8th annual "Ric's Backyard"

Now open

175 replies to this topic

#21 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Sherry and I should be there in some capacity, if we are welcome. We won't be defending our GC title because I would rather give the spot to a new team who is looking for the practice. I may be able to do some mentoring and help where needed. We had so much fun last year, I can't even begin to describe it! Don't miss your chance for this one folks!

#22 John Chips

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

I will come down and judge or just hang around.

NUTZ

#23 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

Quoted from one of Ric's previous posts above: "This is an event where experience weighs a lot and priority is given to CBJ's and very experinced judges. I am so sorry I did not make this clear in my initial post."

Ric,

Although I am a CBJ, I've only judged one competition. Please give my spot to a more experienced judge. Thanks.

#24 Dana Myers

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Plastered Pig BBQ would love to enter this event, Ric!

Thanks -
Dana
Plastered Pig BBQ

#25 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostJohn Kelly, on 07 February 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

Quoted from one of Ric's previous posts above: "This is an event where experience weighs a lot and priority is given to CBJ's and very experinced judges. I am so sorry I did not make this clear in my initial post."

Ric,

Although I am a CBJ, I've only judged one competition. Please give my spot to a more experienced judge. Thanks.

John, and any other judge I may have offended, without a doubt that has to be one of the most poorly worded posts I have written in a long time. Sometimes I just can’t frame the words to my thinking and it comes out well…just wrong. I wasn’t trying to single anyone out, or be discourteous to the judges who signed up. More so, I was trying to establish the bar for other judges who were not familiar with the Backyard. I obviously did not do that well. I am sorry if I offend you and others with my poor choice of words. I would be very pleased to have you judge. The backyard is also a tune up for judges in that it gives them a chance to see how there judging compares to other judges and an open format to discuss the differences. I hope you will join us.

ric

#26 Ric Gilbert

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

I can accept two judges for a waitning list otherwise Judging is closed, thank you.

This year's Judges:

Mark Evenson
Bill Bain
Tracy Allen
David Hornby
John Kelly
Jon Green
Frank Boyer
Peter S.
Stett H.
Linda Z.
Scott Hares
John Chips.

Judging Coordinator: Ben Lobenstein

A great line up of judges. Thank you all.

ric

#27 Anna Stockel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:"Do it all"

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Does anyone remember the mystery meat from last year?

#28 Mark Brown

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Pork tenderlion

#29 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostRic Gilbert, on 07 February 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

John, and any other judge I may have offended, without a doubt that has to be one of the most poorly worded posts I have written in a long time. Sometimes I just can’t frame the words to my thinking and it comes out well…just wrong. I wasn’t trying to single anyone out, or be discourteous to the judges who signed up. More so, I was trying to establish the bar for other judges who were not familiar with the Backyard. I obviously did not do that well. I am sorry if I offend you and others with my poor choice of words. I would be very pleased to have you judge. The backyard is also a tune up for judges in that it gives them a chance to see how there judging compares to other judges and an open format to discuss the differences. I hope you will join us.

ric
Ric - No offense taken here. The backyard is a great way for teams to receive feedback from experienced judges. Some of the judges' comments may very well help a team to take the walk.

Rather than judge, I'd like to help out on Saturday, listen to the judging, and hopefully sample some of the Q for the volunteers. If you could use some help on Saturday, please let me know.

Come this time next year, I should have judged several competitions and will be pestering you to consider me for a judge position at the backyard.

JK

#30 Pat Kennealy

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ric, If you don't get enough newbies, Sean would like a chance to compete once again.

#31 John Chips

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostRic Gilbert, on 06 February 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

Wow, this is happening quickly. Thank you all. I have room for one more judge and two spots on a waiting list. Here is the current list of judges and teams JUDGES Mark Evenson Bill Bain Tracy Allen David Hornby John Kelly Jon Green Frank Boyer Pete S. Stett Linda PC JUDGES John Mansmith Arie Litman TEAMS (Nine spots left) Bad ‘S’ Bbq Wine with Swine Sisters from Different Misters - Great name !!!

I think this speaks highly of you Ric. Almost filled up and we don"t even have a date yet! I guess the word is out.

NUTZ

#32 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostJohn Chips, on 07 February 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

I think this speaks highly of you Ric. Almost filled up and we don"t even have a date yet! I guess the word is out.

NUTZ

Date is 3/24

#33 Ric Gilbert

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostPat Kennealy, on 07 February 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

Ric, If you don't get enough newbies, Sean would like a chance to compete once again.

Love to have ya'll, Bet Sean is ready to kick some butt.

Updated team list:

Bad S Bbq
Wine with Swine
Sisters From Different Misters
Woddbine Wolverines
WeBQn
Woodbine Wolverines

Only six spots left and two for the waiting list.

#34 John Chips

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostBen Lobenstein, on 08 February 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

Date is 3/24

My error. I found the Wiki and it had a date. My reference was to this post. Sorry!

NUTZ

#35 Marty King

Hello

• 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi Ric: Royal Smokin Hot would love to cook....BTW, as an added inducement, O'Grady may be persuaded to bring his Margarita Machine on steroids to the event!!

Marty King

#36 Ric Gilbert

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

That will get you in for sure!

Royal Smokin Hot is in as #7

#37 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Ay room for a little Smokey Luv? We have a whole new set of recipies to work on...

#38 Ric Gilbert

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

You got it Kev, Smokey Luv is #8

#39 Jason Eads

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Music, Fishing

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Ric,

Eads' Downhome would love to compete. This sounds really cool.

Jason

#40 Jason Clark

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hey Ric, I competed last year so I don't want to take up a spot but if you could put me on the reserve list I won't mind filling in in case someone drops out last minute.

If those fill up I'm coming anyways just to loiter. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users