Placerville Wagon Train BBQ Rib Cook-Off

16 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Christensen

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: Placerville Wagon Train BBQ Rib Cook-Off

#2 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

Robert, do you have anything to do with this event? I have sent an Email to the Placerville org. for time line clarification.

Mark

#3 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

Mark just try to give Lisa a call about your questions.

I'm sure she can find out for you.

#4 Kyle Neeser

New to this forum

• 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

Just to let you know I meet with Lisa today and trying to help her out with the timing of all this. One of the problems is that there is only a window of time that she is able to close main street down. I know that this will be a bit of a challange for all of us but I am sure that the next event that Downtown Placerville trys to have like this will encounter a lot less hertals to over come. Please support her and Downtown Placerville in this as its also a chance to try and keep some of the town history alive ( The Wagon Train). Thanks to all of you and look forward to every body making it up for a day of supporting history and keeping small town America alive.

#5 Dave & Deny Bart

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:waterskiing, snowskiing, camping, cooking, wine tasting, and just plain enjoying life!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

If you can't start setting up until 11:00, that pretty much means park, fire up cooker, and hope your ribs are ready for turn-in with only a 4 1/2 hour window. If that is what I am reading, given the time it actually takes to set up, fire up the cooker and bring it up to temp, I just can't see how that constricted time frame is going to work.

#6 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

Bummer that this fun and historical event is on the same day as the Winchester Business Association Barbecue Cook-off STATE CHAMPIONSHIP, a KCBS sanctioned event in San Jose. :(

#7 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

Got an Email from Lisa yesterday. She says details will be forthcoming. I am familiar with Placerville, having had a place in Pollock Pines for several years. If the teams could set up off the street before street closure I think the timing could work. There is that little side st by the bell tower and adjacent to the parking garage? The comp turn in is 3:30 I believe but the vending should start when the folks are hungry around noon. Of course we could all do a 500 degree burn.

Mark

#8 Dave & Deny Bart

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:waterskiing, snowskiing, camping, cooking, wine tasting, and just plain enjoying life!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

View Postmark evenson, on 17 March 2011 - 07:13 AM, said:

Of course we could all do a 500 degree burn.
I like it, hot and fast :hyper:

#9 Lisa Crummett (Placerville Downtown Assn)

New to this forum

• 11 posts
  • Interests:Bringing visitors to Historic Main Street in Placerville!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your interest in this event that is new to our organization and Main Street in Placerville!

I have met with Kyle from High Sierra BBQ and he is helping us work through the time issues. But I will have to get the okay from our merchants about closing the street earlier and we may not have that answer until the next general meeting on April 7th.

I will revise the info for now, add the application to OUR website (hopefully by Monday or Tuesday next week) and then hold all applications and checks until AFTER that decision. We will return applications/checks if we cannot fix the timing, but I think we should be able to get you in earlier. Thanks for your patience and understanding. We are only taking 20 teams (10ft x 20 ft spaces).

Lisa Crummett
Placerville Downtown Assn
www.placervilledowntown.org

#10 Lisa Crummett (Placerville Downtown Assn)

New to this forum

• 11 posts
  • Interests:Bringing visitors to Historic Main Street in Placerville!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

Oops - had a typo in the last message from us.

Our website is www.placervilledowntown.com

or www.placerville-downtown.org

Thx!
Lisa Crummett

#11 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

View PostLisa Crummett (Placerville Downtown Assn), on 17 March 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

Oops - had a typo in the last message from us.

Our website is www.placervilledowntown.com

or www.placerville-downtown.org

Thx!
Lisa Crummett

Lisa, thank you for coming here. My team for one is interested. And will be looking for the entry application. Placerville is a wonderful community and we wish you all the best in this and all your ventures.

Mark

#12 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

View PostDave & Deny Bart, on 17 March 2011 - 07:31 AM, said:

I like it, hot and fast :hyper:

Not surprised:)

#13 Pat Kennealy

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

View PostDave & Deny Bart, on 16 March 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

If you can't start setting up until 11:00, that pretty much means park, fire up cooker, and hope your ribs are ready for turn-in with only a 4 1/2 hour window. If that is what I am reading, given the time it actually takes to set up, fire up the cooker and bring it up to temp, I just can't see how that constricted time frame is going to work.

LOL.....Yea, Sean and I tried that exact same scenario at Ric's, didn't work at all, was at least two hours shy of done :rolleyes2:

#14 Dave & Deny Bart

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

View PostPat Kennealy, on 17 March 2011 - 06:51 PM, said:

LOL.....Yea, Sean and I tried that exact same scenario at Ric's, didn't work at all, was at least two hours shy of done :rolleyes2:
At least at this comp everyone would be in the same boat. Underdone ribs or burnt crisp :dribble:.

#15 Dave & Deny Bart

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

View PostBill Bain, on 17 March 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

Not surprised:)
Yes indeed Bill. Come on, you know you want to take a walk on the dark side :shiftyninja:.

#16 Chadwick Troyer

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Rednecks and Ribs. Now Pirates, Pigs and Poultry

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

View PostLisa Crummett (Placerville Downtown Assn), on 17 March 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your interest in this event that is new to our organization and Main Street in Placerville!

I have met with Kyle from High Sierra BBQ and he is helping us work through the time issues. But I will have to get the okay from our merchants about closing the street earlier and we may not have that answer until the next general meeting on April 7th.

I will revise the info for now, add the application to OUR website (hopefully by Monday or Tuesday next week) and then hold all applications and checks until AFTER that decision. We will return applications/checks if we cannot fix the timing, but I think we should be able to get you in earlier. Thanks for your patience and understanding. We are only taking 20 teams (10ft x 20 ft spaces).

Lisa Crummett
www.placervilledowntown.org

Ok, I have been working with Lisa a little, and it looks like we will have several changes to mostly everything so I will do my best to fill you in.

1. Teams can now arrive around 5:00 a.m. to set up. They will shut down one side of the street for us then and will shut down the other side at 11 a.m.
2. Turn in times for ribs is 12 p.m.
3. Prize money will be based on the amount of teams
4. Sample vending will return 75% to the teams
5. Ribs of course for sampling but you can cook chicken to vend also. Only ribs will be judged.
6. They have local people to judge (non CBJ's) but we need a CBJ as head judge so there is some sort of reasonable tasting going on. Lisa says she will offer up two Brewfest tickets (Placerville event that sells out every year $60 value) to the first CBJ to contact her (PM me and I will give you her number).

That's about it for now. If I left anything out, I am sure I will hear about it. Lisa plans on having the applications updated within the next day or so to reflect the changes. She will update the Wiki page also.

#17 scott gomes

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

Congrats to Doug McCaffrey and Pigs Can Fly BBQ for winning the 1st annual Wagon Train Rib cook-Off, with 2nd going to Big Shot BBQ and a 3rd place finish for West Coast BBQ What a great venue for a contest with the historic Wagon train rolling through old town placerville, gun fighters shooting it out in the street and lots and lots and lots of people, the teams had no problem vending their product to the large crowd, this is a event you really want to check out next year.I would like to also thank lisa Crummett and the Placerville downtown assoc for putting on this great BBQ event,and allowing the Northern Ca BBQ teams to show off their BBQ Skills and am i am already looking forward to next year.

Complete results and scores are posted on the wiki page.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users