Ribs Pigs & Watermelons BBQ Comp in Westminster, CA - Aug 18th

82 replies to this topic

#1 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

We just updated an events page with the details to our First Annual Ribs, Pigs & Watermelons Summer Festival & Pro BBQ Competition. It is a sanctions KCBS event and will also be a sanctioned TOY event. Space is limited to please be sure to register ASAP.

http://www.cbbqa.org...and_Watermelons

#2 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

We are excited to annonce that the CBBQA Board has approved our application and this competition will be ToY Event. We hope to see everyone there.

#3 Jerry Aguilar

Secretary

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

That's good news, I'm looking forward to this one!

#4 Jeff Johnson

• 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

As this event will be judging # 29 i am needing to cook with a team in Westminster

#5 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

You're planning to judge and want to cook with a team at the same contest? Check with the Reps before making plans for that.

#6 Robert Hall

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:NB Bandera Lover

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Yep, you can judge or cook, but not both at the same event.

#7 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Just got an entry form from Knock UR Sock off! Thank you for joining our event!

#8 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

We had another team join today. Welcome Hog Wild BBQ!

#9 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Please note we have changed our Awards Ceremony from 7:00p.m. to 5:30p.m. on Saturday, August 18th. To accommodate our BBQ teams better.

#10 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

We have a block of hotel rooms saved until July 22nd at the Hotel Huntington Beach for $89 a night plus tax for the nights of the 17th & 18th under Ribs, Pigs & Watermelons.

Hotel Huntington Beach
7667 Center Ave.
Huntington Beach, CA
(714) 891-0123 Fax: (714) 895-4591

#11 Chris Wasinger

• 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

I live in the area, and looking for a team that maybe looking for free help. If you need a hand please email me c.wasinger@yahoo.com

#12 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:BBQ
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostChris Wasinger, on 25 June 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

I live in the area, and looking for a team that maybe looking for free help. If you need a hand please email me c.wasinger@yahoo.com

Chris, If I cook this one, you're welcome to come and hand out with my team, Master of Disaster.

Andy

Edited by Andrew Soto, 25 June 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#13 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Welcome, Rooftop Barbeque to Ribs, Pigs & Watermelons!

#14 Josh Baker

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hey guys (and gals),

My name is Josh Baker and I am on El Fuego Fiasco. About 8 months ago a close friend of mine asked me if I had any out of the box fundraiser ideas. They were tired of golf tournaments and gala dinners. I suggested they put a BBQ Comp. Together. As many of you know we have been competing in a handful of contests for the past 3 years. I have been working closely with American Family Housing in organizing this event. I think it is important to point out that there is NO FOR PROFFIT promotion going on with this event. (Not that there is anything wrong with that) 100% of proceeds are going to help shelter the homeless; I think it is important to point this out. As a first year event we realize there will be some speed bumps but we are in it for the long haul and we are trying to do everything we can to make sure this even continues on an annual basis.

Originally we set out to do a standard one day BBQ Competition event. When we were able to secure the Westminster Mall location we felt it necessary to make it a weekend long event. As a competitor I am not a fan of back to back comps, I know how much work they are. This is why we opted for a single comp but multiple days of vending. We know vending is not for everyone but I know a number of teams like us use vending to fund their BBQ habit. For my team we are really hoping for this event to be a success as we are trying to raise funds for our trip to the Royal. Based on the community feedback and the Freeway visible location we are expecting a good turnout.

This is going to be a great event. We are shooting for 42 teams get your application in before it is sold out.

We have received a few questions and most recently an email with a number of questions. Here are some recent questions we have received:

Q. How much does it cost for the public.
A. We are charging a $5.00 fee simply to keep out the riff-raff. Kids are $2.50 and Children are Free. We are also doing some Groupon style specials to drive traffic.

Q. If we have an RV and Multiple Ez-Ups 20x20 is too small.
A. We will have a number of 20X40 spaces available.

Q. Your entry free is $285 early-bird but the payout is only $6,200. Why?
A. As a first year event we have no idea the number of competitors we will get. We based our payout on a number of other local events including Vista. Often events with larger prize pools will have money put up by the venue or sponsors. (Did I mention this was for charity?)

Q. “Will there be trophies? Good ones? Most teams like big trophies, not certificates or medals.”
A. Yes we plan on having trophies. “Good Ones” is a matter of taste; personally I think the huge bowling style trophies are obnoxious. We do plan on having trophies for 1st -10th. Although if the event only has 18 teams like the Anaheim event I would expect to cut the trophies to 5 places. No reason for a trophy going to a team that scored in the bottom 50%

Q. How does the vending money get split?
A. Teams will keep 1/3 of vending proceeds. We are finalizing ticket cost but the payout will be at least $0.66 per taste. Personally I prefer events that supply the meat. If I don’t have to supply my own meat that means less money out of pocket I have to lay out prior to the event, less weight to transport to the event, less chance of loss if we don’t sell out. Unfortunately this is what happened to us at Stagecoach. We were unable to sell out and loss money.

Q. When will I be paid?
A. Teams will be paid PRIOR to leaving the event!

Post any other questions you have and I am happy to respond.

#15 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hey Josh-

Thanks for the info. I talked with Courtney this morning about the quality of the meats. As a caterer and a competitive bbq team, we are concerned with the quality more than the quantity of food being put out to the public. At Kristies, the meat was a lesser quality (from Mexico, brisket was trimmed wierd) and the q was not to the quality standards we set for ourselves. We would like to participate in this worthy event but would like to strive to produce really good q, worthy of competition standards and quality catered BBQ.

We can put out a bunch of quantity, but need to have a legitamate canvas to start with.

Thanks,

Steve
The Pit Crew BBQ

#16 Josh Baker

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Steve,

Our pork supplier is Smithfield farms, they supply pork to Costco. The pork will be of comp quality. We are still working on our beef supplier for brisket and tri-tip but we can assure you the beef quality will be good quality as well. We encourage teams to cook some of the fun out of the box items as well. Teams interested in cooking things such as moink balls & buffalo turds should let us know and we will try to accommodate. But please don't shy away from the event due to fear of quality.

View PostSteve Wilson, on 02 July 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Hey Josh-

Thanks for the info. I talked with Courtney this morning about the quality of the meats. As a caterer and a competitive bbq team, we are concerned with the quality more than the quantity of food being put out to the public. At Kristies, the meat was a lesser quality (from Mexico, brisket was trimmed wierd) and the q was not to the quality standards we set for ourselves. We would like to participate in this worthy event but would like to strive to produce really good q, worthy of competition standards and quality catered BBQ.

We can put out a bunch of quantity, but need to have a legitamate canvas to start with.

Thanks,

Steve
The Pit Crew BBQ

#17 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hi everyone, I hope you had a great 4th. We have another team that joined the event. Welcome The Pit Crew BBQ!

#18 Courtney Lutkus

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

The teams are coming in....Pig Pushers BBQ and Catering has joined the fun!

#19 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Ours will be sent very soon.

#20 andy allen

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

how much meat is everyone expecting to PC. First year event its going to be hard to put a number one it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users