Digital Thermometers

11 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer Coleman

Hello

• 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Ok I am getting more serious with my cooking and want to observe my temps easier and more accurately. Looking for a 2 probe digital thermometer that will hold up to a lot of use. Any suggestions or comments? Looking at the IGRILL or the Maverick ET-732 but still looking around.

#2 Steve Wilson

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

Therma pen. Accurate and fast. But expensive.

#3 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Interests:BBQ
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostSpencer Coleman, on 10 April 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

Ok I am getting more serious with my cooking and want to observe my temps easier and more accurately. Looking for a 2 probe digital thermometer that will hold up to a lot of use. Any suggestions or comments? Looking at the IGRILL or the Maverick ET-732 but still looking around.

I'd go with a Stoker unit and a Thermopen. The stoker will let you monitor your pit and all your meats at one time and the Thermopen will let you check individual meat temps instantly.

#4 Bill Keyes

CBBQA Hall of Fame, Inducted 2013, Pres. Award 2012

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Depends how much you want to spend. Are you looking for something with a remote unit?
For a remote unit, the Maverick ET-73/732's are nice for the price. The new model (732) Has a much better range then the original. Though my recent one, the meat temp is off quite a bit. But I check that with a Thermoworks unit anyways.
I think NuTemp makes one as well, have not tried it yet.
I wish Thermoworks would make a nice unit with a remote like the Maverick unit. I would be willing to pay one to two hundred bucks for a better quiality one. The only other one that measures pit temp that has a remote that I know of is one that Guru makes, but If I remember it is around 600 bucks, which is out of my price range.
Good luck,
Bill

#5 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:MCBJ, Certified TC and part time tuna slayer.. Good food, good drinks, and good friends

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostAndrew Soto, on 11 April 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

I'd go with a Stoker unit and a Thermopen. The stoker will let you monitor your pit and all your meats at one time and the Thermopen will let you check individual meat temps instantly.

I got this exact setup and love it. The stoker probes work, but I really like the pen and rely on that more.

#6 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostAbel Tirre, on 02 May 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

I got this exact setup and love it. The stoker probes work, but I really like the pen and rely on that more.
Yup, that is the way to go.

#7 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

About a year ago I bought a Maverick 732. You can be indoors watching the game and know the temp of your food and cooker. You can set the alarm for cooker high/low temps as well as when the food is up to temp. That's right, the unit has an alarm.

Just received another Maverick as a present, turned it on, and tested it to see if the signal would interfere with my original 732. No problems. The sets run independent of each other.

Having two Mavericks will get me by for now. Some day - a Stoker.

PS - The Thermapen, although expensive, is excellent.

JK

#8 Shayne Pharis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:cooking, guitar, camping and most important family

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I am also looking at getting a good quality thermometer, I know Thermapen is where it's at but I really don't want to spend $96 on one... if at all possible.. is there anything compareable in the $50-60 range?

#9 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostShayne Pharis, on 09 May 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

.. is there anything compareable in the $50-60 range?
No, but if you register at the site they will inform you when they have sales on reconditioned ones. I think they also offer a discount for group buys.

#10 Shayne Pharis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

I bit the bullet and bought a thermapen, i should have bought one last year during christmas when they had them on sale for $75

Oh well...

#11 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostShayne Pharis, on 09 May 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

I bit the bullet and bought a thermapen, i should have bought one last year during christmas when they had them on sale for $75

Oh well...

Hindsight is always 20/20. But, for a moment, think about all the times you've spent $20 on something that didn't satisfy. The Thermapen will satisfy, and it's a bargain at $100 so you still got a deal anyway. How much do you spend one brisket?

#12 Shayne Pharis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yea that's true, i've had countless $20 specials that ended up breaking or not working so it's an investment.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users