Wiki: CBBQA Competition Class

61 replies to this topic

#41 TimW

Forum Nut Job

• Global Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

We had two seats open up for the competition class. We have tried to contact everyone on the wait list so we are now opening it up. If you or anyone you know are interested in taking the class, please register at cbbqi.com.

#42 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Interests:BBQ
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

I grabbed one

#43 sterling ball

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Im going to be teaching my 1993 pork....

#44 Dale Ginos

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Andy, you have read the no alcohol policy yes?

#45 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostDale Ginos, on 08 January 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Andy, you have read the no alcohol policy yes?
Yes sir, I did.... I only have three beers left of the six I took to Lake Elsinore...

#46 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

View Poststerling ball, on 08 January 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Im going to be teaching my 1993 pork....

1993 was a good year....

#47 Dale Ginos

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Is that three left of six packs?

#48 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

actually... two six packs... was way too sick to drink that weekend.

#49 Stephan Franklin

President

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Well, I am finally home after cleaning up. I hope the class was everything the attendees thought it would be. I want to thank Tim for administering the class, Sean from Meat Me Blog for AV and Jaime from Simply Marvelous BBQ for catering the class.

Our instructors were very giving in technique, flavor profile, knowledge, mindset, etc. Thanks, Jerry for the brisket lesson, Matt (and Moe and James) for the Rib lesson and Sterling for not only the Pork lesson, but for providing the AV equipment, his direct link to the Strube's for the Waygu Ribeye and brisket donation, his rub donation know how and James The Flame!

I need to hit the showers and I am sure there will be more to come.

Edited by Stephan Franklin, 12 January 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#50 sterling ball

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thank u Steph and Tim. Great site and great group of teachers and classmates. Really a positive experience. Thx also to Tia Strube for the brisket and three wagyu prime ribs

#51 Michael Wheeler

Hello

• CBBQA Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Wow, What a great event, more than we could have ever wanted. All of the instructors really gave us everything they have, it was a treat.

Steph, thanks for the kick in the A.. to get me there.

Sterling, Fantastic speaker and thanks for the from heart help and ideas (what a gadget list) you are willing to share with us.

Sean, amazing AV work, the class would not have been complete, and accessible without it.

Thanks again to all who made it happen.

Monkey

#52 Jon Hart

• CBBQA Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Wanted to say THANK YOU to Stephan ,Matt , Sterling and Jerry for the wealth of knowledge and information you guys shared this weekend. It was a great class and left with a ton of information . Thank you Tim for all your work in helping put on this even.

#53 Bryan Wood

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Fishing, and BBQ

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

To all of you in CBBQA who made the class happen and taught the lessons--Thank You!

Matt, Sterling, Jerry, and Steph...you all are true ambassadors to BBQ! This was more than a class...this was a true display of what Matt referred to as "paying it forward." To genuinely appreciate what these guys gave us this weekend, you have to grasp the perspective that each one of them worked, struggled, sacrificed, fought, and went through their own trials in bbq competition--they learned what worked--became successful at it--and turned right back around to give it all back to us.

It takes sincere loyalty to the sport and it's fellow competitors, as well as to the greater mission of bbq itself, to find consistently winning combinations; and then, instead of locking them away in a vault-- give it up to those like me who aspire to be as successful in the bbq world. This is what makes competition bbq so much more than cooking--it is community. I appreciate it more than can be said.

So just as Harry Soo also mentioned today, I hope that I will have similar successes in bbq using the lessons learned this weekend, so that I can also "return the good energy" and pay it forward like you all did today. You gave me a "starting point" that I know is leaps and bounds ahead of the pack; as I am sure you also propelled many of the more seasoned cooks to a higher level as well. Top notch. Thanks again. You all represented.

Woody

#54 sterling ball

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Woody that thread makes it all worthwhile. Thanks

#55 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the class and I hope it brings you some future success..big thanks to Tim And Steph for putting this together for everyone to enjoy and learn..also thanks to Sterling for his equipment and to Tia for her meat..last but not least tthanks to the classmates Jerry,Steph and Sterling you guys helped me feel comfortable and I think all of us being able to not only talk the meat we were cooking but talking about comp BBQ in general was of great benefit to the students...the responses above make me smile..good luck to you students with your new knowledge.

#56 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Great Job Guys. Four of the best Pitmasters in the Country shared their technique and philosophies with 29 students. This was my fourth BBQ class and from top to bottom, the most information I have ever recieved. I will be writing an article for the front page, but here I'd just like to give my personal thank You to Tim, for his great enthusiasm to organize such a first class event, and to the Instructors, Steph, Jerry, Matt and Sterling for giving back. The was a first class class done in a first class manner by five first class guys. Thank You!!!

#57 Park Warne

New to this forum

• CBBQA Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

I just wanted to second (or third, fourth, or more) what all the other attendees have said so far. I gigantic thanks to all the presenters (Jerry, Matt, Steph and Sterling) for enough good information that my note-taking hand hurt afterwards, and to Tim for is boundless enthusiasm!

When my wife Annie and I got to the class I have to say I was a bit intimidated, given not only the talent demonstrating their tips and techniques but by the accumulated talent of the other attendees! Once the class got going, I realized that we were all in the same boat - trying to improve our skills from wherever we are to the best we can be. Though we haven't competed yet (but I did hear your advice, Andy!) we are both looking forward to our first experience, hopefully armed with enough knowledge to not be completely embarrassed!

But like Sterling said, make your first goal to get all the meats turned in on time!

#58 Tara Allen

• CBBQA Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Wine, Fishing, Golf (sometimes!), Gardening, Football

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

I would like to reiterate the comments of all my peers . . . this class was all I expected and more! I, too, was a little apprehensive about signing up due to my lack of competitive experience. I knew that I would learn a lot, but what I did not expect was the encouragement to just get out there and enter a contest. I really appreciated the camaraderie of this group and felt very welcomed by all . . . thank you!

Special thanks to all that made this event possible . . . presenters, donors, coordinators, catering, A/V, and those behind the scenes!

I look forward to seeing you all in the coming months - thanks again not only for the information but also the inspiration! :-)

Tara

#59 Dale Ginos

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Great job guys. My notebook is full, my battery is recharged and my spirits are high! Thank you.

#60 Chris Visconti

New to this forum

• CBBQA Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Wow............just got home to my computer and it seems like it has all been said already..........

Thanks to all that made this class possible and to those who attended the class, that took the time to network and discuss various subjects with me.

Being new to the comp circuit (3 cooks) it was huge

Chris

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users