Butchering half a hog

9 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Berns

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Welding, Sleeping, Playing with my kids, Camping, cycling, cooking

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

So I have a half of a hog waiting at Corralitos Meat Market to buthcer for me, thanks to my sister-in-law farmer. But I am kind of stuck on how to get it butchered. I was at the farm last week, and they were pretty good sized. I am thinking of the following

From the shoulder (I would rather break these up rather than do a picnic)
1 Butt
1 Ham Shank

From the Loin
Pork Chops
Blade Chops

From the Belly, though I don't think I can do both
Spareribs
Bacon

From the Leg
Ham

Then a lot of sausage.

#2 Steve Rodriguez

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Fly fishing,

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

Adam,
My Kids are in 4h and FFA, We get a whole pig and lamb every year, first hing to consider is your intended storage. Do you have a freezer? Be realistic in the size you take the primal's down to. Appropriate to what you and your family will eat, next go on the internet and search for a Pork Cuts Chart it will layout the different parts of the pig and what you get from each section.
Next determine and have a written list of your wants, before going to butcher shop, the biggest challenge for our family has been the packaging mix we have half the meat freezer wrapped and half vacuum packed. Good luck, and beware the bacon! You will never go back to store bought!

View PostAdam Berns, on 07 September 2011 - 08:54 PM, said:

So I have a half of a hog waiting at Corralitos Meat Market to buthcer for me, thanks to my sister-in-law farmer. But I am kind of stuck on how to get it butchered. I was at the farm last week, and they were pretty good sized. I am thinking of the following

From the shoulder (I would rather break these up rather than do a picnic)
1 Butt
1 Ham Shank

From the Loin
Pork Chops
Blade Chops

From the Belly, though I don't think I can do both
Spareribs
Bacon

From the Leg
Ham

Then a lot of sausage.

Attached Files

#3 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

I think Los Gatos Meats can break that hog down for a fee. I see some butchering classes coming up later this month, but they're not cheap. You could post to the cow-pooling group, there's people there that might show or tell.

#4 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

From how I read you post you have a butcher who will do the work, you just need some ideas on what you want them to do. Steve is right on but I would suggest getting everything vacuum packed that you don't plan to eat in the next few days. That way you don't 'have' to eat pork because for the next month:) I would have them freeze it for you before you pick up what will be frozen. Residential freezers won't be able to freeze as quickly.

Yes you can get bacon and ribs. I would get baby backs and full spares plus bacon, have them cure the bacon if they can handle that unless you like uncured bacon, I don't.

#5 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

I am a big fan of Corralitos market...I am sure they can handle all the butchering, packing, curing, sausage making etc needs...

I was getting my pork butts from them earlier in the year but it became too much hassle to go over the hill for each contest. But they always treated me right and let me hand select exactly what I wanted. And I mean they would not only let me pick from the cases, but they would open up the cyro and let me inspect each roast and only pick the ones I wanted...and then vacuum seal them up for me when I had made my selection.

I think the ideas above sound pretty good and would only add that you should talk to the butcher and see what they recommend as well. I am sure they can steer you in the right direction.

Oh, and Bill's comment about having them freeze for you is a good one. The faster the meat freezes the better to minimize cell damage and prevent moisture loss at cooking time. Have em freeze it up and show up with ice chests!

#6 Rick Renaud

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 08 September 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

let me hand select exactly what I wanted. And I mean they would not only let me pick from the cases, but they would open up the cyro and let me inspect each roast and only pick the ones I wanted...
Not sure I would shop at a market that opened up cryo's and let patrons inspect the contents. Nothing against you Adam, but who knows who and what is touching the meat!

#7 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

They only did this for me when they learned I was a competition cook. All the packages were factory sealed to start and they promptly sealed everything back up in their heavy duty vacuum sealer when I was done. They actually don't sell many butts there, as butts anyway...they use it to make their own sausages which are delicious!

#8 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

I think the ideas above sound pretty good and would only add that you should talk to the butcher and see what they recommend as well. I am sure they can steer you in the right direction.

Adam, I think it is PORK you in the right direction :)

#9 Adam Berns

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

Okay, let me clarify a few things
1. Have have the freezer (big enough to hold a hole pig, half a cow, and icecream for the kids)
2. I have access to an industrial vacuume sealer thingy
3. I don't have a choice on the butcher

I just need to know if any of you have a better idea on how to break half a pig down.

#10 Adam Berns

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Oh yeah, and if anybody is interested in getting some for themselves, you can contact my sister-in-law

http://myemail.const...aid=cSncOMS0zU4

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users