Table Captain Class

13 replies to this topic

#1 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Table Captains are in demand yet it seems that there are rarely, if any, classes in Northern California. Does anyone know if any NorCal classes are or will be scheduled this year?

Table Captains - without a class, what are your suggestions on how best to learn the Table Captain's duties?

JK

#2 K & K MacIntosh

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

As they say in the Nike ads, "Just Do It".

Because of the lack of TC classes in California the majority of TC's you see at contests are not certified TC's. If you volunteer to be a TC at one of my contests I will play the Table Captain CD and I hold a TC meeting where you will given detailed instructions and a walk through of the procedure. Don't be afraid to give it a try. I had a TC at Havasu that just took the CBJ class and had never judged but he did fine. The Reps will kind of Bird-dog you for the first category to make sure you are comfortable with your duties.

Table Captaining is a lot of fun and I recommend everyone does it a some point. At contests where they have all the judges they need you can sometimes get accepted by indicating to the Organizer you will TC or help out in the tent in other ways. This doesn't always work but it never hurts to ask.

Kelly

#3 Butch Richardson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

I would take the class. Is there any way we can get it connected to the CBJ class 4/21?

#4 K & K MacIntosh

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

That is the Organizer's call. The TC class just before or after the CBJ class works pretty well. As I recall, I believe it's about an hour long.

Kelly

#5 Butch Richardson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

That's how it was done in KC when I took the CBJ class. I was just another hour of so after. I would be happy to take it.

What is the cost??

Edited by Butch Richardson, 13 February 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#6 K & K MacIntosh

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

I don't recall the cost. I will send Marta an email advising her there may be some interest in a TC class along with her CBJ class.

Kelly

#7 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

I took the table captain class, along with Tom Breitweiser, Ben Lobenstein, and others a few years ago on the pennisula. Gene taught the class. I remember spending half of the class talking about what happens if the box is dropped. Yikes. It was complicated enough to ensure that I always wore sensible shoes on contest days. PM me if you want a copy of the notes. I can send it along, as long as I'm not breaking any rules. I'd also be happy to share what I know about being a table captain if I see you at a contest, or otherwise. Not everything is obvious and guidance for new judges is always a big plus.

#8 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostDonna Fong, on 13 February 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

I took the table captain class, along with Tom Breitweiser, Ben Lobenstein, and others a few years ago on the pennisula. Gene taught the class. I remember spending half of the class talking about what happens if the box is dropped. Yikes. It was complicated enough to ensure that I always wore sensible shoes on contest days. PM me if you want a copy of the notes. I can send it along, as long as I'm not breaking any rules. I'd also be happy to share what I know about being a table captain if I see you at a contest, or otherwise. Not everything is obvious and guidance for new judges is always a big plus.
Donna,
I would be very much interested in a copy of the notes you took at the Table Captain's class. Tried to PM you but your mail box is not accepting any new PMs. Must be full.

JK

#9 Butch Richardson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Your offer is great Donna but we need to promote more CBJ and TC classes in CA so please don't just give it away. We need to promote and support any and everyone willing to promote these classes.

#10 Marta Viola

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

How many would be interested in a table captain class held before our judging class on April 21, 2012 in Placerville? About 10 am start time.

Edited by Marta Viola, 15 February 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#11 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:MCBJ, Certified TC and part time tuna slayer.. Good food, good drinks, and good friends

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

I've been a TC a few times and double duty others. It's a nice break for those Back to Back comps. I would be interested however i'm in So. Cal so that's a bit of a drive.

#12 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

The KCBS website has an mp3 talking about the table captain's duties. The location is in "forms" which is under the tab "About KCBS" but you must log on as a member to see the full list which includes the table captain mp3. There is also a judges mp3.

#13 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostK & K MacIntosh, on 13 February 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

As they say in the Nike ads, "Just Do It".

Because of the lack of TC classes in California the majority of TC's you see at contests are not certified TC's. If you volunteer to be a TC at one of my contests I will play the Table Captain CD and I hold a TC meeting where you will given detailed instructions and a walk through of the procedure. Don't be afraid to give it a try. I had a TC at Havasu that just took the CBJ class and had never judged but he did fine. The Reps will kind of Bird-dog you for the first category to make sure you are comfortable with your duties.

Table Captaining is a lot of fun and I recommend everyone does it a some point. At contests where they have all the judges they need you can sometimes get accepted by indicating to the Organizer you will TC or help out in the tent in other ways. This doesn't always work but it never hurts to ask.

Kelly

Would it be possible for you or someone else to conduct a KCBS Certified Table Captain Class at one of the upcoming contests such as Wine Country Big Q in Santa Rosa, Smokin' in the Oaks in Penn Valley, or Smokin on the Water in Lakeport? I would think quite a few judges attending these events will have overnight accomodations the night before the contest and would be very interested in taking the class during the morning before judging takes place.

JK

#14 K & K MacIntosh

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

I am not a KCBS instructor so I can't do the class. TC classes are always held in conjunction with CBJ classes. The TC class is under an hour so bringing in an instructor just for that doesn't make sense. I believe Gene did a TC class at the CBJ class in Placerville last month. I think he had around 30 people take the TC class. Mesquite might be the next opportunity for a TC class but it would need to be set up.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users