73 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:BBQ (of course), Woodworking, Camping

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Just saw this on the KCBS calendar, anyone have any details?

Inland Empire Dixie Salsa BBQ Competition
[TENTATIVE] Ontario, CA
Starts: 05/04/2012
Ends: 05/05/2012
KCBS Reps: JOHN HOPKINS, GENE GOYCOCHEA

Contact Information:
Helen Denning
Phone: 909-851-2725
dpulido.hba@gmail.com

#2 Lance Miller

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Lots of talk about this one here:

http://www.cbbqa.org...h=1

You have great website, by the way.

#3 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks Lance, I had not seen that post.

Thanks for the kudos on our website, it is always a work in progress.

View PostLance Miller, on 02 February 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Lots of talk about this one here:

http://www.cbbqa.org...h=1

You have great website, by the way.

#4 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

I would love to do ths contest but...

Standard space of 10 x 20 is $275, 20 x 30 is $400. Electrical service is $100. I need 20 x 40 for my standard setup & electricity.

Prize Purse is $4000 based on a minimum of 24 teams with the GC & RGC taking $2300 of that. Category winners get $200 for 1st, $150 for 2nd & 3rd gets $75. Very top heavy contest.

The public is also being charged $10 per person to get in to the event.
I know the pictures looked good for the truck event, but was that at $10 per person also?

I sent the organizer, David Pulido, an email about my concerns above. I let him know I would love to support his event but I would not be interested at these rates. $275 for 20 x 40 & electricity. PC @ 80/20 and I'm there. If different I will be at Long Beach and Bakersfield without spending a ton for an unproven contest.

Steve

#5 andy allen

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

wow thats a hefty contest that more expensive then the vegas comp last year for 125,000

#6 Eva harris

Rib Doctor BBQ

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, BBQing, and spending time with the love of my life Hayward Harris JR aka The Rib Doctor

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

To rich for my blood, my coach is 40ft plus my smoke need power, most contest i can get a 20x60 space for 300 and 50-75 for 50amp
power.
Best of luck if the price drop please let me know or if prize money is 15 or 20,000 for that amount of money.
Eva H
The Rib Doctor

#7 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

You guys are right this contest is WAY expensive!..it would cost us 500 bucks to enter and a dinky prize pool doesn't help..it's close to home but for that kind of cash the prize pool should be at least 4-5 times that amount..maybe someone sould get in contact with this new promoter and let him know with the way it's looking now this comp might fail before it even starts.

Edited by matt dalton, 16 March 2012 - 05:54 AM.

#8 Jerry Aguilar

Secretary

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

They're claiming over 30 teams. Is anyone from here signed up for this one?

I'm not, and it's 20 minutes from home.

#9 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

No were not signed up and I'm pretty sure we won't be if some changes aren't made to either the entry fee or the prize pool..let's look @ smokin in mesquite..400 entry water,power,trash 20x40 and 40,000 payout..Ontario 500 entry(for us) and 10x less money..hmmmm?

#10 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

Not us, too much money for an unproven contest with too little prize money. I would really like to know who the 30+ teams are too!

#11 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think the promoter is thinking that Competition BBQ Teams And Food Trucks are on par with each other. The space needed to cover a food truck is the trucks actual foot print. We on the other hand need space to set up our outdoor kitchens, smokers and, for some, sleeping accommodations. Food truck are money making machines, Competition BBQ, well let's just say, it's not for the money. Food trucks are a business operation, Comp BBQ is an advocation.

Mr. Pulido, please quickly reconsider your fee structure. It is currently a "lose, lose scenario". Our sport is just starting to take off and it would be asshamed to have a contest fail due to no one showing up to compete.

On the flip side, this could be the first contest ever that the GC, RGC and DAL are all the same team.

All the best, with luck, I hope to see you all, if the fee structure changes.

Steve

#12 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

I emailed him too Steve..I guess we'll have to see what he thinks?

#13 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 13 March 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

The public is also being charged $10 per person to get in to the event.
I know the pictures looked good for the truck event, but was that at $10 per person also?

Yeah.. every truck event I've been to normally charges $15-$20 just to go in.. + Parking... I am sure this event will also be charging parking since it is at a Sports Arena site.... Man I should reconsider only charging $299 early bird for Pechanga's $15,000 contest... what am I thinking??? Lol, lol....

Dave if you read these forumns... rule #1 - (for promoters in our sport) take as much care of the teams as you possibly can, (no you can't please everyone, all the time, just try to please most).. without them your BBQ contest will not succeed.. for the prize pool of money you are giving away $249 entry fee for 40 x 20 (including HD permit- Riv county) is about right... with $1 per ticket to the teams on PC. and unless you have 30 restaurants signed up for the competition, don't imflate team count, that is probably the single worst thing you can do.

#14 Stephan Franklin

President

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Wow he needs to come way down to attract some of us.

#15 Sylvie Curry

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

I'm not interested either.

#16 Shuji Sakai

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Slicing and dicing

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

$10 just to get in the gate with no food tickets in exchange, is a non-starter for a lot of the eating public. These giant clustertruck "festivals" aren't new, and too many people have been burned on poorly-executed clustertrucks in L.A. Maybe the people of Ontario haven't been burned by greedy organizers, and they would actually be suckered into attenting. This event has all the hallmarks of a rookie disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by Shuji Sakai, 18 March 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#17 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hi All-

Just got off the phone with David Pulido. He's a good guy. The misunderstanding on fees associated with the venue is really a misunderstanding of the venue itself. The Citizens Bank Arena has the misconception we are similar to the food trucks. In my talk with David, he assured me that we are in a huge parking lot and space is really not an issue for our normal setups...canopies, cookers, enclosed trailers and the like. Cars, trucks, vans, & RV's, on the other hand, are a little more difficult to work with. The parking lot has the concrete parking stoppers in them so it's not going to be easy getting the late comers situated. RV's will be close to the cooking area but probably not at your front door. The earlier you arrive, the better you will be accommodated is how it sounds.

Electricity is getting better as well. The parking lot is well lit, according to David. The Arena folks are going to have to rent the generators. He thinks if 4 BBQ teams can commit to 1 generator the cost would go down to $50. Still way expensive, I'll bring my own for that cost. I don't know how many generators are needed to supply the approximately 25 teams that may attend, but I would think very few. The Arena is worried the Food Trucks will tap into the generators, because "They are there". I'm sure their demands are higher than ours.

Anyway, he's sending me an email, confirming what we spoke about and I will forward it when it comes to those interested.

I think we are at $275 for 20' X 25' which will cover my 2 canopies & my smoker space. If I want power it's $50, but I'll bring my own.

PC still looks like a problem: David says that the San Bernardino County HD is a pain to deal with. If you want to PC you have to deal with them directly. I will check it out and report back as soon as I can.

As a funny or sad side note: judges are going to have to pay normal entry to get in to the event. How many are going to show... then leave?

I think this will be a good event in the future when the arena see's what we are and realizes we are committed hobbyists not businesses on wheels.

Steve

#18 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

SB Health is easy compared to others here in SoCal
You just have to do what is asked

#19 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Sounds like one team is in, who's next :innocent:

Count Funtime out this year. So many new contests, we can't do half of them.

#20 Donna Fong

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I'd like to either cook or judge this one. At this rate, judging would be cheaper. Maybe Steve Wilson and I can duke it out for GC and RGC.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users