Traeger modifications!

9 replies to this topic

#1 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

--Bentley Dark Lord of the Pellet

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

Since I have not had a chance to get out and see Harold to modify my old 075, I decided I would do a little tinkering myself.  Added these hooks so I can "hang" my brisket and maybe ribs.  I have always wanted a vertical smoker box.  I don't know why I think it is going to make a brisket better, it just seem like it will cook better if it is not touching a grill.  I know that makes no sense...but hey folks it's me.  (Larry what do you think?)

Will try one tomorrow so my Uncles will have meat this weekend while I am away at the Q-fest.  They are leaving Sunday and thought they were going to get away without having to endure one, but they are my next guinea pigs!

The beast, as you can see from this picture is a little "soiled"!  Am gonna pressure wash it and sand it tomorrow and then put 5 coats of new heat resistiant paint on that mutha...should look almost brand new!!!

Posted Image

#2 Kristin Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:22 PM

Looks perfect for hanging those little Cornish Game Hens on. Peter, the BBQ world was not yet ready for my drummetee venture. How do you think they would react to Cornish Game Hens?

#3 Gordon H.

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

/DesktopModules/NTForums/images/emoticons/blink.gif

#4 Robert Diaz

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, dogs, poker and mixed martial arts (MMA)

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:46 AM

Bent,

I'm not trying to be mean, but those hooks look like they could only hang a couple of ribs at most. I had hooks made for a verticle I have at home and they seem to be a lot larger than those. How did you plan to hang the Brisket? Perhaps I don't know how to use the hook method it very well, but my food does not come out any different laying on a grill. I'm also a believer that you should refrain from puncturing the food before or during cooking.

Good luck and let us know how your trial goes. Hopefully those holes can be sealed right, if you decide you don't want to use the hooks.

#5 Bram Britcher

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:12 AM

You could create a brisket hammock out of butcher's twine. Maybe some jerk rub to give it that island flavor.

Anyways, looks like eyebolts for the ultimate in hook configurability.

#6 Peter Benac

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photography, BBQ

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:40 AM

Posted By Kristin Meredith on 02/08/2007 12:22 AM
Looks perfect for hanging those little Cornish Game Hens on. Peter, the BBQ world was not yet ready for my drummetee venture. How do you think they would react to Cornish Game Hens?

How are you going to fit six of them in that little box??  

I'd tell your brother how to impart good flavor in a brisket, but I want to see him hang it..

I am sooo glad I don't have to "modify" my Eggs..

Ohhh Bently I bought another one..  I have 5 now.. 

#7 Gordon H.

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

Posted By Bram Britcher on 02/08/2007 10:12 AM

You could create a brisket hammock out of butcher's twine.

That would seem the best option

#8 Bentley Meredith

Talks way too Much

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:"Pellet burners began in the time when Evil Stick Burners ruled BBQ history, when the Traegers made themselves into kings…and gods…using the powers of the dark side of the Force. The Technologically minded have ever been ready to obey one who wields great power. Those who learned the powers of the dark side were quick to exploit this techonology—to make War on Evil Stick Burners. Again and again the dark side has surged forth, like a storm…devouring whole backyards and entire BBQ Competitions. Those who mastered The Dark power became The Dark power. They unleashed destruction, for no other reason to anger the Evil Stick Burners. They despoiled Eggheads…destroyed whole groups of WSM civilizations, and crushed the Elitist charcoal burners. Some of them, I am ashamed to say, have returned to the Evil Stick burner."

--Bentley Dark Lord of the Pellet

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:08 PM

All you skeptics will see... I will be like the Phoneix.  My goal is to finish in the top 5 once in brisket in 2007. Anyone else have any goals for the 2007 BBQ season?

#9 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

Posted By Bentley Meredith on 02/08/2007 10:08 PM
 Anyone else have any goals for the 2007 BBQ season?
Great idea Bentley! I think this thought is worthy of it's own thread!

#10 LAURENCE HILL

CBBQA President - 2009 & 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Woodworking

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:50 PM

Bently you got to stop letting all the pellet secrets out, next you will slip and let out the recipe for the Peanut butter, spam, chicken fat and eggnog brisket injection I told you about!!!!! ,

The string idea looks interesting like a brisket trap ease, Cornish hens might look tasty hanging as Kristin suggested..

Careful with the paint, do a good burn before cooking, old Betsy is one seasoned grill.

Once again the question is asked genius or madman,.. Looks like I keep good company .. Keep on cutting edge Qn.

Bently can you put this in a do it yourself kit for Traeger to market ? (great job on photo)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users