2012 OC BBQ Festival

177 replies to this topic

#1 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hello Teams! Up to this point, we have been fairly quiet on posting info as of yet. We have been hard at work putting together some major changes to the event! Changes that I hope everyone will love. We are still hashing out the last of the negotiations, BUT here is what I have to share so far:

- The OC BBQ Festival will be opening to a two-day format
- Lot's more music...the event is evolving into a music festival still offering a huge kid zone, picnicing, vendors, car show, and many more things added to the list
- Increased prize money!!! I have a green light to confirm a base prize purse of $10,000. We are still working with sponsors to host ancillary contests (potato salad, Tri-Tip, etc) as well as even more prize money.
- indoor/outdoor room for cooking classes and shows
- ToY will be secured for the event
- Possibly a second contest on Sunday?

Since all the other aspects of the event are being finalized, it is now time to focus on the BBQ contest. We are in need of teams who will committ to being there on Sunday for PC. We are expecting over 15,000+ people this year and are planning 2 People's Choice awards.

I am also interested in feedback from the teams as to a second contest. Interested? too tired the next day? Prefer to just do PC the following day?

I have also done some looking into with contests that aren't sanctioned, but still have prize money, like a rib burn or something along that lines. We are really looking for some feedback from the teams here on this.

The bottom line is we will be a two day event this year and I am looking to you guys to tell me what you want to see happen for your contest on the second day!

#2 Ryan Chester

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

THE RUB COMPANY is definitely in!!! Not big on double contests.

#3 TimW

Forum Nut Job

• Global Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Would we be able to leave after Day 1? Or do we have to stay through day 2, whether it be PC or a second comp? What kind of entry fees are we looking at this year?

#4 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostTimW, on 11 January 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Would we be able to leave after Day 1? Or do we have to stay through day 2, whether it be PC or a second comp? What kind of entry fees are we looking at this year?

After the event closes on Saturday evening, there will be time to do a move out of vendors and teams not staying for the second day and a move-in for vendors/teams who are participating only on Sunday.

For Saturday KCBS contest, entry will be the same $300. Obviously, nothing firm yet on entry/prize $$ for Sunday

#5 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,188 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

We would consider doing two days

#6 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:BBQ (of course), Woodworking, Camping

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hi Kell,

I think that two days of PC is great, but I personally am not a big fan of back to back sanctioned contests. Another advantage of the two days of PC, if you over or under estimate meat, it gives you time to adjust and adapt.

Perhaps do your non sanction type contest (tri-tip, ribs, etc) on Sunday just to keep up the momementum.

Just my two cents :-)

#7 TimW

Forum Nut Job

• Global Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostKelleigh Strobel, on 11 January 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

After the event closes on Saturday evening, there will be time to do a move out of vendors and teams not staying for the second day and a move-in for vendors/teams who are participating only on Sunday.

For Saturday KCBS contest, entry will be the same $300. Obviously, nothing firm yet on entry/prize $$ for Sunday

Thanks. We just want to make sure we have an out just in case.My team is more inclined to do a one competition weekend; although, I'm sure there's quite a few teams who like the two comp format.

If there was a second competition added, would we be able to stay on day 2 to do PC only or would we have to enter the 2nd comp to be able to do PC?

#8 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,188 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostPeter Lent, on 11 January 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hi Kell,

I think that two days of PC is great, but I personally am not a big fan of back to back sanctioned contests. Another advantage of the two days of PC, if you over or under estimate meat, it gives you time to adjust and adapt.

Perhaps do your non sanction type contest (tri-tip, ribs, etc) on Sunday just to keep up the momementum.

Ditto

#9 Joe Golden

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, My Family

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

This sounds like it is going to be a great contest, plus all of the other activitiesto keep the families busy. Really looking forward to being there in some capacity this year if my work schedule let's me.

#10 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostRyan Chester, on 11 January 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

THE RUB COMPANY is definitely in!!! Not big on double contests.
+1 Here..I'm with you Ryan on not being a fan of doubles..Kelleigh is this going to be a double KCBS or just pc the second day?..for our team our most likely plan would be to do the comp the first day and just pc real big for the foundation the 2nd day..I'd rather concentrate on giving the crowd what they came for..RIBS!!!..last year we had a line 25-30 deep and they still weren't ready for another 20 min..wish i woulda taken a picture..also the reason I say ribs is that they will give you as many as you want to cook..we all know ribs are a no profit item for pc but when they give them to you its a no brainer to me!..plus it puts on a good show.

Edited by matt dalton, 11 January 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#11 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostTimW, on 11 January 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Thanks. We just want to make sure we have an out just in case.My team is more inclined to do a one competition weekend; although, I'm sure there's quite a few teams who like the two comp format.

If there was a second competition added, would we be able to stay on day 2 to do PC only or would we have to enter the 2nd comp to be able to do PC?

Tim...have you not been to our event before? If you haven't, you will find I rarely say no to a team. Of course you can stay just for PC. Teams can do all or any combination of contests that will be offered.

#12 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostPeter Lent, on 11 January 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hi Kell,

Love your two cents! I was hoping that with the second day, you and the team won't be too exhausted from your catering gig on Sat to make a Sunday appearance. Wink!

#13 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,188 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

I like the idea of doing record breakin PC sales on Sunday

#14 Robert Hall

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:NB Bandera Lover

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Smokey Bones BBQ has been there the last two years, and you are "inked" into our schedule forever.
I like the two day PC sales. With one contest event. Then to concentrate all efforts towards PC the second.

One suggestion if you go with the two day. Position the teams for 2 day PC sales together and closer to your other events, with the one day teams further out. That way when they leave Saturday night, the grouping of teams will still be visually tight for visitors without a lot of gaps of teams that left.

#15 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,188 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

yep like front row second row

#16 TimW

Forum Nut Job

• Global Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostKelleigh Strobel, on 11 January 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Tim...have you not been to our event before? If you haven't, you will find I rarely say no to a team. Of course you can stay just for PC. Teams can do all or any combination of contests that will be offered.

:thumbsup:

Figure I'd ask. Knowing OC's fairly tough HD, I wouldn't want there to be any issues for a team not listed on the second day of the comp who was only doing PC.. or what have you. Either way, thanks for the clarification. Much like many here, Krisities is basically marked on our calendar every year.

#17 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Oh, Judges....I have not forgotten about you. I have received many email requests to sign up for judging. I think I have responded to all of them, but if not, please be sure that you are on my list and secured the judging spot. Once I have the registration set, I will make an announcment!

#18 andy allen

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

To be honest two day events are hard, but if it gives two days to sell PC its worth it plus another day to help Kristie's. One thing we've realized in doing back to back comps is if you dont cook large meats on the second day and get a good nights rest its not so bad, its the two nights of pit watching that really killed us

#19 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:BBQ
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'm in for two days, one day, half day... Just make sure Brian wears that silly-ass getup and his crown!

PC on second day with an announced winner and 3 paying/award positions would be great.

#20 Stephan Franklin

President

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

A double KCBS contest is desired by me. PC :whistle:

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users