14 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Link to the PNWBA Rules - http://www.pnwba.com/rules_page.htm

Expect representatives of PNWBA to join in and answer any questions you may have.

#2 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

Look ma - no Cilantro!

#3 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

What are the typical turn in times for a PNWBA event? I heard they were more "forgiving", but the rules don't directly support this.

#4 Christene James

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 02 March 2011 - 03:04 PM, said:

What are the typical turn in times for a PNWBA event? I heard they were more "forgiving", but the rules don't directly support this.

#5 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,114 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

:) Pacific Western Barbeque Association

#6 Christene James

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Adam,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Christene James and I am a Master Judge for the PNWBA (Pacific Northwest Barbecue Association) and also part of a Cooking Team: Raven's Fyre BBQ with my husband Anthony. I will be the Head Judge / Contest Rep for the WOW contest in Stockton.

The PNWBA generally does 1 hour turn-ins and in a different order from KCBS (we do Pork, Brisket, Chicken, Ribs). We have a 10 minute window from 5 minutes to the hour up to 4 mins and 59 secs after that hour. We are strict for that time window.

But with that said I believe we have decided to go ahead with 1/2 hour turn-ins and normal KCBS order but keep a watch as as we finalize details of the event with Ric and Ben.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have either here or if you like you can send me email direct deena7769@gmail.com.

I'm looking forward to coming down for this great event!

Christene

Edited by deena77, 02 March 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#7 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

Christine,

It is good to hear the PNWBA will get it's first chance to show how good they run contests. I was very impressed in Langley by your efficency and all the help you gave the teams. I do have a question that may affect your decision to go with shorter turn-in times.

How will the 1/2 hour turn in times work with the style of judging one box at a time per table? From my one contest experience, I really like the one box at a time method of judging. Just curious if it can work in 1/2 hour. Of course, if you have enough judging tables, it is possible.

Benny

#8 Christene James

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

Yes it will be important that we make sure we have plenty of judges and table captains. We do occasionally do 1/2 turn ins, in particular we do this in Stevensville, MT every year. The one box at a time doesn't really take any more time. 1/2 turn ins just means that judges sit and judge for 2 hours straight. What we like about 1 hour turn ins up here is that judges actually get breaks between food turn ins. We also do alot of sampling and teams interacting with the public at our events so 1 hour turn ins spread the time out more. better for the sponsor and gives smaller teams time to sample.

Christene

#9 Adam Hollman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hi Christene,

Thank you for answering my question. For the record, I am not necessarily saying I am in favor of 1/2 hour turn ins, I was just wondering what was typical for PNWBA contests. I do think that if we do 1/2 hour turns then the order needs to be KCBS style with chicken first. Doing chicken third at 1/2 intervals would be tough. But then again, a challenge is always good.

Anyway, just wanted to make the point that you don't have to change things just for us. I am sure we can all adapt to the very small differences. In fact a little change might be a nice change of pace.

Thanks again for answering our questions. I am sure many more will come up as we approach "game time"!

Edited by Adam Hollman, 02 March 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#10 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

View Postdeena77, on 02 March 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

... But with that said I believe we have decided to go ahead with 1/2 hour turn-ins and normal KCBS order but keep a watch as as we finalize details of the event with Ric and Ben...
Thanks Christene Ric and Ben. I don't like 1-hour turn-ins either - except for WOW.

I will be flying solo for WOW so please be peaches and keep the 1-hour turn-ins??? That will make my life easier (an admirable objective :thumbsup: )

#11 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

OK teams, here is one of the wonderful aspects of our new sanctioning body...we have imput!!!

I'm hearing that some of our teams might want to change up the standard 1/2 hour turn-in. Here is your chance to help shape this contest and have your voice heard. Anyone know how to do one of those poll thingy's? Ben is busy today and you all know I'm a computer idiot. How about a poll asking for preferences 30-45-60 min turn-ins? Remember to keep in mind some of us will be doing PC and that can create BIG problems if you are still turning in both for your team and the public. Let's hear your voice on this.

#12 Adam Hollman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

View PostRic Gilbert, on 03 March 2011 - 07:16 AM, said:

OK teams, here is one of the wonderful aspects of our new sanctioning body...we have imput!!!

I'm hearing that some of our teams might want to change up the standard 1/2 hour turn-in. Here is your chance to help shape this contest and have your voice heard. Anyone know how to do one of those poll thingy's? Ben is busy today and you all know I'm a computer idiot. How about a poll asking for preferences 30-45-60 min turn-ins? Remember to keep in mind some of us will be doing PC and that can create BIG problems if you are still turning in both for your team and the public. Let's hear your voice on this.

Done! We don't need Ben for this! :D

#13 Brian Moriarty

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

Please take a few minutes to review the newly adopted 2012 PNWBA Cooks Rules, Scoring System and Code of Conduct approved by the membership.

#14 Christene James

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Thanks Brian.. you are awake awfully early in the morning!!

#15 Brian Moriarty

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

View PostChristene James, on 13 March 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

Thanks Brian.. you are awake awfully early in the morning!!

Back on the Graveyard shift!

http://www.pnwba.com/documents/2012/CooksRules2012.pdf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users