105 replies to this topic

#1 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hello CABBQ Members,

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself and the Bay Area BBQ Championship, an IBCA event hosted by Alternative Family Services(AFS)www.afs4kids.org and supported by the Oakland A's and the Oakland Chamber of Commerce. Kelly McIntosh from IBCA has been gracious enough to work with us in planning this event for the past six months. We started laying the foundation for this event last July after I volunteered at the Wild West competition in Santa Maria. This is a new event for us and we think we have put together a fun and unique event which will benefit Northern CA foster children and families. The preliminary judges will be made up of our community partners and the final judges will be comprised of local "celebrity" figures (including food critics, chefs, athletes, entertainers, etc.) A live stage show will include entertainment and a seperate live BBQ Throwdown (seperate from the IBCA cook-off). The event will be held Saturday July 16th prior to the A's double header against the Los Angeles Angels in the Coliseum parking lot. The Oakland A's have been involved in every step of planning this event to make sure the event runs efficiently.

We are pending State Championship and ToY status. I expect to have all event related materials including team registration, website, flyer, etc. completed next week but I am ready for all your questions and input so feel free to contact me.

Thank you and we look forward to working with the CBBQA!

Sincerely,
Jennifer Harper, M.A., M.B.A.
Director of Development and Marketing (and Event Organizer)
Alternative Family Services
jharper@afs4kids.org, (510)759-1271

#2 Richard Holguin

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:49er football, Christian Music & Quality time with family and friends

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Great cause.Okland As.35mins from home.Count us in.

#3 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

View Postmoilanen17, on 19 January 2011 - 04:36 PM, said:

Hello CABBQ Members,

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself and the Bay Area BBQ Championship, an IBCA event hosted by Alternative Family Services(AFS)www.afs4kids.org and supported by the Oakland A's and the Oakland Chamber of Commerce. Kelly McIntosh from IBCA has been gracious enough to work with us in planning this event for the past six months. We started laying the foundation for this event last July after I volunteered at the Wild West competition in Santa Maria. This is a new event for us and we think we have put together a fun and unique event which will benefit Northern CA foster children and families. The preliminary judges will be made up of our community partners and the final judges will be comprised of local "celebrity" figures (including food critics, chefs, athletes, entertainers, etc.) A live stage show will include entertainment and a seperate live BBQ Throwdown (seperate from the IBCA cook-off). The event will be held Saturday July 16th prior to the A's double header against the Los Angeles Angels in the Coliseum parking lot. The Oakland A's have been involved in every step of planning this event to make sure the event runs efficiently.

We are pending State Championship and ToY status. I expect to have all event related materials including team registration, website, flyer, etc. completed next week but I am ready for all your questions and input so feel free to contact me.

Thank you and we look forward to working with the CBBQA!

Sincerely,
Jennifer Harper, M.A., M.B.A.
Director of Development and Marketing (and Event Organizer)
Alternative Family Services
jharper@afs4kids.org, (510)759-1271

Keep us posted, let me know if you need a CBJ

#4 Ric Gilbert

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

View PostBill Bain, on 19 January 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

Keep us posted, let me know if you need a CBJ
Bill it is my understanding the IBCA events rarely use CBJ's, I wish they would take another look at that, hint, hint. What you typically see are people selected from the crowds and/or celebrity judges. Given the judging profile I change the way I cook. I beleive the judge selection is at the discretion of the promoter so maybe with a little sweet talking? It is my opinion that the IBCA events could really benefit by using more trained and experienced judges.

ric

#5 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,133 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Yes Ric I love to use the trained folks on the final table
and untrained on the prelim That is how I have been doing
Hesperia.

#6 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hi Ric and Bill,

We are open to having some CBJ's judge in the final categories, I understand the importance of having CBJ's at the final judging tables, especially since this will be a ToY event (and hopefully a State Championship). While the Bay Area BBQ Championship is a benefit for foster kids, we really want to take this opportunity to showcase competitive BBQ and provide a great competitive environment for the teams. Please contact me directly to talk about your judgeship further.

Thanks,
Jennifer
(510)759-1271, jharper@afs4kids.org

View PostRic Gilbert, on 20 January 2011 - 09:36 AM, said:

Bill it is my understanding the IBCA events rarely use CBJ's, I wish they would take another look at that, hint, hint. What you typically see are people selected from the crowds and/or celebrity judges. Given the judging profile I change the way I cook. I beleive the judge selection is at the discretion of the promoter so maybe with a little sweet talking? It is my opinion that the IBCA events could really benefit by using more trained and experienced judges.

ric

#7 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

View Postmoilanen17, on 23 January 2011 - 11:08 PM, said:

Hi Ric and Bill,

We are open to having some CBJ's judge in the final categories, I understand the importance of having CBJ's at the final judging tables, especially since this will be a ToY event (and hopefully a State Championship). While the Bay Area BBQ Championship is a benefit for foster kids, we really want to take this opportunity to showcase competitive BBQ and provide a great competitive environment for the teams. Please contact me directly to talk about your judgeship further.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer, I sent you an e-mail.

#8 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

View PostBill Bain, on 24 January 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

Jennifer, I sent you an e-mail.

I wss able to secure a judging seat. This is for a really good cause, I serve on the board of a similar organization in Sacramento. Whatever we can do to help kids and also cook or help is a blessing. They are looking for teams, judges and helpers. Jennifer can be reached at Jharper@alternativefamilyservices.org and www.afs4kids.org
is the website for the organization.

July 16th

#9 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

View Postmoilanen17, on 23 January 2011 - 11:08 PM, said:

Hi Ric and Bill,

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer,
It was nice chatting with you yesterday. Glad to be able to help in any way I can, as mentioned in my email.

Looking forward to judging.

See you soon,
:wave:

#10 Jennifer Harper

Forum Irregular

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hi Tracy,

I want to be sure you received the information I sent last night. I did not receive the e-mail you mentioned so I want to make sure you got mine. Would you mind resending - thanks!
Jennifer
jharper@afs4kids.org or jennifermoilanen@yahoo.com

View PostTracy Allen, on 02 February 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

Jennifer,
It was nice chatting with you yesterday. Glad to be able to help in any way I can, as mentioned in my email.

Looking forward to judging.

See you soon,
:wave:

#11 Kevin Davis

Hello

• CBBQA Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: 1st Annual Bay Area BBQ Championship

#12 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

Info to follow, I assume?

Mark

#13 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

yep, just getting started...

#14 Ric Gilbert

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

Does anyone know what it would cost and where one can purchase a 2 day general liability policy that also covers food vending?

#15 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostRic Gilbert, on 10 February 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

Does anyone know what it would cost and where one can purchase a 2 day general liability policy that also covers food vending?

Call your personal lines (your homeowners and auto) agent, he may be able to do it, otherwise check with an independent agent in your area or call a local Farmer's agent or State Farm agent. Premium should be pretty low and in fact you might be better off getting one for a year since it will probably be the same price. Most carriers have a minimum premium and this would qualify so you need to find the lowest min. in your area.

#16 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

Ric, does this question by you imply the need for such coverage in Oakland and for this event?

MArk

#17 Rick Renaud

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Ric,
We get ours thru the same co that does our catering company insurance. They also do our cars and home. I am not sure I can say that it is State Farm.

#18 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

View PostRick Renaud, on 10 February 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

Ric,
We get ours thru the same co that does our catering company insurance. They also do our cars and home. I am not sure I can say that it is State Farm.

Don't worry, it's not a class! LOL.

#19 Rick Renaud

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

View PostBill Bain, on 10 February 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

Don't worry, it's not a class! LOL.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha .....Good one Bill.... Ha Ha Ha.....

#20 Ric Gilbert

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

View PostBill Bain, on 10 February 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

Call your personal lines (your homeowners and auto) agent, he may be able to do it, otherwise check with an independent agent in your area or call a local Farmer's agent or State Farm agent. Premium should be pretty low and in fact you might be better off getting one for a year since it will probably be the same price. Most carriers have a minimum premium and this would qualify so you need to find the lowest min. in your area.

Thanks Bill.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users