WoW Stockton Turn In Times - What Do YOU Want?

53 replies to this topic

Poll: WoW Stockton Turn In Times - What Do YOU Want? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like the turn in schedule to be?

1. Standard 30 Min Schedule (Chicken/Ribs/Pork/Brisket) (11 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

2. PNWBA 30 Min Schedule (Pork/Brisket/Chicken/Ribs) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Standard 45 Min Schedule (Chicken/Ribs/Pork/Brisket) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. PNWBA 45 Min Schedule (Pork/Brisket/Chicken/Ribs) (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

5. Standard 60 Min Schedule (Chicken/Ribs/Pork/Brisket) (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

6. PNWBA 60 Min Schedule (Pork/Brisket/Chicken/Ribs) (13 votes [40.62%])

Percentage of vote: 40.62%

7. Other (Discuss Below) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Christene James

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:52 AM

WOW website http://www.wayoutwestbbq.com/

#42 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

So we will be going with the full rules and program set up by the PNWBA.

Here is the turn in order:

11:00 am Pork
12:00 pm Brisket
1:00 pm Chicken
2:00 pm Ribs

I would suggest to all cooks to take a look at your cooking times for each meat and begin to figure out a schedule and write it down. I know that I normally start my butts arouond 12:00 am for a 12:30 pm turn in. In this case, I will start my butts at 10:30 to adjust for the different turn in time. I was playing with this a bit last night and found it to be quite an interesting challange. I have been cooking the same way for over a decade and old habits are hard to change but I am ready for a new game, and the more I got into this, the more I liked it.

#43 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Ric. I've been wanting the times so I can print up a new time table.

#44 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

This is going to cause me to have to adjust all of my cooking times for every meat and adjust my process accordingly.

Cool! :good:

#45 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

I voted for the one-hour turn ins. We will be doing PC.

#46 David Schmidt

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 10 May 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

This is going to cause me to have to adjust all of my cooking times for every meat and adjust my process accordingly.

Cool! :good:

Adam,

I'm pretty certain you may not be the only team in that boat. ;)

Congratulations on a stellar finish in MH, BTW

#47 Adam Hollman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Thanks David! I am pretty sure it was because we were in the site next to you! (or was that despite the fact...) ;)

#48 David Schmidt

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 10 May 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

Thanks David! I am pretty sure it was because we were in the site next to you! (or was that despite the fact...) ;)

I'd have to say you overcame your environment

#49 Adam Hollman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

LOL :lol:

#50 Mark Brown

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

Nice thing about being a rookie and this being our second competition. We have no schedule!!!! We are just happy we are there and try to cook our best and fix things from the Morgan Hill comp. So at this point, every contest is a new experience. Morgan Hill (KCBS turn in times), WOW (PNWBA turn in times), WBA (KCBS turn in times), Bay Area Championships (IBCA turn in times) and the Masonic BBQ Cook off ( made up turn in times). So if anyone sees a member of the Wine With Swine team wondering around with a turn in box like a jew in the dessert, have no fear.... we are just learning

#51 John Hunt

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

I've been there and done that. While I have some issues with the meat order: the turn in times are great because: Only one box is presented at a time so there is no comparing to the last ones the judges saw. The judges score for appearance and then do the taste and tenderness scoring, when they are finished another box is done the same way. That's why the one hour turn in times are so important. It really gives the cooks a better chance for good scores because the judges aren't rushed. you also get more comment cards back because the judges have a little more time to write the comment cards. Just my two cents worth.

#52 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,184 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thanks John for that insight

#53 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

View PostJohn Hunt, on 10 May 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

I've been there and done that. While I have some issues with the meat order: the turn in times are great because: Only one box is presented at a time so there is no comparing to the last ones the judges saw. The judges score for appearance and then do the taste and tenderness scoring, when they are finished another box is done the same way. That's why the one hour turn in times are so important. It really gives the cooks a better chance for good scores because the judges aren't rushed. you also get more comment cards back because the judges have a little more time to write the comment cards. Just my two cents worth.
I was in Florence about a year ago, first time. Really liked it. Stayed in a little house 100 yards from the beach. Plan on going back. thanks for yourcomments John, this is a first for 97% of us. Any little tid bits of info you can share would be great.

ric

#54 John Hunt

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

You can do it on the turn in times. Just get your cooking times down in writing and follow your game plan. Also, the 1-10 scoring almost virtually eliminates a tied score.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users