#43 Jason Fisher

CBBQA Co-Rookie Team of the Year - 2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Mopars, BBQ

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

View Postjonathan reimer, on 19 February 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

Garnish or No Garnish??

Your choice, just like a KCBS contest. If you plan on using garnish at contests I'd do at least one box with garnish. That way the judges can give you feedback on it. If you're planning on using garnish bring curly parsley and lettuce. There will be plenty of people there to give a garnish lesson either Friday night or Saturday morning if anyone is interested.

#44 jonathan reimer

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Sounds good, I've been thinking about trying a different garnish method

#45 Scott Simpson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Free diving, pipes and cigars, camping, competition BBQ

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'd like to propose a change to the turnin order. The turnin times are fine, it's just the order of turnins has me confused. If this is a warmup for comps then I think the turnin order of meats should reflect that of KCBS. Currently, the order seems a bit PNWBA'ish with the turnin order of pork, brisket, chicken, ribs.

I propose we change the turnin order to reflect the order we'll actually be turning in at a contest in CA (most of the time anyway) which is the standard KCBS turnin in order of chicken, ribs, pork, brisket.

So I propose the meat turnin order look like this:
11AM - 11:50AM: chicken
12PM - 12:50PM: ribs
1PM - 1:50PM: pork
2PM - 2:50PM: brisket

This would help the new teams understand the order/sequence that meat will requested at a real contest. 95% of the time anyway. We don't seem to have any PNWBA contests in NorCal that I know of. It just makes more sense to me to reflect KCBS turnin order more than PNWBA at a competition warmup event.

Edited by Scott Simpson, 25 February 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#46 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostScott Simpson, on 25 February 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

I'd like to propose a change to the turnin order. The turnin times are fine, it's just the order of turnins has me confused. If this is a warmup for comps then I think the turnin order of meats should reflect that of KCBS. Currently, the order seems a bit PNWBA'ish with the turnin order of pork, brisket, chicken, ribs.

I propose we change the turnin order to reflect the order we'll actually be turning in at a contest in CA (most of the time anyway) which is the standard KCBS turnin in order of chicken, ribs, pork, brisket.

So I propose the meat turnin order look like this:
11AM - 11:50AM: chicken
12PM - 12:50PM: ribs
1PM - 1:50PM: pork
2PM - 2:50PM: brisket

This would help the new teams understand the order/sequence that meat will requested at a real contest. 95% of the time anyway. We don't seem to have any PNWBA contests in NorCal that I know of. It just makes more sense to me to reflect KCBS turnin order more than PNWBA at a competition warmup event.

In theory that maybe true.

The reason we went with this timeline has to do with teams who only want to cook the short meats who can arrive early in the AM and still cook this event (making this a single day event for them). Going the "normal" route they are forced plan for an overnight stay.

Currently about half the field is only doing the short cooks, not really fair to them to change it after they've signed up for it this way.

Edited by Ben Lobenstein, 25 February 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#47 Derrick Galiste

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:BBQ and Photography

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

I agree with Scott, the majority is cooking all four and should be standard turn ins.
The short cooks are still reasonable at those times and I don't think anyone would be forced to stay overnight to cook ribs an hour or so earlier.
We have done many contests with rib turn ins at noon and have shown up that day...no biggie.
I vote to for standard turn ins but if it don't change, we'll cook to what is given.

#48 Jon Davis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Im seeing both sides. Standard turn in times make sense. But it was setup with rookie teams and short cooking teams in mind and having It be a bit easier for them. Changing times and then having them possibly changing their plans at this point isn't fair. Now if every team was already planning on being there overnight anyway, then that'd be different. Personally I was thinking the times were gonna be a bit difficult to run... but I knew that when I signed up. So at this point I'm with Ben.

#49 Scott Simpson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

I see your point Ben and we'll cook it the way it's set if that's how it works best for the majority. And agree that it's probably too late as you said some have signed up due to the cooking turnin order and times.

Edited by Scott Simpson, 25 February 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#50 Dave & Deny Bart

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:waterskiing, snowskiing, camping, cooking, wine tasting, and just plain enjoying life!

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Well folks, one week away and the weather looks like it is going to cooperate, so it should be a great time. I was hoping that we might be able to get a few more judges, so any of you judges out there that want to come on out, please sign up on the Wiki and come on out.

#51 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

View PostDave & Deny Bart, on 01 March 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Well folks, one week away and the weather looks like it is going to cooperate, so it should be a great time. I was hoping that we might be able to get a few more judges, so any of you judges out there that want to come on out, please sign up on the Wiki and come on out.

Looks like I'm going to get Chris Allingham to join us...

#52 Dave & Deny Bart

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:waterskiing, snowskiing, camping, cooking, wine tasting, and just plain enjoying life!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Please let us know what you will be bringing (i.e., trailer (size), canopies, etc.) so we can try and position everyone by Thursday. This will help alot with the organization. Any special requests with trailer sizes, please let us know. We want to make this as smooth as possible.

Thanks

Dave and Deny

#53 jonathan reimer

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

My trailer is 25' overall length and 8' wide
If a 120v power is available that would be sweet
I'll be there slightly after 12 noon on Friday

#54 Jason Mahy

• CBBQA Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

this is Jason from Unclebuck's just giving you our list for Friday night potluck. We will bring stuffed mushrooms,sweet potato souffles,Mexican carrots and Dutch crust stuffed bread bowls. As for equipment we will have two trucks one 17ft smoker and a med. size RV. We will set up three canopies for our work station. See everyone friday afternoon.

#55 Scott Simpson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

Dave, the Yankees truck will fit into a 20x40 spot. An end spot would be appreciated.

#56 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

We're bringing our usual 5th wheel rig. We should be there around 2:00 Friday.

#57 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostJason Mahy, on 04 March 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

this is Jason from Unclebuck's just giving you our list for Friday night potluck. We will bring stuffed mushrooms,sweet potato souffles,Mexican carrots and Dutch crust stuffed bread bowls. As for equipment we will have two trucks one 17ft smoker and a med. size RV. We will set up three canopies for our work station. See everyone friday afternoon.

Yes! I remember the souffles from last year, good chit!

#58 Sean Harbaugh

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Member of CBBQA and KCBS. Loves BBQ and all things Scottish.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'll be bringing our 10' equipment trailer. Our canopy is 10x10. We're an outdoorsy kind of family, so we'll be pitching a tent for sleeping. See everyone this Friday.

Sean

#59 Derrick Galiste

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:BBQ and Photography

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

6x12 foot enclosed trailer plus Honda Pilot, 10x10 canopy...we can fit in a 10x20. Arriving late Friday afternoon/early evening.

The turn in schedule has 12 teams listed, what times will teams 13 and 14 turn in?

Edited by Derrick Galiste, 05 March 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#60 Jess Trujillo

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Hi Dave - A typical 20 x 20 competition space with 110 power source will work for us. We're bringing a 10' utility trailer:(cookers are mounted to the trailer), (1) 10 x 10 canopy and 2 tents. The "PLAN" is to arrive approx 3pm (MPT) Friday.

Gracias,
JT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users