Where to buy meat in the Bay Area?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Brezil

• 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hello Everyone,

i live in San Jose and am looking for a good place to buy meat from this time in particular brisket.

Thanks.

#2 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

SaveMart carries full packer briskets. Just speak with the butcher and ask him to bring out a few for you to check out.

Restaurant Depot carries brisket as well.

Many Vietnamese markets carry brisket as it is a common added meat in pho.

#3 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

I buy mine in Santa Rosa at Cash and Carry. It is a restaurant supply market. If they have them in San Jose, it is worth a look. The meat cooler is a walk in, very big. I usually have 3-4 cases of full packers to choose from.

Mark

#4 Jim Brezil

• 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Ok those are great sugestions I will check them out. Do you do most of your meat shopping at these stores or do you have other stores you prefer for say chicken and pork?

#5 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Get to know your local grocery store butcher, he can get you most anything you need. Not as hard as you may think.

#6 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostDarry Smith, on 28 April 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

Get to know your local grocery store butcher, he can get you most anything you need. Not as hard as you may think.
This is always the best advice - plus take your butcher samples of your cooking, there's no better way to get him on your side. But, you need to select your store and butcher carefully. He needs to be there when you're shopping so full time, low turnover, high-end stores are best. Safeway/Lucky have high turnover and they only have a real butcher during limited hours of the week. Credits for most all of that go to Brent.

#7 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Real "butchers" are very hard to find these days. Most places that sell meat have it arrive in cyrovac. Sometimes the best you can hope for is a place where they let you pick through what they have on hand so you can select the best of what is available.

Full packer briskets are hard to find. I have found them at small meat market/grocery stores, Walmart and Smart & Final. The small meat market let me choose the best of what they had, but it was hit or miss as far as what was on hand and some stuff was really old. Walmart sometimes has them, but not all the time. Smart & Final can be ok. I picked up a couple nice choice briskies today for practice, but they were a bit small. Restaurant Depot will always have some on hand, but you need a CBBQA or KCBS membership to get in (or a business license).

#8 Jason Clark

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

In SJ go to Cash and Carry on San Carlos. They carry choice and Angus. No biz license needed but they do close early. If you're feeling like spending a little more on something fancy go to Lunardi's on Meridian. They butcher their own meat from full sides and the counter guys are great to talk with.

#9 Jim Brezil

• 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Thank you everyone this has been verry helpful

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users