jerry Aguilar ~ Corona, CA
2- Ridge Route Boys 129
Curtis Trigueiro ~ Bakersfield, CA
3- Left Coast Q 105
Matt Dalton ~ Banning, CA
4- Bowling Over Pigs 100
Chuck Collondrez ~ Brentwood, CA
5- Woodhouse BBQ 95
John Anderson ~ St. Helena, CA
5- When Pigs Fly 95
Dale Ginos ~ Oceanside, CA
7- The Pit Crew ~ 91
Steve Wilson ~ Anaheim Hills, CA
8- Got Smoke Bar-B-Que ~ 87
Will Wilson ~
9- H&D BBQ
James Parr ~ Salt Lake City, UT
10- Smokin Mo's 78
Mike Lindley ~ Yucca Valley, CA
11- Simply Marvelous 75
Stephan Franklin ~ Ventura, CA
12- Loot N' Booty 67
Sterling Smith ~ Scottsdale, AZ
13- Lady of Q 61
Sylvie Curry ~ Ramona, CA
13- Royal Smokin Hot BBQ 61
Kevin O'Grady ~ San Jose, CA
15- Pete's Firehouse BBQ 57
Peter Lent ~ Temecula, CA
15- Big Poppa Smokers 57
Sterling Ball ~ Coachella, CA
17- Smoke Hound BBQ ® 54
Mike Brady ~ Ontario, CA
18- All Hogs Sauced Up 52
Steve Madaule ~ Lancaster, CA
19- Porketeers 50
Dennis McGrath ~ El Cajon, CA
20- Knock UR Sox Off BBQ 49
Ryan Moore ~ Fontana, CA
21- Master of Disaster 48
Andy Soto ~ Santa Ana, CA
22- Smoqued California BBQ ~ 45
Ryan Chester ~ Buena Park, CA
23- Wild Willys Smokin Hot BBQ 44
William Wilson ~ Riverside, CA
24- Son of Smoke 43
Zak Galiste ~ Central Valley, CA
25- Big D's BBQ ® 36
Angelo DiMarco ~Prunedale, CA
How to get sanctioned:
title=Apply_For_Team_Of_The_Year_Event_Sanctioning ToY Event
® = 2014 Rookie Team
-Visit the CBBQA Team of the Year 2014 Page at
http://cbbqatoy.org/ for Complete Official 2014 Standings
for all categories.
-ToY Rules can be found at [[CBBQA Team of the
Year|Team of the Year page]]