Backyard Competition in Corona, CA

SoCal Meat Up! Backyard

7 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Black

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

All right So Cal peeps! We have teamed up with another group to put on the next SoCal Meat UP! Backyard event on June 15/16.

We worked with the other group - who has put on their own event for 8 years now! - and have come up with some additions of our own to make this a unique and fantastic backyard event. The purpose of the backyard event is to get new people into competition BBQ without all the typical cost and / or hesitation of competing with guys that tow around $30,000 rigs. Of course we know that you can still beat these guys with a WSM and 20lbs of of Kingsford Blue - right? Just ask Harry Soo!

Some of the unique things about this backyarder -

1. Live open judging - the teams turn in their boxes out of sight from the judges but get to listen in as the judges score the meat. You won't know the actual scores but there is no substitution for these comments - they are invaluable - particularly if you are planning on getting into competitive BBQ.

2. Entry fee - it is a little higher than we like to see - BUT - it includes all the meat you need to cook for the competition.

3. KCBS "approved" - there will be two of my favorite reps - K & K McIntosh running the scoring / assisting with the judging. This event will be run like a normal KCBS sanctioned competition.

4. Mentoring - we have a large group of seasoned "pros" available to mentor you through the entire process - prep, cooking, turn ins ect. It can't get any easier! All you have to do is learn, cook, and have fun!

More questions? Here's a link to the site. Please feel free to ask me or Jim (point of contact) anything!

http://www.socalmeat...om/index-1.html

#2 Jerry Aguilar

Secretary

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Has the site changed to Corona?

#3 Aaron Black

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Sorry - it is actually in the city limits of Riverside. I had to drive through Corona to get there. By bad!

#4 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostAaron Black, on 02 May 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

All right So Cal peeps! We have teamed up with another group to put on the next SoCal Meat UP! Backyard event on June 15/16.

We worked with the other group - who has put on their own event for 8 years now! - and have come up with some additions of our own to make this a unique and fantastic backyard event. The purpose of the backyard event is to get new people into competition BBQ without all the typical cost and / or hesitation of competing with guys that tow around $30,000 rigs. Of course we know that you can still beat these guys with a WSM and 20lbs of of Kingsford Blue - right? Just ask Harry Soo!

Some of the unique things about this backyarder -

1. Live open judging - the teams turn in their boxes out of sight from the judges but get to listen in as the judges score the meat. You won't know the actual scores but there is no substitution for these comments - they are invaluable - particularly if you are planning on getting into competitive BBQ.

2. Entry fee - it is a little higher than we like to see - BUT - it includes all the meat you need to cook for the competition.

3. KCBS "approved" - there will be two of my favorite reps - K & K McIntosh running the scoring / assisting with the judging. This event will be run like a normal KCBS sanctioned competition.

4. Mentoring - we have a large group of seasoned "pros" available to mentor you through the entire process - prep, cooking, turn ins ect. It can't get any easier! All you have to do is learn, cook, and have fun!

More questions? Here's a link to the site. Please feel free to ask me or Jim (point of contact) anything!

http://www.socalmeat...om/index-1.html

What day do you need judges for Fri? or Saturday? If Saturday, count me in.. Henry

#5 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,131 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Outstanding

#6 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Sounds like another great event that includes the support of KCBS. I'm surprised not more teams are interested in cooking. I mean KCBS support certified judges with live feedback? If your not in the top 10 more times then not it's a good way to figure out why...

#7 Dennis Ross

• 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hello, All, I'm the new guy here I think what you are doing is Awesome and I would like to get involved sooner rather than Later. I think this is Awesome and i hope to Join your BBQ Network

#8 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,131 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

jump in

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users