63 replies to this topic

#1 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hello CBBQA!

Planning for the 2012 Bay Area BBQ Championship (BABC) has been in full swing since August. We have an amazing BABC 2012 Committee of 12 who is enthusiastically committed to making the BABC 2012 one fabulous event. Here are the known facts as of today:

The Oakland A's
has made Alternative Family Service (the foster agency hosting the event)an official 2012 partner. This means the BABC 2012 will be an official Oakland A's/Major League Baseball event. The A's will be helping to promote (radio, TV, print) and sell tickets through their MLB site. This official partnership has incredible potential in terms of promotion, access to sponsors and helping the BABC become California's premier barbecue destination and raise funds for the hundreds of foster youth served by AFS.

Sanctioning: The BABC will be a KCBS event. We have been approved be the KCBS Board! We will also be submitting the application to also be a ToY event.
Date: The two potential dates for the 2012 BABC are June 16th or July 7th. The A's are currently in negotiations with FOX sports to finalize the 2012 schedule and airing times. There is a possibility that the June 16th date may be a 1:05 game which will not be conducive to the event as we want a 6:05 game so we can have the entire day (and of course no 9:30am turn-in times)! I am told that we should have a final date any day.
New Official Additions to the BABC
Tasting Tickets Sold On-site: As official A's partners, the BABC will be able to sell tasting tickets on site (we had to pre-sell last year)
Pairing Tent: There will be an official BBQ/Beer pairing tent run by Aramark, the A's official food & beverage supplier
Food Demo Tent: The highest ratings from our guest surveys came from Harry's Tri-tip demo. The guests want more up-close and personal food demos.
Live Entertainment: we will be adding a number of live entertainment options
Backyard/Amateur Contest: To provide an opportunity for corporate/community partner teams and celebrity judges to participate in a contest that is not as formal

As soon as the date is final, I will begin posting on the Wiki page for the 2nd Annual Bay Area BBQ Championship and the updated BABC 2012 website will go up.

We look forward to working with CBBQA once again in 2012!
As always you can contact me directly with questions.
Sincerely,
Jennifer Harper, M.A., M.B.A.
Director of Development and Marketing
(510)759-1271, jharper@afs4kids.org
Alternative Family Services
www.afs4kids.org

#2 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

Wow Jennifer,
This sounds like the BABC is shaping up to meet everyone's needs this year, and then some.
Looking forward to putting this one on my calendar, AND seeing it on the official A's calendar!

#3 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

This was a first rate competition, especially considering it was the first year they held it. I'll be back again.

#4 harry stewart

2010 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Co-owner operator of Great American Barbecue Alameda, Ca. Member since 2007 having competed, educated and provided charity support for the CBBQA membership and its selcected charities.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

Look forward to another stellar contest locally. Thanks Jennifer!

#5 harry stewart

2010 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Co-owner operator of Great American Barbecue Alameda, Ca. Member since 2007 having competed, educated and provided charity support for the CBBQA membership and its selcected charities.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

View PostJennifer Harper, on 15 November 2011 - 11:13 PM, said:

Hello CBBQA!

Planning for the 2012 Bay Area BBQ Championship (BABC) has been in full swing since August. We have an amazing BABC 2012 Committee of 12 who is enthusiastically committed to making the BABC 2012 one fabulous event. Here are the known facts as of today:

The Oakland A's
has made Alternative Family Service (the foster agency hosting the event)an official 2012 partner. This means the BABC 2012 will be an official Oakland A's/Major League Baseball event. The A's will be helping to promote (radio, TV, print) and sell tickets through their MLB site. This official partnership has incredible potential in terms of promotion, access to sponsors and helping the BABC become California's premier barbecue destination and raise funds for the hundreds of foster youth served by AFS.

Sanctioning: The BABC will be a KCBS event. We have been approved be the KCBS Board! We will also be submitting the application to also be a ToY event.
Date: The two potential dates for the 2012 BABC are June 16th or July 7th. The A's are currently in negotiations with FOX sports to finalize the 2012 schedule and airing times. There is a possibility that the June 16th date may be a 1:05 game which will not be conducive to the event as we want a 6:05 game so we can have the entire day (and of course no 9:30am turn-in times)! I am told that we should have a final date any day.
New Official Additions to the BABC
Tasting Tickets Sold On-site: As official A's partners, the BABC will be able to sell tasting tickets on site (we had to pre-sell last year)
Pairing Tent: There will be an official BBQ/Beer pairing tent run by Aramark, the A's official food & beverage supplier
Food Demo Tent: The highest ratings from our guest surveys came from Harry's Stewart's Tri-tip demo. The guests want more up-close and personal food demos.
Live Entertainment: we will be adding a number of live entertainment options
Backyard/Amateur Contest: To provide an opportunity for corporate/community partner teams and celebrity judges to participate in a contest that is not as formal

As soon as the date is final, I will begin posting on the Wiki page for the 2nd Annual Bay Area BBQ Championship and the updated BABC 2012 website will go up.

We look forward to working with CBBQA once again in 2012!
As always you can contact me directly with questions.
Sincerely,
Jennifer Harper, M.A., M.B.A.
Director of Development and Marketing
Alternative Family Services
www.afs4kids.org

#6 Lon Mac Dowell

New to this forum

• 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

Do something with the Giants too :)

#7 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

Save the Date

2nd Annual Bay Area BBQ Championship Saturday July 7, 2012. Oakland Coliseum.
Oakland A's will be playing the Seattle Mariners at 7:05.

Updated website and more info to come in the next couple weeks.
Jennifer

#8 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: 2nd Annual Bay Area BBQ Championships

#9 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

BABC 2012 Updates
We are working feverously behind the scenes on many event details.
  • The KCBS Judge's Application is now ready - click here.
My goal is to have the Pro/Am team applications up by this Friday the 17th. I will post upon completion.
Stay tuned. Much more to come!

Jennifer Harper

#10 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Jennifer!

Hey Jennifer I noticed that the Raiders are also an official sponsor. Any ideas what all that may add to the event?

Edited by Tracy Allen, 11 February 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#11 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi everyone,

Our BABC 2012 committees have been hard at work getting ready to make this one fantastic event.
  • The Certified Judge's Application is now online - click here
The application is not a guarantee one will be selected as a judge. The KCBS reps, BABC 2012 Judge's Committee and myself will review the applications
and send out an e-mail letting you know if you have been selected or if you are on the waiting list.

We also have the "AAA Minor League" Cook-off which is open to some certified judges. The AAA cook-off is where we will invite our celebrity and VIP judges to participate in addition to certified judges.
My goal is to have the Pro/Am Team applications up by this Friday the 17th.

More to come - stay tuned! You may also watch for updates at www.bayareabbq.org.

Jennifer Harper
(510)759-1271
jharper@afs4kids.org

#12 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Like the addition of the AAA competition event this year!

#13 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

Could it be that the event is moving to L.A.?

#14 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Raiders will be contributing Raider's Alum, Raiderettes, possibly some current players who are in town and hopefully a PC team.
Sorry Benny, we will be staying in N.Cal :)

#15 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

There are two pages for the 2012 BABC. click here to follow.

#16 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

BABC 2012 Updates
Hello everyone. We are making great progress on the BABC 2012. Team and Judge's applications are up and we are diligently working on all the new features of the event. Please continue to follow our updates on Facebook and the Wiki.

Special Guest: Welcome Ray Lampe (aka Dr BBQ) to the celebrity lineup. Ray will be adding his barbecue knowledge and enthusiastic personality to the BABC. Welcome Ray!

Team page - click here
Judges page - click here
Volunteer page - click here
Facebook page click here

Exclusive media tasting Friday July 6th from 2:00-4:00. Top Bay Area media personalities will be invited to an exclusive Barbecue & Beer tasting event. Afterwards they will tour the BABC and visit with teams.

Please contact me with any questions.
Jennifer Harper (510)759-1271, jharper@afs4kids.org

#17 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

Moderators,

Please merge this thread with the other BABC WIKI thread. It will make it easier for all of us to follow.

Can Wiki thread also be listed under KCBS? Maybe that is why there are two threads.

Thanks, Benny

Edited by Benny Adauto, 22 February 2012 - 06:33 AM.

#18 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

Benny,

I'll handle this duplicate posting issue with Jennifer via PM.

Matt

#19 RYAN PANG

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Bbq, building smokers that can compete with the big boys
    My baby girl

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

A little Jon 'yeeeeeeeeaaahhh'

Dr. Bbq in the house!

Looks great. Can't wait to pc here.
Killer long lines last year.good payback too.

#20 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

So glad you decided to go with KCBS sanctioning!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users