Buying Brisket

13 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Drabkin

Hello

• 6 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, other food, baseball, some scifi

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

HI there,

Not being a cook (yet) I don't know if anything but whole brisket is admitted to competitions, but for home use.....has anyone figured out where one can get the point cut only (at a "point cut" price)?

Shopping in conventional markets, all that seems to be available is the flat cut or the whole thing. I think the main reason for this is that we're in California, where a much higher percentage of the public is more health concious.

Except, around St. Patrick's Day, where they sell the point cuts. They're real cheap at that time, so I imagine that over all, if it were available, point cut should be cheaper than flat cut (and we all know it tastes better because of the fat).

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you all know, when I talk about St. Patrick's Day point cut, I'm talking CORNED BEEF brisket, and NOT regular brisket.

I did ask the butcher at my local Sprouts market, and he said he'd be glad to sell me just a point cut (of regular brisket)....but at full "whole brisket price".....$7 - $8 a pound.

Any of you experienced cooks have any insight on this that I don't?

Thanks.

#2 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,144 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Mark find a Sams Club moderate price Choice Quality on full packers

#3 Jerry Aguilar

Secretary

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Thom, you've found full packers at Sam's? I only see half cut flats at the ones I've been to.

#4 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,144 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

If you ask they will get you a case of Choice Angus Packers at Sams
Restaurant Depo also a great source for packers
T and H in San Marcos
What is the meat markets name in the OC?

#5 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostMark Drabkin, on 22 March 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

HI there,

Not being a cook (yet) I don't know if anything but whole brisket is admitted to competitions, but for home use.....has anyone figured out where one can get the point cut only (at a "point cut" price)?

Shopping in conventional markets, all that seems to be available is the flat cut or the whole thing. I think the main reason for this is that we're in California, where a much higher percentage of the public is more health concious.

Except, around St. Patrick's Day, where they sell the point cuts. They're real cheap at that time, so I imagine that over all, if it were available, point cut should be cheaper than flat cut (and we all know it tastes better because of the fat).

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you all know, when I talk about St. Patrick's Day point cut, I'm talking CORNED BEEF brisket, and NOT regular brisket.

I did ask the butcher at my local Sprouts market, and he said he'd be glad to sell me just a point cut (of regular brisket)....but at full "whole brisket price".....$7 - $8 a pound.

Any of you experienced cooks have any insight on this that I don't?

Thanks.

You should be able to go to any Vietnamese market and have the butcher sell you a point. Vietnamese frequently use cooked, sliced flats and points in pho, so their groceries usually carry full packer cuts and will break them down as needed.

Curious why you wouldn't want to cook a full packer cut brisket?

Matt

#6 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

Any Vietnamese market? You must live in San Jose!

#7 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Don't recall where I read it but remember hearing that Sam's stores recieve whole briskets then separate the points/flats. They package the flats for sale and use the points to make ground beef. You may be able to find a Sam's that will sell you the point prior to them making hamburger.

#8 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Up here I get my brisky at Cash and Carry. Restaurant supply store. Full choice packers less that $3/lb. From what I have read also most points are ground. I have done it and it makes great burgers!!!!

Mark

#9 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Point is a good component for burgers, but you really are well served by mixing things up a bit. I've made single barrel burgers before and using just one muscle tends to be less delicious than the results you can achieve with a blend.

My last experiment was super good and the ratio I used was 1 part sirloin, to 1 part point to 2 parts boneless short rib.

Another successful blend ratio is 2 parts sirloin, to 1 part point to 1 part chuck.

Generally if you got the grocery store during the day you can find a butcher who will be happy to grind this stuff up for you. They tend to be pretty excited when people care about meat and have some knowledge too.

Matt

#10 Sylvie Curry

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Sam's Club in L.A. (near Redondo Beach = Artesia Blvd near the 110fwy) area have the whole packers. Most often they are under 14lbs but sometimes I see they have some larger. Last week they had CABs but I don't remember the exact price, something like $2.89/lb.

There are a couple of Asian markets in L.A. which have butcher departments. 99 Ranch on Artesia Blvd and Dat Moi on Crenshaw in Gardena. Possibly they can cut what you want.

#11 Robert Bass

Treasurer

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Low & Slow BBQ, Low & Fast Air Racing, Family, Camping, Amateur Radio

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Old Thread, but interesting !

View PostJerry Aguilar, on 22 March 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Thom, you've found full packers at Sam's? I only see half cut flats at the ones I've been to.

Jerry, know what you mean. I asked the butcher at the one on Ontario. He 'indicated' they do not and will not carry full packers.

But... Hottinger Family Meats on Chino Ave in Chino does, including occasional prime packers! Good people too.

Bob

#12 Jerry Aguilar

Secretary

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

The Stater Bros on Hidden Valley and the 15 usually carries Brandt Prime briskets at a good price.

#13 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,144 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

SAMs I have to buy the whole case to get them

#14 Robert Bass

Treasurer

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Low & Slow BBQ, Low & Fast Air Racing, Family, Camping, Amateur Radio

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Jerry and Thom,

Many Thanks.

Suprisingly, we normally use that Stater Bros. I did try a packer from them earlier this year. Looks like it's time for a re-viisit.
They --used-- to have excellent Spencers, years ago. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, we do just a few every so often, but great idea. Thanks.

Bob

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users