Wiki: 3rd Annual Wine Country Big Q BBQ Championship

88 replies to this topic

#21 Kimberly Moore

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Hi Judy when is the earliest we can arrive? We wanted to get up there on Thursday if possible if not I'll have to find a local RV Park to stay in overnight. Thank you :jump:

#22 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostTracy Allen, on 24 June 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Whoa! There are really nice HOT showers in the full locker rooms available to the teams. Last year many of us ladies used the shower in the morning. Does someone know if this has changed? Are they not available this year, or did you just not know you had the opportunity to freshen up in the morning last year Donna?
Do they also provide lufa sponges and assorted body washes?

#23 Jon Davis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Do we need a permit to vend?

#24 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Whoa! There are really nice HOT showers in the full locker rooms available to the teams. Last year many of us ladies used the shower in the morning. Does someone know if this has changed? Are they not available this year, or did you just not know you had the opportunity to freshen up in the morning last year Donna?

Really? Okay, it is all a blur now. I will ask Judy to confirm. Sorry about that.

#25 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Judy got back to me. There are hot showers at Wine Country. I can't believe I didn't remember that one. Sorry Steve.

#26 Judy Groverman Walker

What can I say I like it here

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

This is correct; we have very nice showers with HOT running water. Thanks for clearing that up Tracy.

Edited by Judy Groverman Walker, 25 June 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#27 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

The best time to arrive for Wine Country Big Q is after noon on Friday, July 12th.

View PostKimberly Moore, on 25 June 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

Hi Judy when is the earliest we can arrive? We wanted to get up there on Thursday if possible if not I'll have to find a local RV Park to stay in overnight. Thank you :jump:

Unfortunately, Thursday night is not an option on site. Please call our office at 707-523-3728 to further discuss.

#28 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostJon Davis, on 25 June 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Do we need a permit to vend?

The Sonoma County Health Department does not require a permit for single day festivals.

#29 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

The best time to arrive for Wine Country Big is after 12 noon on Friday July 12, 2013.

#30 Bryan Moiles

Hello

• 6 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Camping, anything Boston, Cigars, Wine, Vodka, Chillin with Family and Friends

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Can you share specifics relative to turn-in's for the ranchers reserve category? Will we need to work with a standard box, or can we use our own plate? If a box is required any restrictions on garnish? Any details are appreciated.

#31 K & K MacIntosh

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostBryan Moiles, on 04 July 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Can you share specifics relative to turn-in's for the ranchers reserve category? Will we need to work with a standard box, or can we use our own plate? If a box is required any restrictions on garnish? Any details are appreciated.
The RR turn-in is full KCBS rules in a standard box. Think brisket turn-in only with top sirloin, enough for 6 judges. There have been some mis-communications but all sauce, garnish, and KCBS rules apply.

Kelly

#32 K & K MacIntosh

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostK & K MacIntosh, on 04 July 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

The RR turn-in is full KCBS rules in a standard box. Think brisket turn-in only with top sirloin, enough for 6 judges. There have been some mis-communications but all sauce, garnish, and KCBS rules apply.

Kelly
I should have added, only the top sirloin and garnish is allowed. i.e. no crab on top of the meat or mashed potatoes, etc...

#33 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostK & K MacIntosh, on 04 July 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I should have added, only the top sirloin and garnish is allowed. i.e. no crab on top of the meat or mashed potatoes, etc...
There goes my cheese steak sliders idea.

#34 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Attention Teams competing at the Wine Country Big Q this weekend. I will be running a test on a new fundraising idea on Brisket Only at this event. If you would like to participate please go to the members only section and click on the "Possible Fundraising Idea" tab. Read it then post your team name, I will collect your $10 donation at the cooks meeting Friday night and send a check to Butch Monday Morning with the proceeds.

#35 Jon Davis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Ok same question asked about RR, but now specific to Mystery Meat

#36 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

I table captained last year and recall the Mary and Alan Odor won the mystery meat category. We were lucky enough to taste their entry. Back then, it was an open, anything goes category. Plate as you wish. But the fear of God should be put in you b/c we have a ton of ringers at this contest...not the least of which is Mary Odor, Dads Doing what they love, Harry and Texas Wasabi team. Ouch!

#37 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Woodhouse will kill us too.....

#38 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

The Mystery Meat is an OPEN Category ... we still have some space available .. please provide 6 portions. You can garnish however you wish and your turn in container can be no larger than 18"x18"x18". Please mark your turn in container and remember to pick up after the competition. Take some artistic liberties with this one!

#39 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostDonna Fong, on 09 July 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

I table captained last year and recall the Mary and Alan Odor won the mystery meat category. We were lucky enough to taste their entry. Back then, it was an open, anything goes category. Plate as you wish. But the fear of God should be put in you b/c we have a ton of ringers at this contest...not the least of which is Mary Odor, Dads Doing what they love, Harry and Texas Wasabi team. Ouch!

IIRC, Mary and Alan won the leg of lamb category with a perfect 180 (I remember because I came in second with just one 8 from the sixth judge)! I believe Smoke Slayers won the mystery meat (pork belly).

#40 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Johnny & Chad are the fattie masters. Draw the shades, lock the door and walk away.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users