Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

waiting for more info..............

#42 Donna Fong

CBBQA Hall of Fame, Inducted 2015

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The teams are cooking in the middle of the track, whilst horses are running around the outside? There is a way of getting into the middle of the track while races are going on, but only if your rig is less than 11 feet in height. And turn in are within the track? Is that correct?

#43 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm pretty sure, with the co-ordinated turn ins and 30 minutes between races, that you just hand your box to a jockey before the start of a race and they hand it off down the stretch at the judges tent... I'm pretty sure.

Steve

#44 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

The infield at Santa Anita racetrack host a variety of events during the race season (Dec. 26th through April). I've attended a few car related events there in the past. Regular vehicles will be able to drive through a tunnel entrance into the grass infield. Larger vehicles will need to cross over the racing surfaces (dirt and grass). If I remember correctly, cars will not likely be allowed in after the gates open for the public as they share the tunnel with foot traffic.

Ben/Ric,

Please check to make sure those large vehicles will be allow on the grass (weight issues, sinking). Any large indentations in the turf course (not the infield grass) could cause horses to break legs. If not, the back parking lot is huge and may be an alternative. PC would suffer in the parking lot, if that is part of the plan.

Edited by Benny Adauto, 19 January 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#45 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,338 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 19 January 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure, with the co-ordinated turn ins and 30 minutes between races, that you just hand your box to a jockey before the start of a race and they hand it off down the stretch at the judges tent... I'm pretty sure.

Steve

This I want to see

#46 Sylvie Curry

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm looking forward to this event. Less than an hour from home, the venue is on grass, entry fee is nice and payout acceptable.

#47 Steve Wilson

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

And little Guys on ponies carrying our stuff. It's like Christmas but different.

#48 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostBenny Adauto, on 19 January 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Ben/Ric,

Please check to make sure those large vehicles will be allow on the grass (weight issues, sinking). Any large indentations in the turf course (not the infield grass) could cause horses to break legs.

Non issues, they actually build a bridge over the turf track to accommodate over sized vehicles, so the larger vehicles don't actually touch the track. Go figure.

This is why the window for the >11' tall vehicles is when it is (they build the bridge after the race day and tear it down before the end of the night (in this case, Thurs, Fri and Sat), as the horses are practicing on the track from 5am - 11am, or so I'm told.

#49 Adam Hollman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

This sounds like a cool contest...I don't care what the neigh sayers say!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users