Wildomar's Birthday Bash and RIBFEST 2011

49 replies to this topic

#1 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

When : July 2nd, 2011... Where: Wildomar's Elsinore High School... All Cooks welcome, not a sanctioned event, a fun event for all backyard, Professional, and occasional BBQ'ers.. See how you stack up against the best?

The Ribfest will not be a sanctioned event-- There will be 3 Categories Pork Ribs, Beef Ribs and Anything But.. You may cook on any fuel system, propane ok, wood ok, charcoal ok, electricity ok, etc. etc. So all weekend warriors, professional teams, want a be's, etc.. this is the event you want to attend to see how your stuff compares to the best. Entry fee is only $175 (entry apps will be ready next week). I also need 10-15 KCBS CBJ's to help with judging, I want to do live judging so participating teams can hear from the cbj's themselves as to what they think of their ribs and flavor profiles... So if you want to listen to some Live Music, drink a few Beers, and just chill on Saturday July 2nd, and learn a thing or two about your BBQ from others perspective-- Think of it as a mid-season fine tuning... come on down to Wildomar and celebrate...

Price $$$ Breakdown

Pork Ribs Beef Ribs Anything But

1st- $250 $250 $250
2nd- $200 $200 $200
3rd- $150 $150 $150
4th- $100 $100 $100
5th- $50 $50 $50

Also 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category gets 20, 10 and 5 pts accordingly towards annual pts.. Trophies to 5th place in each category..

An additional $250 to the RIBFEST CHAMPION. (must do all 3 categories to qualify)

Prize Pool will grow at 35 teams , 40, 45, 50 etc... ($300 each 5 teams over 30)... Teams can also finance another event or two by doing PC $1 per sample (ticket) to teams -- the Birthday Bash has generally attracted 3000-4000 people all 3 prior years, with the added Ribfest we are hoping for at least the same and hoping for more. You may sample anything you want, Stuffed Peppers (like Meat Inc.), Cobbler, Ribs (offcourse) - (I would charge 3 tickets per beef Rib), other BBQ- tri-tip, Sausages, etc.. PC should be in the 500+ category if you have enough meat.. event will go from 11am-8pm with awards at 7pm.. You may camp out the night before (no electricity) or set up between 6am and 9am the morning of.. More info to follow...

#2 Vincent Carrocci

CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Henry, leave it to you to make barbeque happen in your neck of the woods on the July 4th weekend.

Sorry to hear about the contest in Murrietta cancelling.

#3 joseph miles

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:cooking fishing travel making rubs

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

HENRY I WILL BE THERE TO JUDGE AND HELP :clapping:

#4 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Entry forms and Vendor forms coming tonight or tomorrow...

#5 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:BBQ (of course), Woodworking, Camping

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

Henry,

Where is this being held at? What about booth sizes? Maybe I missed it, but will power be available on Saturday?

Thanks

#6 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

View PostPeter Lent, on 28 April 2011 - 06:25 AM, said:

Henry,

Where is this being held at? What about booth sizes? Maybe I missed it, but will power be available on Saturday?

Thanks

Booth size for BBQ teams - up to 40 x 20... Event will be held at Elsinore High School in Wildomar (Bundy Exit off I-15).. Bring your own power. BBQ teams and vendors may set up the evening of 1st, or on Saturday am from 7am-9am.. event starts at 11am-8pm...

#7 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

Here is the entry form

Edited by Henry Silvestre, 29 April 2011 - 11:10 AM.

#8 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

CBJ's confirmed for this event so far...

Joseph Miles

Dennis Smith

Abel Tirre

Anna.

Remember this is not a sanctioned event.. and judges will actually judge your Ribs (Pork and Beef) as well as your anything Butt at your cook site.. Judging taste and tenderness live and offering you feedback as well.. I consider July the 1/2 way point of the BBQ yr.. (I have at least 4 more events planned ALL Sanctioned KCBS and ALL will apply for CBBQA TOY after this event)... Also if you are a team that is thinking about competing in 2012 as a rookie team and don't want to loose your rookie status, this is the perfect event for you as it does not count against you, yet you get to compete against some of the better Rib teams in SoCal... Expected attendance is 3,000+ so PC should also be a good money generator for teams, you can PC anything you want, not just ribs... Lets have some fun...

#9 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

Things are heating up, as a couple of national restaurant chains are now participating in the Ribfest.. Only 20 Days left for EARLY BIRD registration, with no other events anywhere in the Temecula Valley schedueled for this date, Rib Fest should draw Huge crowds.. Better yet, get instant feedback and live judging by cbj's on the spot to improve your BBQ for the stretch run...Who thinks they have the best ribs out there? Here is your chance to prove it!

#10 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

18 days left for Early Bird entry on this one... Who is Next?

#11 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

How many teams are registered right now?

#12 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

View PostPeter Lent, on 13 May 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

How many teams are registered right now?

Only Lucielle's so far... This is a great opportunity for local teams to make some extra cash.. I see about 5 regular BBQ circuit teams joining this Ribfest.. with 15 or so restaurants and weekend warriors rounding off the field.. With expected attendance of 3,000+ the demand for PC/and vending will be hard to meet with only 5 of you knowing what's up.. I can see the big restaurant's like Lucielle's being able to keep up, but the weekend warriors will run out of product within an hour..

#13 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

How does the PC work? Tickets like your normal comps? What is the ticket cost and the split? Interested, but need to make sure it is worth while.

Thanks Henry!

#14 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

View PostPeter Lent, on 15 May 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

How does the PC work? Tickets like your normal comps? What is the ticket cost and the split? Interested, but need to make sure it is worth while.

Thanks Henry!

you may PC anything you like.. Tickets are $1 a piece to cooks.. It is a free admission event, so we will be charging 8 tickets for $20 (fundraiser for Rotary), selling Beer and Wine at 2 tickets each; H20 at 1 ticket each, BBQ tastings, and jumpies for kids 2 tickets all day access .. You may sell any PC stuff you like ABT's, Pulled pork, ribs etc.. Just make up a sign that has your costs.. ie - 2oz BBQ Pork - 1 ticket, ABT 1 ticket, Pork Ribs 2 for 3 tickets, Beef Ribs 1 for 2 Tickets.. etc.. BBQ teams can also be full vendors - Pay the Entry Fee + vending fee ($299 total) and you may sell anything you like (BBQ) for cash and/or PC tickets, plus participate in the contest.. Ie - Tri-tip or Pulled Pork Sandwiches $6, 2oz pulled pork sample- 1 ticket, Full Rack of Ribs with BBQ Beans- $20, etc. etc.. I am experimenting with a few things here, as people always ask (past contest) if they can get full BBQ platers, or BBQ in to go containers.. why not... a good BBQ team like yours should be walking away with $1,500 + in prize $$ and BBQ PC alone.. if you vend, you could easily top $2,000 with the amount of people vs BBQ'ers who know how to compete, and PC...

#15 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

View PostPeter Lent, on 15 May 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

Thanks Henry!

I think a team like Meat Inc.. ABT's can sell 800+ of these alone, plus probably win at least 10-20% of the prize $$ ($250-$500)minimum and if vending (say tritip sandwiches) 50 x $6 = $300 -- Being conservative-- ($1350-$1,600) without much effort.. Teams that plan better, (supply of food) should be able to do between 500-1000+ in PC alone.. if vending I would hope (besideds PC) a team should be able to sell 50 of whatever it wants (more likely 100-200)..

#16 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Henry, that helps alot. Doing PC with just ribs alone @ $1.00 (1 ticket) each barely covers the cost of the ribs.

I will let you know this week.

Pete

#17 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Only ONE team registered... Someone is taking home $2,500 without much challenge... Come on guys lets get at least 5-10 pro teams out here... 5 Days Left on early bird!! Who is Next?

#18 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Pete's Firehouse BBQ is in full force for this event!!!!

#19 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:BBQ
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

View PostPeter Lent, on 27 May 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

Pete's Firehouse BBQ is in full force for this event!!!!

Does that mean the wet tee-shirt hose will be in operation?

#20 Peter Lent

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

Of course, just for you Andy!!!!!

View PostAndrew Soto, on 27 May 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Does that mean the wet tee-shirt hose will be in operation?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users