2nd Annual Wine Country Big Q

28 replies to this topic

#1 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: 2nd Annual Wine Country Big Q

#2 Anna Stockel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:"Do it all"

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Am I correct in thinking the judge's applications aren't yet available?

#3 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Check it out... it's happening... http://winecountrybigq.com/

Check out the new "Winery Big Beef" challenge. Hopefully many wineries will come out to play!

Edited by Tracy Allen, 14 May 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#4 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

TEAM APPLICATION - http://winecountrybi...egistration.pdf
JUDGES APPLICATION - http://winecountrybi...Application.pdf

#5 Tom Glenn

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

We'll be attending this event. Application was sent in yesterday.

#6 Tom Moore

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

View PostTom Glenn, on 15 May 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

We'll be attending this event. Application was sent in yesterday.
Is your passport updated? I have friends at the border.

#7 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:MCBJ, Certified TC and part time tuna slayer.. Good food, good drinks, and good friends

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Did they have this comp last year?

#8 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostAbel Tirre, on 15 May 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Did they have this comp last year?
YES... and Judy has a new foundation working with her and a great website going and getting lots of good local participation with the addition of two local "throwdown" types of competitions. Shaping up to be a really nice event.

#9 Judy Groverman Walker

What can I say I like it here

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

We are very excited about this year's Wine Country Big Q and will be building upon last year's event ... making some positive changes. We are at the same venue, the beautiful Sonoma Academy in Santa Rosa. We have moved our dates to July 13 and 14 which should make move in easier as school will not be in session. I have applied to be a TOY event and am just waiting for approval.

We will again have a public tasting and encourage everyone to participate - this year we have joined up with the Children's Museum of Sonoma County with a much broader reach and we have been working our public relations angles to increase our consumer attendance. We will be adding some kids activities and a kids price ticket.

We have some great sponsors again this year and I hope to announce a couple of specialty categories/competitions in the next week or so. And, remember we are in the heart of wine country so we will have lots of great wine and beer during the weekend. I am happy to set up some wine tastings/excursions before or after the competition. Feel free to contact me, 707-523-3728 if you have any questions, at all, or need more information. I am working hard to organize a successful, competitive, fun competition that showcases great barbecue. I hope you will join us at the Big Q!

#10 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Just Added .... American Lamb Board and Niman Ranch have teamed up to offer a special open category competition - Leg of Lamb, bone-in. The lamb will be provided by Niman Ranch and there is no additional cost of entry for registered teams. The cash prizes are $250 for first, $150 for second and $100 for third place. Please let me know if you would like to enter this special competition, I will need to order the lamb in advance. And, we would love for you to submit a recipe with your dish - the American Lamb Board may feature your recipe as part of their barbecue promotion.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions about this special category or the BIg Q - we hope that you will join us this year - July 13 and 14 at Wine Country Big Q in Santa Rosa!

#11 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Please include Smokey Luv BBQ in the lamb category!

#12 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Have you confirmed Kevin!

Thanks!
Judy
707-523-3728

#13 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hey Guys,
We need more teams, what are you waiting for? We have over $8,000 in cash and prizes .... and we are a ToY Event.

l realize there are a number of competitions in a row, but please join us at Wine Country Big Q.

Please give me a call and let me know what it takes to get you signed up, 707-523-3728.

We have not shortage of CBJ judges!

#14 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Happy to report that we are at 27 teams and the number is still growing! Thanks everyone for signing up and joining us...we are happy to be a qualifier for the Royal! We still have room for a few more...come join us!

#15 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

congratulations Judy! Nice job. I know you were working very hard to get the team count above 25 for many weeks now. Looking forward to being in the judges tent for a change. See you in a few days.

#16 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

YIPEE! 27 TEAMS! Great Job Judy!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this weekend!

#17 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

On the Wine Country Big Q website, it says general admission ticket price is $45. There is no further information. Does the $45 merely get you through the entry gate or are taste tickets included?

#18 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostJohn Kelly, on 12 July 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

On the Wine Country Big Q website, it says general admission ticket price is $45. There is no further information. Does the $45 merely get you through the entry gate or are taste tickets included?

good question. Seems kinda steep tho, wonder if all the PC meat will sell, ie will there be enough folks willing to shed $49 to get in?

#19 Judy Groverman Walker

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for asking, The ticket in the door includes 8 barbecue samples, wine and beer, live entertainment and more. We have a couple of different things going on at the event - Big Beef Challenge with the wineries and the Bold Bean Challenge. And, this is a benefit for the Children's Museum of Sonoma County. We don't anticipate thousands like other competitions because of our location. That is why we have asked the teams to sample out their extras plus a little more.

#20 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Results

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?id=3555

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users