#1 James Werth

New to this forum

• 19 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, PBA Member
    BBQing, Poker, and
    My Kids most of all!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

All,

I was just reading an article that the USDA has changed the minimal safe internal temperature for pork from 160 degrees Farenheit to 145 degrees Farenheit.

Now, I realize that we cook our butts until they reach 190-200, so this may not affect the way we cook it.

However, my questions are:

Will the judges take points off if someone turns in a juicy medium rare Pork dish in a comp?

Will they even attempt to eat it and judge it or will they disqualify it completely?

Do we even want to cook it to that temp or should all follow the standard of 190-200 that most have been doing already?

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

BTW, I had a great time this past weekend as a newcomer helping out at the Bakobbq. This was the first competition that I have attended and it definitely made a good impression on my family and I. I met a lot of great people and everyone was very friendly. I look forward to the next one I attend.

Regards,
James Werth

#2 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

We cook pork shoulder/butt to a temp that is above 190 to make it tender. Food safety and minimum safe temperatures are not really at play with this cut of meat. Anything below this point will probably be tough and chewy. This is because the shoulder/butt has a lot of connective tissues and we cook the meat to the point where all that has broken down and the meat is very tender.

The lowering of the safe temp for pork is more relevant in the context of loin cuts, which are already tender and just need to be cooked. Chops and tenderloin, for example are now deemed 'safe' to eat at 145 degrees by the USDA...although most of us who have been cooking them for years already knew this and enjoy the cuts with a little pink in the middle.

#3 James Werth

New to this forum

• 19 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, PBA Member
    BBQing, Poker, and
    My Kids most of all!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

Gotcha Adam, I didn't know of the reason just that we did it. Thank you for the good info and insite into the prodecure. I have seen those tissues and they don't look appetizing. So, what do you cook yours to? I have seen people say anything from 185-205.

Regards,
James Werth

#4 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

I tend to cook by "feel" rather than an exact temp. I find the low 190s is best for slices and 195+ is better for pulled/chunked. The actual temp may vary, but I have a pretty good feel for when the meat is "done". How easily my temp probe slides into the meat is the best indicator to me.

#5 K & K MacIntosh

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

View PostJames Werth, on 26 May 2011 - 07:37 AM, said:

Will they even attempt to eat it and judge it or will they disqualify it completely?

Judges can't disqualify an entry, only the Reps can. This entry wouldn't be disqualified just because it was cooked medium-rare.

Kelly

#6 Ben Lobenstein

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

View PostK & K MacIntosh, on 26 May 2011 - 10:37 AM, said:

Judges can't disqualify an entry, only the Reps can. This entry wouldn't be disqualified just because it was cooked medium-rare.

Kelly

I'd bet it wouldn't score well, unless you found a way to have butt tender @ 145.

#7 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,146 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

View PostK & K MacIntosh, on 26 May 2011 - 10:37 AM, said:

Kelly

Kelly do you remember the "prime rib brisket" in Hesperia a couple of years ago
Still red inside The first time team sliced the point and sent it in
they finished 11th :)

Edited by Thom Emery, 26 May 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#8 John Jackson

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

for competitions we try to park next to a good Pork team and just mimic everything they do. We find it quite a challenge to mimic the guy from All Hogs go to Heaven.

#9 K & K MacIntosh

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

View PostThom Emery, on 26 May 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

Yes, it was cooked to a perfect doneness for prime rib, not so perfect for brisket...

Kelly

#10 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

View PostJohn Jackson, on 26 May 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

for competitions we try to park next to a good Pork team and just mimic everything they do. We find it quite a challenge to mimic the guy from All Hogs go to Heaven.
Double trouble right there.

#11 Brent Hicks

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:BBQ Smoking and music

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

View PostJohn Jackson, on 26 May 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

I was that guy last week. Steve hadn't put his pork on when I went to sleep at 2am. Can you say hot and fast? 7th in pork! :search:

#12 Ben Lobenstein

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

View PostThom Emery, on 26 May 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

I had one of those @ the Autry (was not a rookie team) - I even have pics of it. This was before Kelly was a Rep!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users