←  General BBQ Events

California BBQ Association Forum

»

Wiki: 3rd Annual Smoke on the Mountain

Tracy Allen's Photo Tracy Allen 18 Dec 2013

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: 3rd Annual Smoke on the Mountain

Kevin Barteaux's Photo Kevin Barteaux 18 Dec 2013

Any chance of it gaining TOY status?

Steve Wilson's Photo Steve Wilson 19 Dec 2013

Very good chance. ToY is available to all 4 meat nationally sanctioned events as long as the promoter pays their fees and submits te paper work.

Frank Portera's Photo Frank Portera 19 Dec 2013

Count Porktera BBQ in on this one... Great Event and close to home!

Carlos Lopez's Photo Carlos Lopez 19 Dec 2013

We are in for this one as well, had a good time last year.

Kevin Barteaux's Photo Kevin Barteaux 19 Dec 2013

View PostSteve Wilson, on 19 December 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

ToY is available to all 4 meat nationally sanctioned events...

I guess I should have asked if the event plans on being nationally sanctioned first. Unfortunately they would have to completely get rid of the open judging portion, which I was hoping could just be revamped to make the judging more blind (like on Pitmasters for example).

Dang, I forgot about that requirement!

Tracy Allen's Photo Tracy Allen 19 Dec 2013

Don't think Mark has plans to make this a sanctioned event this year, so open format judging will still be in play.

However, as you may have noticed the date will probably have to change as April 20th is Easter Sunday.

Will let you know as soon as possible.

Matt Dalton's Photo Matt Dalton 31 Dec 2013

Since the other thread was hijacked I'll start a thread about this contest since we have a few members concerned about the board being "flexible" with this contest..the wiki page has zero information on it so maybe we can get a little more insight..is this contest a four meat nationally sanctioned event?

Derrick Galiste's Photo Derrick Galiste 31 Dec 2013

Make it a double contest or offer the open judging after the designated turn ins.
The first day make it an open contest, as the original.
The second day, 4 meat standard contest with standard judging.

Tracy Allen's Photo Tracy Allen 31 Dec 2013

Lots of good ideas for Mark Brown. But I think the Easter Sunday date concern has to be settled first.

Adam Berns's Photo Adam Berns 01 Jan 2014

I am in. Smoke and Berns.
Time to go solo, Love Pam and Scott, but I gotta try.

Kevin Barteaux's Photo Kevin Barteaux 01 Jan 2014

Go get 'em! But who will make the jello?

Mark Brown's Photo Mark Brown 02 Jan 2014

I am working on the date.... this Easter thing is a pain. I am waiting on info for another date

Darry Smith's Photo Darry Smith 02 Jan 2014

I had hoped this event was going to step up to KCBS this year. We need more major BBQ events here in the Bay Area.

Sean Harbaugh's Photo Sean Harbaugh 02 Jan 2014

Pipin' Hot Smokers BBQ would like to be in on this.

--Sean

Scott Hares's Photo Scott Hares 02 Jan 2014

Lets not forget Mark is working hard on his new restaurant Smoke N' Wings in San Jose and taking SOTM KCBS pro or competitor might be wishful thinking this year - as much as I'd like to see that happen too.

Either way, this is a premier fundraiser & open judging event with matching location and facilities.

Carlos Lopez's Photo Carlos Lopez 13 Jan 2014

View PostMark Brown, on 02 January 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

I am working on the date.... this Easter thing is a pain. I am waiting on info for another date
Any update/info on a new date? Just wondering because I need to put the request in for time off from work.

Tracy Allen's Photo Tracy Allen 04 Feb 2014

Just got work from the organizer that due to time constraints and business issues, Smoke on the Mountain will be CANCELED this year.

Frank Portera's Photo Frank Portera 04 Feb 2014

That is truly a bummer! One of my favorite comps...