63 replies to this topic

#41 scott bertken

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:harleys smoking meat racing and hunting what else is there

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Donna, a GREAT job
Couldn't have happend to a sweeter lady.

Congrats to all who made their turn ins. Big Bs and Hummineys. And all who got called.

#42 Bill Souza

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Congrats Donna on your GC!! Don't feel bad for us, we are all there to win. Today was your day, so enjoy. Back to back would have been sweet, but watching you get your First GC was awesome! Congrats to all who got walks and calls. Thanks Rocks Barbecue! Thanks to Derrick on our first place ribs!

#43 Butch Richardson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

http://www.kcbs.us/e...month=7&id=3296

#44 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

OH Wow! How awesome was that! Donna's first GC and on her home turf! Sooo amazingly cool!!! I had tears in my eyes for her before her name was even called! Now the 4 top 10 Rookie teams from last year all have a GC!

Congrats to Big B's on a great cook as well, and all else who took walks!

Had fun being wedged between Cecil's and TATN for the weekend!

#45 Butch Richardson

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Way to go Donna on your 1st GC and Big Bs on their RGC. I was sitting with Big Bs at the awards When it came down to calling GC and RGC we were all rooting for you. If that doesn't show the respect for and wishing the best for our fellow competitors and our BBQ family I don't know what does.

#46 RYAN PANG

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Bbq, building smokers that can compete with the big boys
    My baby girl

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Awesome job butchers daughter team!
So happy for you donna!
Congrats to Woodhouse for their throwdown win
And for Big Ducks pc win...what a trailer...so cool.
Nice to see you all!

#47 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostRYAN PANG, on 07 July 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Awesome job butchers daughter team!
So happy for you donna!
Congrats to Woodhouse for their throwdown win
And for Big Ducks pc win...what a trailer...so cool.
Nice to see you all!
That was Big Dicks BBQ...

#48 Jason Clark

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Too bad the rudest meanest most argumentative Fire Marshal woman I have ever met in my life could have had some Big Dicks BBQ before she made her rounds. Would have saved me $50 on a new extinguisher from Home Depot. She makes the Heath Department a hole at Rancho Cordova look like Barney Friggin Fife. What was that about? Would have been nice to know they could be certified on site before we spent $50 just to stay in the comp. I want my Friday back so I can go to the beach instead.

#49 Stephan Franklin

President

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Nice job, Donna!

#50 Bill Keyes

CBBQA Hall of Fame, Inducted 2013, Pres. Award 2012

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

I am so happy for you Donna. Congrats girl.

#51 Amberleigh Stipicevich

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Congrats Donna, Paul, and Peggy! It was so wonderful to watch.

#52 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Admittedly, Miranda and I are still in a state of suspended disbelief. Most of the time, you hope the person with the microphone says your team name just once. Beyond that, you cheer for your friends that did well and hope the comment cards give you some clue on what to do next time.

CBJs, Peggy and Paul Brown were cooking with me this weekend and helping me readjust profiles, keep time, wash dishes, start fires and many countless other activities. Their presence during this cook was invaluable. It was a joy to watch Miranda inject, clean and taste and then be proud.

The one person I owe more to than anyone else is Harry Soo who has guided me and been my greatest cheerleader. I couldn’t be any luckier than to have him at my side.
A huge shout-out goes to Butch Richardson who helped me lug all of our stuff to the Coliseum at an ungodly hour and running the sauce tasting when I couldn't, to Anna/Michael for helping me clean up, to Jennifer Harper for bringing a contest to Oakland and making it so much more than just a contest, to Shannon for his good humor, to Gene Goycochea and Lori Lopp for running a wonderful contest, and to my neighbors, to Charlotte and Matt from Phat Matt’s, John Shepard of Sir Porkalot, Rock’s, and Mike and Tim from M & T’s Pure Smoke. It was a real pleasure to cook with you all. And of course to Yvonne and Bill Souza for winning RGC. It was a very narrow margin and it could have gone either way. You guys are so powerful.

And last but not least, more than anything, I am relieved. As a proud member of last year’s rookie class, it kinda felt like Ribstock all over again with me bringing it in from the rear. I can say without any hesitation that we all cheer for each other as much as we cheer for ourselves. I will keep my fingers crossed as our boys from Banning pack in the miles and represent. And as the fall approaches, may we all do California proud. Thank you everyone.

Edited by Donna Fong, 08 July 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#53 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Great job Donna and team, it's always a hoot to see someone get their first GC. And to Big B, your consistency is truly admirable.

#54 David Tendick

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Business Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:F1 & ALMS Racing, BBQ/Cooking, Teaching & Coaching, Action Pistol Shooting & CQB Shooting, CBJ

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Congrats Donna on a job well done. Wish we could have been there, we'll see you at the next one.

#55 Anna Stockel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:"Do it all"

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm very proud of you, Donna!

The other teams know the countless hours & $ of practice, finding just the right ingredients, tweaking, diligent pre-contest prep, driving all over, loading, un-loading, loading and un-loading again, cleaning, etc. that are required to reach that level of BBQ excellence. (Whew, I made myself tired just writing that.)

I think that is partly why you all feel so good when your fellow teams walk.

From my own experience cooking at home and competing with another team 2X now, I admire every team who competes and am thrilled when I personally get to watch someone go through everything it takes to earn a GC in such an accomplished field of teams.

#56 Paul Brown

What can I say I like it here

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:I am a 'Barbeque Nut', that cooks almost every weekend rain or shine. I compete in Dutch Oven and Chili cookoffs. Barbeque Judging has been a new arena that My wife (Ms. Goofy) and I have been jumping full flame into. You can read more of my lunacy(sanity) at Madmeatgenius.com

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Yeah Donna,

Here are several pictures on Mad Meat Genius

#57 Robert Fukushima

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:bbq, cooking, brewing

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Congratulations Donna, it was great to meet you late Friday night, or somewhere thereabouts. What a wonderful thing, that you won it all. It was great to meet everyone there, Harry is a gas and it was nice to be cooking next to Phat Matt's, Harry and you.

Congrats also to Big B's and Adam/Huminies, it was good to connect with Adam and Ric again as well. Meeting Hound Dog again was fun, having seen him at his first comp a couple years ago and seeing him rolling now.

#58 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Jennifer and crew - what a great job you all did. Thank you so much. I heard there were some last minute "hurdles" to overcome and that you and your team did an awesome job in doing so. Perhaps you would consider posting the proceeds which benefit your charity.

It was an honor to be selected as one of the CBJs. The turn-ins were great. All of the competitors sure had their game on. That was some of the best BBQ in all four categories that I've ever had the privilege to judge.

Donna - you won this contest against some great competion, that's for sure. Congratulations.

#59 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hello Everyone,

First, congratulations Donna. I was thrilled to hear you took GC and to have it at the Bay Area BBQ Championship makes it extra special.

Second, thank you ALL for your flexibility and understanding in rolling with the very last minute changes. As many of you know I am a planner and to have the site moved with an entirely new geographic footprint 2 days before the building of the event took an entire village to make it happen and you are all a part of that. So thank you, thank you, thank you - we pulled it off. I can assure you all, we had a lot of top brass at the event and we will never have that situation again.

Finally, I hope you all know how much I appreciate the time, money and efforts you all put into the contest. I will continue to work diligently to make sure the 3rd Bay Area BBQ Championship is a positive experience for everyone.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

#60 Robert Fukushima

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:bbq, cooking, brewing

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Jennifer, thank you for putting on a great event. The last minute changes notwithstanding, it was a lot of fun.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users