Buying meat from Restaurant Depot??

4 replies to this topic

#1 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Anyone have feedback on buying meats from Restaurant Depot? Seems like they are a KCBS partner and since I can purchase from them already I was thinking about picking up some ribs and pork shoulders for a friends BBQ i'm cooking at.

#2 David Tendick

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:F1 & ALMS Racing, BBQ/Cooking, Teaching & Coaching, Action Pistol Shooting & CQB Shooting, CBJ

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi Abel, They have a very good meat selection, I have been using them for comp meats and for catering. Their selection is very good and their prices are lower that the meat distributors.

#3 Jerry Aguilar

Secretary

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

I was just at the Fountain Valley RD yesterday.
If you are looking for spare ribs, they usually have 2 styles. One is the "light" which are less than 4.8lbs each rack and come in 3 packs, the others are "medium" and are 4.8lbs and above and come in 2 packs. They usually carry the "Prairie Fresh" brand which I think are the best.
Of course, buy the mediums as the lights are too thin. If you don't see them out of the cases and tagged, ask for them and they should be able to find you a case and open/tag for you.
I've always found a good amount of pork butts opened and tagged, they carry both Bone In and Boneless. If there aren't any to choose from, they can open cases and tag individually for you.
They hate people going willy nilly opening cases, it's best to ask.

#4 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

The brands they carry are the same as most other places that sell meat and the brands they have in stock at any one time varies. round up the meat dept. manager and find out their delivery schedule so you can make plans to be there early and pick out what you want. If you tell him you are a comp. bbq pitmaster he usually is really helpful. I know that my local RD meat dept. manager is really good to work with. I use the pork and brisket all the time. I like Curly's ribs so I don't have any experience with RD for ribs. Some guys use their St. Louis ribs and don't have any problems.

#5 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the tips i'll probably head over to the Fountain Valley location and see if I can get some info from the Manager so I can pick out the ones I like when I ready to buy in a couple of weeks.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users