• PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: Certified BBQ Judges Class

#2 Kathy Jurgens

• 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Want to learn to judge good BBQ?

In preparation for our 2012 BBQ events, the inaugural presentation of our newest event, “Smokin’ Q’ Spring Fest which will feature back to back Competitions on April 28 and 29 and the 3rd Annual “Smokin’ for Gold” Competition to be held September 22, you have the opportunity to attend our one and only …

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge’s Class – Must have a min. of 24 in class
Saturday, April 21, 2012 Deadline to register is April 13, 2012
At the Fairgrounds in Placerville
100 Placerville Drive
Placerville, CA 95667
Time: 11:00am – 4:00pm (Reservation check in 11:00am, you must be seated and ready to begin at 11:30am sharp!)

KCBS Members $60 per person

Non Members $95 per person

What you receive: By attending the official judging class conducted by KCBS you will be instructed on how to judge world-class BBQ. KCBS conducts official competitions at each event in the following categories: chicken, ribs, pork and brisket. A KCBS judge evaluates bbq in three different criteria: taste, appearance and texture. KCBS sanctioned events always prefer to have a Certified BBQ Judge.
The Non-Member Fee includes a one year membership in KCBS. You will also receive a Certified Judges Manual and badge.

Please send the attached 2012 Judging Class Entry Form along with your check payable to:
El Dorado County Fair
PO Box 1587
Placerville, CA 95667

For more information please contact Marta Viola 530)621-5862 or email marta@eldoradocountyfair.org

APPLICATION
KCBS Certified Judging Class

El Dorado County Fair
100 Placerville Drive, Placerville, CA 95667
Mail to: P.O. Box 1587, Placerville, CA 95667
Class Date: Saturday, April 21, 2012
Application Deadline: Friday, April 13, 2012

NAME: ______________________________________________________________________________

ADDRESS: ___________________________________________________________________________

CITY: _____________________________________________ ST: ______________ ZIP: ____________

HOME PHONE: _____________________________ CELL PHONE: ____________________________

EMAIL: _____________________________________________________________________________

Have you previously attended a KCBS judging class? (Circle one) YES NO

Are you a current KCBS member? (Circle one) YES NO

Current KCBS members must provide their KCBS number: ______________________

Please send check and application to the address on top of this form.

Price: KCBS Member: $60 Non-KCBS Member: $95

Any questions? Please feel free to contact Marta Viola either via email:
marta@eldoradocountyfair.org or call me at the office: 530-621-5862 or my cell 530-919-1587. Hope to see you there!

#3 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hey Kathy/Marta,
Is there a link to the application/form for the class?
Is there a maximum number of participants accepted?

#4 Butch Richardson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

I am curious how many people have signed up for this. My wife is interested in taking it and I will be there also not to take the class but support her and the class in general.

Non CBJs and BBQ fans in norcal need to sign up for this. We need to support the people that are willing to put on The CBJ classes!

Edited by Butch Richardson, 13 February 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#5 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

Will there be a Table Captain's class as well?

#6 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Butch,

Try to find out what team will be doing the cooking for the class. Because of the number of boxes required and the specific way the boxes must be constructed, they will need a number of people to make boxes for the class. That may be a way to help out.

#7 Butch Richardson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Great idea Benny. I just so happen to know who is cooking and will be traveling with the to Vegas and will talk to them about it.

#8 Marta Viola

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

http://www.eldoradoc...onwinfo_003.pdf

I hope that works Tracy.

Kathy

#9 Marta Viola

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Butch as of now we have 30 people signed up. We have plenty of room for more.

How many folks might be interested in Table Captain class if it was held at 10am, prior to judging class? $25 add'l if you are signed up for judging class, or $40 if you just want Table Captain class? Let us know!!! We would be happy to add if we can get at least 10 signed up.

Kathy

#10 Butch Richardson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thanks Kathy. My wife is going to sign up for the CBJ class. I'm already a CBJ so I won't take that but I would take the TC class.

Edited by Butch Richardson, 15 February 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#11 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostMarta Viola, on 15 February 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Works Great!
Thanks Kathy

#12 Marta Viola

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hi everyone - As you can see from the link, signups are going great for the class! Thank you. We have had several inquiries about a table captain class and we are willing to have one before the judging class starts. Gene has said that even if you are taking the class, you can also take the table captain class before the judging class.

If there is enough repsonse we will offer, so if you are interested please call Marta at 530-919-1587 or email me at marta@eldoradocountyfair,org

#13 Marta Viola

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

We would also love any help from those that may be traveling with someone taking the judging class. As the number of class participants increase more help will be necessary and we would truly appreciate the help! :heart:

Marta

#14 Marta Viola

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi everyone! Just updated the class list. We are up to 44 confirmed participants! It is going to be a blast. We could use some additional help with the event so if you can help out and are not taking the class, please let me (Marta) know. Thanks to al of you who have signed up! You can reach me by email at marta@eldoradocountyfair.org or by phone 530-919-1587.

Edited by Marta Viola, 06 March 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#15 Marta Viola

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Wow - thank you so much for the positive response to the BBQ Judging Class! We are up to 71 confirmed participants!

#16 Marta Viola

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Counting down the days to the judging class. Over a hundred participants! YEAH! This will be fun. Thank you to our cooks - Jack Simmons with Big Shot BBQ and Tom Sharp of Big Pig BBQ - could not do it without you and thanks also to the calm guidance of Gene Goycochea our endlessly helpful instructor! Lookinf forward to having everyone here this weekend - great weather should be in store!

#17 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Wow, 71 more CBJs in NorCal. Looks like judging sign ups will have to be 6 months (or more) ahead of the contests to get in. Good luck to all of you.

Double good luck to Big Pig BBQ and all the volunteers who have to put 144 boxes together for this class.

Edited by Benny Adauto, 17 April 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#18 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

The latest update says there are over 100 participants. 100 newly minted judges. Just think of it for a second. It is certainly good to see the interest in our sport, but is a bit scary all at the same time.

I am participating in this. In fact, not only me, but my wife, my daughter, my in-laws and a friend. So, we account for 6% of this. This will mean my team will almost be 100% CBJs. Just my younger daughter won't be since she is only 15 and you need to be 18 to be certified.

Should be fun!

#19 K & K MacIntosh

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 17 April 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

The latest update says there are over 100 participants. 100 newly minted judges. Just think of it for a second. It is certainly good to see the interest in our sport, but is a bit scary all at the same time.

I am participating in this. In fact, not only me, but my wife, my daughter, my in-laws and a friend. So, we account for 6% of this. This will mean my team will almost be 100% CBJs. Just my younger daughter won't be since she is only 15 and you need to be 18 to be certified.

Should be fun!
She only needs to be 16 years old to judge but I am not sure how old you must be to take the class but it can't be 18. You might check into this. When does she turn 16?

#20 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Kelly. I thought I had read somewhere that 18 was the age. She only just turned 15 in February (at Q-Fest), so she has a ways to go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users