Wiki: 3rd Annual Silicon Valley BBQ Championship

55 replies to this topic

#21 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

Team list is update. Please contact me if you sent your entry in and don't see your teams name. This list includes all entries that I have received as of May 5th.

#22 Frank Portera

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Basically if it tastes good or goes fast... I'm in!

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

32 teams already... That's awesome Frank!

By the way... You spelled "Porktera BBQ" wrong... :hmm:

#23 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

Fixed Porktera

Sorry all thumbs today :)

#24 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

There will be showers available to all teams at the swim center on Friday and Saturday. It will cost $6 per person, $5 if your a Santa Clara resident. I will be posting times soon.

#25 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Group discount ??? ha, ha, ha!

We are in a drought!

Nice add on, Frank. You just keep making this event better each year.

Edited by Ric Gilbert, 12 May 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#26 Carlton Allen

Hello

• CBBQA Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Bbq, World of Warcraft, travel.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hello everyone. I am new to competing and this is my first contest. I am truly excited and can't wait to jump in feet first. I want to have a good estimate of meat I should bring for samples. I have been catering for years and the worseT thing is to run out of food. Also, are sides also sampled?

#27 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostBIGSHON, on 12 May 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Hello everyone. I am new to competing and this is my first contest. I am truly excited and can't wait to jump in feet first. I want to have a good estimate of meat I should bring for samples. I have been catering for years and the worseT thing is to run out of food. Also, are sides also sampled?

Welcome aboard. Be sure to come by and say hi if you get a chance. We don't do the samples anymore (aka People's Choice aka PC) but when we did we found the worse thing was to bring too much food. This established event has been well attended though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

#28 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Who are we?

We are The Rotary Club of Santa Clara!

Check out our new club website to learn about the our many children's programs that our club runs and are supported by the funds raised by the Silicon Valley BBQ Championships.

www.santaclararotary.org

#29 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

Credit Cards

We are now excepting credit card payments for team entry fee's. I will be updating the entry form this weekend so you can enter in your CC info. We take VISA and MasterCard.

#30 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Teams Sampling or Considering Sampling

The public will be purchasing sampling kits which include poker chips to us when purchasing samples. In kit they will also be given forks and 2 oz. dish for you to place your sample in. You do not need to supply any plate dish or bowel for the public. All teams will be given trays to hold the poker chips that you collect. As the trays fill up they will be collect and you will be reimbursed on the spot in Cash. All teams sampling will be fully reimbursed in Cash at the end of the day Saturday June 28th. You won't need to wait for a check to be sent to you in the mail

We encourage all teams sampling to sell both Friday and Saturday. We have massive marketing campaign covering the Bay Area kicking off in 2 weeks and expect large crowds.

#31 Carlton Allen

Hello

• CBBQA Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostKevin Barteaux, on 12 May 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Welcome aboard. Be sure to come by and say hi if you get a chance. We don't do the samples anymore (aka People's Choice aka PC) but when we did we found the worse thing was to bring too much food. This established event has been well attended though, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Question when you did do people choice how did you estimate the amout of food to bring. Thank you for you time and help

#32 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

BIGSHON- It is dependent on your smokers capacity. Ribs are far and away what the people want. If you cook ribs, they will come. You can cover your costs and most of the time make a bit of money towards your next contest selling your PC samples but it is a whole lot more work & it comes at a cost to your competition meats. As this is your first contest I would suggest not to kill yourself and concentrate on the contest and sell your leftovers. Maybe even throw on a few extra pieces for the fans. I have yet to see a team go big on PC and win a contest. You need to ask yourself if you would rather make money the hard way- by selling PC or the easy way by winning the contest. How good is your Q?

Edited by Steve Wilson, 20 May 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#33 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm probably not the best guy to ask as we got burned bringing too much food a couple of times. You may want to start out slow and just sell your leftover contest food. Hopefully others can chime in. Starting a new thread on the subject may help also.

#34 Brian Gutierrez

What can I say I like it here

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostFrank Walsh, on 16 May 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

Teams Sampling or Considering Sampling

The public will be purchasing sampling kits which include poker chips to us when purchasing samples. In kit they will also be given forks and 2 oz. dish for you to place your sample in. You do not need to supply any plate dish or bowel for the public. All teams will be given trays to hold the poker chips that you collect. As the trays fill up they will be collect and you will be reimbursed on the spot in Cash. All teams sampling will be fully reimbursed in Cash at the end of the day Saturday June 28th. You won't need to wait for a check to be sent to you in the mail

We encourage all teams sampling to sell both Friday and Saturday. We have massive marketing campaign covering the Bay Area kicking off in 2 weeks and expect large crowds.

Hi Frank,

Are we limited to comp meat samples only or can we do other meat items and sides?

#35 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hi Brian

Were not putting on any limitations on what you serve this year as long as it is BBq and no bigger than 2 ounces.

#36 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

The entry form has been updated for credit card payments. You can fill it out and email, fax or snail mail it to me.

#37 Carlton Allen

Hello

• CBBQA Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Thank you guys for the help looking forward to seeing all you there and leafing for some of the best.

#38 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

BBQ team list is current as of Monday morning.

If you wish to sell samples, I need your entry form buy tomorrow June 3rd.

Email was sent to all teams signed up for sampling with health permit paper work attached. We need the permit form and check in my hands no later than June 9th.

#39 Frank Walsh

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

For those interested in the Backyard BBQ we've decided to the increase the max number of entries to 20. There are a couple more spots left and I will need your entry form by June 20th.

Also want to thank all of the teams that will be sampling for getting me their health permit paper work in on time.

Will be sending out a detailed email on event and comp details by the end of the week.

#40 Jon Green

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

I sent in a judging application months ago, along with a couple followup emails but never heard anything back. If my name isn't on the confirmed judges list, should I assume that means "don't show up"?

Edited by Jon Green, 18 June 2014 - 07:58 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users