Wiki: The Great American Cookoff

201 replies to this topic

#41 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostBenny Adauto, on 01 June 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

Sorry Ben but the calendar states "CBBQA Approved Events". That tells me someone with authority to approve events needs to add it.
That wording has been there for years and nobody to my knowledge has ever really studied it's meaning so carefully before. But it's true - you too can update the calendar just like any of us members. That's why the wiki so cool - it's self serve.

The 'approved' part probably applies to the rules for posting events to the wiki - must be a business member etc, etc.

#42 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostScott Hares, on 01 June 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

That wording has been there for years and nobody to my knowledge has ever really studied it's meaning so carefully before. But it's true - you too can update the calendar just like any of us members. That's why the wiki so cool - it's self serve.

The 'approved' part probably applies to the rules for posting events to the wiki - must be a business member etc, etc.

That's exactly how it was explained to me when I asked a moderator.

#43 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Why do you guys give this man so much grief over a wiki page he could care less about..people are going to this contest either way..we TEAMS would like to see it posted there on the front page..It helps those that need a little info..there is a bunch of meaningless backyard events posted on our front page(clutter in my eyes)..so Abel yes post it up please for the teams to see..wether this event is TOY or not it's going to draw teams from north to south..board members please stop trying to make it difficult.

Edited by matt dalton, 02 June 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#44 Derrick Galiste

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:BBQ and Photography

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

This should be on the wiki...motion?
I think the CBBQA and it's teams are lucky to have Alrie put on a high pay out contest in CA, I would like to see it be a TOY race for some points for obvious reasons.
While each team will most likely spend the same amount on gas, food and toilet paper to enter this contest as it would to make this a TOY contest you just can't resist that payout.
This contest is the perfect spot for both nor cal and so cal teams.

#45 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

View Postmatt dalton, on 02 June 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

..board members please stop trying to make it difficult.

This board member would be happy to see this on the calendar wiki. Remember, most any member can edit the calendar wiki, go for it.

#46 Stephan Franklin

President

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostDana Myers, on 02 June 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

This board member would be happy to see this on the calendar wiki. Remember, most any member can edit the calendar wiki, go for it.

It is already there ;)

#47 Derrick Galiste

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:BBQ and Photography

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

:clapping: :good: :drinks: :db:

#48 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostStephan Franklin, on 02 June 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

It is already there ;)

Looks like Tracy took care of it - thank you!

#49 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

View Postmatt dalton, on 02 June 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

..board members please stop trying to make it difficult.
This even was not already on the calendar because the promoter didn't add it himself nor ask someone to add it. There has been absolutely no obstruction from any board member, and no board member ever said it didn't qualify to listed there, so I'm disappointed to see how quickly such presumptions are made.

#50 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostScott Hares, on 02 June 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

This even was not already on the calendar because the promoter didn't add it himself nor ask someone to add it. There has been absolutely no obstruction from any board member, and no board member ever said it didn't qualify to listed there, so I'm disappointed to see how quickly such presumptions are made.
Scott I'm not making any presumptions..all I'm saying is there seems to always be an issue regarding the wiki and entering info..it needs to be made easier.

#51 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

View Postmatt dalton, on 02 June 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Scott I'm not making any presumptions..all I'm saying is there seems to always be an issue regarding the wiki and entering info..it needs to be made easier.
issue? Seemed like a lot of talking and no action... sounds like quite a few guys I used to know.

Any active member could have used the edit tab at the top of the home page.

#52 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostTracy Allen, on 02 June 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

issue? Seemed like a lot of talking and no action... sounds like quite a few guys I used to know.

You absolutely don't get it at all..first off this isn't the first time Arlie has been given a tough time dealing with not only the wiki but the board in general..as I've stated in the posts above it needs to be easier for everyone to input info..also someone like Arlie puts contests on all over the country..not just here in Ca..in no other state does he have to maintain a wiki page..and honestly that should be the last of his worries..we as TEAMS benifit from having a wiki page..not promoters they could really care less..bottom line here is Tracy this man doesn't need roadblocks or a bunch of bull here he needs open and welcoming arms..he's doing good work here in Ca and has put on great events..I'd hate to see him go away over stupid petty crap..simple enough?

#53 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostTracy Allen, on 02 June 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Oh Tracy, you love to mess with us boys' heads, don't you? ;-)

It is a little more than that. The front page is specially protected unlike the rest of the pages. If one clicks on "View Source" and scrolls down, you get to the "Upcoming Events" link - just click here to go to it - and that does have an edit tab for registered users.

Upcoming Events is part of the front page but it's editable as if it is a page by itself.

#54 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Dana,

When Ben posted about anyone being able to edit, I tried and could not find a way. Now that I know the path, I will not hesitate to post in the future. I think I'll start with all the concerts in the park here in Whittier.

I'm just kidding (about the concerts), although I do think there has to be some control.

Edited by Benny Adauto, 02 June 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#55 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

The front page is special, takes a little figuring out, we need to get some "helper" links on there I think.

#56 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

View Postmatt dalton, on 02 June 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

You absolutely don't get it at all..first off this isn't the first time Arlie has been given a tough time dealing with not only the wiki but the board in general..as I've stated in the posts above it needs to be easier for everyone to input info..

I agree with Matt, although I don't like the wikki, I do like how it's self served and allows members to create and modify pages as needed. However we need to remember that what may be easy for some will be difficult for others. Not long ago Arlie was simply trying to copy and paste a team list from Word to the wikki and simply couldn't. Based on the below he was clearly feed up and needed help.

View PostArlie Bragg, on 28 March 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

Ok, so I posted the list again and it is all ran together. How is it I can post a list to any other of the dozens of state forums by cut and paste and they all work but California? I dont know what else to do? If someone wants to call me and tell me how to cut and paste it where it will look right feel free to do so.

Thanks

We all need to remember that Arlie, is a paying business member here and has paid more than one TOY fee and has done a LOT for CA in regards to sport of BBQ just like lots of other promoters. If I have to create and update the wikki for all his events I would do so gladly to show my support and thanks for all that he has done and that goes for any other promoter as well.

#57 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Is having this event be a TOY event important to you? It is to me and I am willing to put my Money where my mouth is and I ask others to step up and help also. I am willing to pay the TOY Fee and I am asking the other teams that feel this is important to help me with the cost. At the BOD Meeting on the 19th of this Month, I will ask the BOD to waive the late fee and sanction this event for the normal $150. As a voting member of the BOD, I will of course vote to support this action.

I would like to hear from 14 other teams that will be at this event, that will step up and give me $10 at the contest to support this cause. Who's in to get this event TOY sanctioned?

#58 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 04 June 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Is having this event be a TOY event important to you? It is to me and I am willing to put my Money where my mouth is and I ask others to step up and help also. I am willing to pay the TOY Fee and I am asking the other teams that feel this is important to help me with the cost. At the BOD Meeting on the 19th of this Month, I will ask the BOD to waive the late fee and sanction this event for the normal $150. As a voting member of the BOD, I will of course vote to support this action.

Can you really do that? Offer to pay for something, and then use the power of your office to reduce what you're paying? I'm sure it isn't intentional, but sounds like a conflict of interest.

#59 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

I see what your saying, but do not see it as a conflict of interest. The competitor in me wants TOY sanctioning. The BOD in me wants to do what's right for the membership. I look at this as a win for the membership, a win for the BOD and a win for our promoter.

#60 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 04 June 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

I see what your saying, but do not see it as a conflict of interest. The competitor in me wants TOY sanctioning. The BOD in me wants to do what's right for the membership. I look at this as a win for the membership, a win for the BOD and a win for our promoter.

Are you sure you don't see a conflict of interest?

Now, if you offered to make up the $100 late fee, I believe that would avoid a conflict of interest :-)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users