2nd Annual Sparta-Q BBQ Competition
San Jose State Softball is holding their first annual BBQ cook off to feature some of the best BBQ in Northern California. The Cook off will feature Competitive BBQ Teams that will offer up some of the best BBQ Ribs around. All proceeds will go directly to the SJSU Softball Development Fund and will assist with new additions to the stadium.
- Saturday October 25th, 2014
- Gates open at 6AM
- Racks distributed upon arrival or 7AM, whichever comes first
Teams will be given FIVE racks of untrimmed ribs to cook for two turn-in boxes; PC judges and Competition judges. Additional racks are to be used for the event pre-ticket sales of racks of ribs. Depending on sales, teams (that can) may be offered more racks of ribs to cook.
- Turn-in times begin at 1pm
The People's Choice judging will be done by six random, NON-BBQ judges or competitive BBQ cooks. These randomly selected BBQ fans will be given NO judging "rules or standards", only how to use the score cards. They will be open to public and team viewing.
The Competition Judging will be KCBS style scoring and double blind but will also be open and viewable by the public. There will be an MC hosting questions and conversation about the entries from the audience. Turn in times are still being worked out and will depend on the number of teams competiting.
San Jose State University Stadium
Directions: Exit Hwy 280 on 10th Street and head south. Use the Spartan access road on the west side of the street. There will be a sign â€śSparta-Q Competitorsâ€ť on 10th Street (between Humboldt & Alma Ave.) that will assist you to your parking area. Patrons will also enter from the 10th street entrance and enter on the east side of the stadium. We will provide parking inside the stadium for all competitors; however, please store my cell number should you get lost (916) 997-9934. 1257 S. 10th Street is the Stadiumâ€™s address should you use GPS.
Coach Peter Turner (408) 924-1253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry Fees & Extras
To Judge this fun event contact Tracy Allen at email@example.com
- The Grillionaires - Chris Cave
- S & J Smoking Barrels
- Canyon Riders - Joe & Carol Zigulis
- Up in Smoke - Scott Cody
- Hot Link & Chorizo - Robert Garcia
- Pipin' Hot Smokers - Sean Harbaugh
- Flame Thrower - Mike Harden
- DZ Grillin' - Darren Newman
- Big Pig BBQ - Tom/Linn Sharp
- Big D's BBQ - Angelo DiMarco
- Lord of the Ribs - Ralph Reyes
- Nothin' But a Q Thang - Andres Lucero
- Smokin with Joneszy - Patrick Purcell-Jones
- Double Trouble Backyard BBQ - John Upton
- Smoked Out Grillin' - Jose Macias
- Bad S BBQ - Ryan Pang
- Port City Bones BBQ & Rob's Smokin' Rubs - Rob Ryan
- Bang A Drum BBQ - Jason Clark
- Los Mexi"Q"tioners - Carlos Lopez
- Smokehouse 10 - Dave Tendick
- Cecil's Smok'n BBQ - Richard Holquin
- Hella Good BBQ - Anthony Pabros
- Pit Pros BBQ - Scott Gomes
- Tracy Allen - MCBJ/Head Judge
Grand Champion -