3rd Place

$250.00

#22 Donna Fong

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Jumping Jehosaphat! I was just kidding when I asked. Nobody's ever given me anything for placing third other than a nice pat on the back....sometimes Madule gets excited but nothing like $2k. I'll try not to exhaust myself right before the contest then. Thanks Arlie.

Oh, BTW, Miranda will be with me. Anything goes for dessert? We still have nightmares about peach cobblers for some reason.....

#23 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Is this going to be a Ca. TOY event?

#24 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Steve with the money I am giving away will that make a difference if you attend or not?

#25 Zachary Galiste

Zack Galiste

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

TOY points would be a plus... :punk:

#26 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

I see your point. Sending application. TOY would be a nice added benefit for Ca. Teams. It would be a 100 pointer with 60 teams. That's NICE.

#27 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

The money is enough of an incentive Arlie. Besides what did the new TOY fees (triple) get a promoter that they already didn't receive? However, is there anything in the rules to prevent teams from pitching in and paying the TOY fees? I'm sure, if it is important enough for some teams, maybe they should consider that.

Edited by Benny Adauto, 30 May 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#28 Dale Ginos

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

App is in the mail. Maybe we can get another Pork call.

#29 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

Does this mean this will not be a TOY event?

#30 Sterling Smith

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 30 May 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

TOY would be a nice added benefit for Ca. Teams.

And 1 AZ team...

#31 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I would like to see this be a TOY Santioned Event. While the $30,000 prize pool is impressive, and would be a thrill to win, the pool is decisively top heavy. For most of us, finishing somewhere in the top ten is an outstanding accomplishment and provides valuable points in a TOY Sanctioned event. This "Top Heavy" prize pool does not trickle down to the 60 or so teams that will be competing. It benefits the top 3 to 5 finishers.

If you look at this like a horse race there are favorites, middle of the pack finishers and long shots. No different than what we will have at The Great American Cookoff, everyone has a chance to win, but for a handful, their odds are significantly better at winning any given contest. I'm not bitching about the payout or how it's structured. That's how the game is, and I choose to play, Fine. I plan to bring the best meats I can, I plan to follow my plan and turn in the best BBQ I can make. Realistically, I will be extremely pleased with a top 20 finish, Cartwheels for a top 10 and above that, I can't even imagine how pleased I would be.

As a team that may pop for a walk or two, I would consider this a great day. I probably won't see the big $, but if I am luck enough, that would be exciting. So all the work and dedication will have very little benefit if this contest is not TOY Sanctioned.

It's $250 to get TOY Sanctioning, because you are between 30 and 90 days from the event. It is important to many of us and would be greatly appreciated.

#32 Arlie Bragg

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Steve can you tell me what I get for the $250.00 that I didn't get for the $50.00 I paid for the others. Then tell me what the teams get more because I paid $250.00 and not $50.00 for this contest because it was added at a late date. Your TOY is all about a trophy and last season one of your board wasn't even going to give out the trophies. Let me tell you that still upsets me and many others. Frankly there was no cause for you to raise your prices?

#33 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

You get Banner rotation on the website, Contest placement on the front page calendar, the main info page for teams, the teams get team of the year points and funding for our TOY competition. So, basically nothing, but your $250, will be well used by the people that love and support you and your events. To me it's just a cost of doing business. The information on the front page is very useful to the teams and I would think to you as well. I don't know why it costs $100 more for less than 90 days, but that's the way it is.

From my perspective, the money reward is super nice but I don't really expect it, if I win it great. But the satisfaction of TOY points at the end of the year is very satisfying.

#34 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostArlie Bragg, on 31 May 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Steve can you tell me what I get for the $250.00 that I didn't get for the $50.00 I paid for the others. Then tell me what the teams get more because I paid $250.00 and not $50.00 for this contest because it was added at a late date. Your TOY is all about a trophy and last season one of your board wasn't even going to give out the trophies. Let me tell you that still upsets me and many others. Frankly there was no cause for you to raise your prices?
Arlie, the fee increase was done to fund the ToY awards with any excess going towards charitable disbursements at the end of the year. And awards were handed out on time as scheduled. Just statement of fact, not meant to influence your decision on ToY.

#35 Dale Ginos

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

This organizer's opinion -

Three things motivate competitors in CA, not in any particular order:
  • Prize $$$ to Entry Fee ratio
  • Event location
  • TOY Points
Any one or combination of any is a factor to many competitors. I have said it before and I will say it again. The organizer has the obligation to organize as he/she sees fit. "If you don't like the rules, don't play the game"

#36 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Regardless if this event becomes a TOY contest, Arlie is entitled to have it listed on the front page calendar. There are other non TOY events listed currently. Can someone with the proper permissions please add this event to the front page calendar.

#37 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostBenny Adauto, on 01 June 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

Regardless if this event becomes a TOY contest, Arlie is entitled to have it listed on the front page calendar. There are other non TOY events listed currently. Can someone with the proper permissions please add this event to the front page calendar.

Arlie, is a business member and I agree that he should have the event listed on the main page TOY or not. We listed stagecoach which wasn't TOY so why wouldn't we list this event?

I would however like to see you sign up for TOY to support the teams who participate as it does mean a lot to them. Don't let last years issue with the rewards taint a long standing CBBQA tradition in TOY.

Arlie, if you would like me to setup a wiki page for your event and list it on the main page let me know. I'm more the willing to help out any way I can regardless if the event becomes a TOY event or not.

#38 Dave Malone

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Abel - If you are willing and have the time please go ahead a create wiki page for The Great American BBQ Contest. There are currently five events on the calendar which aren't TOY so it's not a requirement to be listed. It would only benefit the teams. Thanks again for all your efforts this year. I know that you have also helped many people behind the scene's.

View PostAbel Tirre, on 01 June 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Arlie, is a business member and I agree that he should have the event listed on the main page TOY or not. We listed stagecoach which wasn't TOY so why wouldn't we list this event?

I would however like to see you sign up for TOY to support the teams who participate as it does mean a lot to them. Don't let last years issue with the rewards taint a long standing CBBQA tradition in TOY.

Arlie, if you would like me to setup a wiki page for your event and list it on the main page let me know. I'm more the willing to help out any way I can regardless if the event becomes a TOY event or not.

Edited by Dave Malone, 01 June 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#39 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostBenny Adauto, on 01 June 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

The calendar is just another wiki page like any other, any CBBQA member can post/add to.

#40 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Sorry Ben but the calendar states "CBBQA Approved Events". That tells me someone with authority to approve events needs to add it.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users