#1 Steve Wilson

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

As this sport continues to evolve, the quality of the officiating needs to keep pace. I have been a college and high school sports official for 15 years and I have never had a no show at a event. On a recent post and others through out the past year, I have seen the expectation of 100% CBJ's, but have noted that there are no shows. In some instances, the Reps are able to find people to help out or they are able to combine tables.

Either way this is not how the competition should be officiated. As a competition team I can tell you we put many hours into planning and preparing for our competitions before we even arrive at the event, not to mention the costs incurred to compete. Both are substantial. Most of us take it very serious and strive to succeed.

It is very important to have properly trained officials doing any competitive activity. Could you imagine going to see your son or daughters high school game and they ask a regular Joe from the stands to officiate. What a mess, they may have an understanding of the game but there is no way they are qualified to officiate to the standards set by the governing body of that competition.

Where I officiate we have policies and procedures we must follow to insure there is never a no show. We would call the assignor if we were unable to attend so a replacement can be assigned, and if we did not show, we would have our remaining scedules pulled and if it ever happened again, you are done officiating.

Now I'm not saying go to this extreme, but there should be consequences for not doing the job.

My wife & I have taken the CBJ class and will be judging our first contest at Stagecoach. We are rookies but are very excited to join your ranks. As a closing note from a team- we love to read the comment cards from the judges. Most are very helpful steering us towards better BBQ, however a few are way off base. My two favorite are: 1) Too much ginger in your rub. (we make our own rub, no ginger in it) & 2) Clean your smoker, it taste's like fish. (There has never been a fish in my smoker.) Suggestion: stick to what you know, not what you think you know.

Thanks- Keep up the great job!!

Steve

#2 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

No shows are not the norm, probably only one or two at each of the events I have been to in the last 5 years. I agree, CBJ's should have the sense to contact the promoter and advise them of their change in plans.

#3 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostBill Bain, on 16 April 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

No shows are not the norm, probably only one or two at each of the events I have been to in the last 5 years. I agree, CBJ's should have the sense to contact the promoter and advise them of their change in plans.

I am not sure how helpful your comments are about consequences for judges that take their own time and pay their own way to make the BBQ contests possible. Judges try to be helpful in their comment cards, if they are wrong in their evaluation it is only because they are trying to help you.

#4 harry stewart

2010 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Co-owner operator of Great American Barbecue Alameda, Ca. Member since 2007 having competed, educated and provided charity support for the CBBQA membership and its selcected charities.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

My first experience in BBQ was when a now show occured and I was able to judge, I was not a CBJ. This led me to competing and becoming active in the CBBQA, becoming a CBJ , Memphis BBQ network certified and have judges IBCA events. In addition having judged various backyard,open events and gatherings as well as contests throughout Northern California
I solo cooked for not 1 but 2 KCBS judging classses on the same day in Fairfield. A no show judge made this progression possible for me.
CBJ's are not paid as with sports officials in most sports, and they pay own travel expenses. Even kids doing sidlines of soccer matches earn $60.00 bucks a pop.
Any propose sanctions on no show judges would be biting the hand that scores you. Teams and promoters clammor for 100% CBJ judges and many times that occurs.
The judging pool has exploded in the last few years in CA, as with any new population it takes time and experience as cooking does.
Judges I know are a a passionate and loyal to what they do.
At most contests in CA the judges slots fill well in advance of the teams signing up, and several contests recently they have even cut off judges signing up at all after a certain point
K and K Macintosh are the cream of the crop as far as Reps go and they do a fantastic job of running the judges tent KCBS and ICBA.
Any time I see them in the tent I know its a well balanced and fair panel of judges.
Kelley was the table captain at my first judging event at Shake Rattle and Smoke in 2007, being nervous and wanting to score it right, Kelley kept reassuring me that I had it right, and at the same table he counseled a CBJ about too high a scoring on a few items. I was seated next to an experienced judge to whom I explained my newness and was offered a few judging tips and kept me straight.
Diligence and dedication are their hallmark.
Being a sports fan on many levels we all know that even the best officiating crews can get it wrong on occasion and do. It comes with the territory
As for comment cards, we all know they are worth less than the paper they are written on. Believe me I have had some humdingers.

Edited by harry stewart, 16 April 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#5 Steve Wilson

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Well put Harry. I also had a great experience of being asked to Judge before I became a CBJ. This was before I had ever cooked also. I question if it was fair to the teams that participated. If I were scoring with the averages there would be little effect on the competition. However, if I were high or low, it would definately effect the scoring at my specific table table, thusly, being an advantage to some or a detriment to others based on my scores. Granted there are seemingly a lot of variances in scoring as it now stands. A higher score as compared to the averages at my table by a stand in judge, will be accepted and has a strong chance to alter the results. A lower score could have less impact as the lowest is not calculated. It is a fine line, and with so many CBJ's I think it would be beneficial to have a waiting list that the promoters would call as a CBJ became unavailable. Just food for thought.

I also understand the no pay for our judges. My officiating income basically pays my expenses. I do it for the love of the game. I assume most CBJ's also do it for the love of great BBQ. Plus they can take some home as well. Granted it's not a check.

Steve

Steve

#6 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

I know it's a concearn when you don't see 100% CBJ's, but in my experience and at the last several comps I judged they usually have more than enough judges at comps so if a couple don't show it's still 100% CBJ's & I can't recall the last comp that didn't have more than enough CBJ's trying to judge or wanting to judge

#7 K & K MacIntosh

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostAbel Tirre, on 17 April 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I know it's a concearn when you don't see 100% CBJ's, but in my experience and at the last several comps I judged they usually have more than enough judges at comps so if a couple don't show it's still 100% CBJ's & I can't recall the last comp that didn't have more than enough CBJ's trying to judge or wanting to judge
In California we typically have plenty of CBJs with a waiting list at most contests. When someone pulls a no call/no show they are keeping someone else from judging. Organizers are typically responsible for procuring the judges and they take notice of the no shows. Organizers are reluctant to invite back a judge that doesn't show. We all know things come up but the judge that can't make it needs to call someone (preferably the Rep) even if it is 10 minutes before the judge's meeting starts.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users