Wiki: Backyard on the Lake 2013

84 replies to this topic

#81 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Any results from this event?

#82 Donna Fong

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

I heard from someone that Jess Trujillo from Pig Pimpin won. Congrats Jess! I also heard that Jason Eads came in second....I think.

#83 Jason Eads

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Music, Fishing

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

It was a pretty small field with only two teams doing all four categories. Jess was the big winner with firsts in brisket and ribs, the only two categories he participated in. Pretty spectacular. Uncle Buck's took first in pork, with a very unique flavor profile I was lucky enough to taste. Watch out for these guys. It was their first event, they have lots of raw talent, and a very nice custom smoker that they made themselves. Some really nice guys I did not meet until the morning took first in chicken. I apologize for not remembering their names, but I was really tired by the time I met them. We took second in everything but ribs where we got a third.

The Barts' were wonderful hosts, donating gift baskets for the winners of the various categories, and just generally being very laid back and cool.

The open judging was great. We did a fair amount of experimenting with new techniques and "different" cuts of meat such as baby backs and drumsticks. It was great to receive honest and to the point criticism. We took lots of notes that we took to heart and will be acting upon. As an occasional team that only does a few contests a year, we always try to make the time to squeeze in an open judging event at least once a year. The input has proven to be extremely valuable to us. Honestly, this was the best open judging experience we have ever had. We asked for brutal honesty and they delivered in a constructive, respectful manner.

Thanks to the Barts, the judges, and the other competitors for making this a very special event. May apologies for not remembering the name of the chicken winners. Hopefully someone else will post their team name.

#84 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Smokin' Fools took 1st in Chicken, my son-in-laws team. I can't tell you how excited he and Buck were and I think the hook has been set real deep. They are looking for a WSM, so if anyone has one in N.Cal let me know.

#85 Jess Trujillo

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thanks Donna and Jason. My son and I definitely had a great time. Congrats to all the teams that attended. I would personally like to thank Deny and Dave for hosting this event again and for providing the gift basket awards. Ben, thanks for keeping us on track. Last, thanks to the judges for there honest, constructive opinions and taking the time to explain how they scored our turn ins. This information is valuable. We'll see you at SOTM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users