2011 CBBQA Rookie Team of the Year

153 replies to this topic

#1 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

The rookies have started registering and we're looking forward to a great rookie pool for 2011.

If you are a new team this year contact me to join the 2011 Rookie of the Year race. Please note that if you do not register as a rookie before competing in your first sanctioned professional-level competition you will no longer be eligible to qualify as a rookie.

See the 2011 ToY rules here for rookie eligibility requirements: 2011 ToY Rules

2011 Rookie Teams
1 - Creole Clyde's Smokin' BBQ
2 - Knock UR Sox Off BBQ
3 - Huminie's Hogalicious BBQ
4 - Butcher's Daughter BBQ
5 - Mark's Kitchen & Smokin BBQ
6 - Starvin Marvins BBQ
7 - iseeredpeople
8 - Old Man and the Pig
9 - Big Matchu's BBQ
10 - Souza's Slammin Slaughter BBQ
11 - Wine with Swine
12 - Dead Pig Walking
13 - Who's Smokin Now
14 - Satisfied Hogs
15 - Big Aces BBQ
16 - Jump In The Fire BBQ
17 - Bar JH B-B-Q
18 - JD's BBQ
19 - Pig Pimp'n BBQ
20 - Smokin Mo's
21 - Smoke, Rubs and Rock N' Roll

Past RoY Winners
2010 - Left Coast Q
2009 - Brazen BBQ
2008 - Slap Yo' Daddy
2007 - Rhythm 'n QUE & The Smokepranos

Who's it gonna be in 2011?

Edited by John Bracamonte, 21 March 2011 - 04:09 PM.

#2 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Are you going to start competing for the first time this year?

If so, post up and let us know who you are and what your plans are.

I'll start!

I plan on trying my hand at some competitions this year for the first time. My team name is Huminie's Hogalicious BBQ.

I have been BBQing for years in my backyard and I have some friends who compete who have been urging me to start competing for quite a while. Last June I cooked up a brisket and pulled pork feast for my daughter's high school graduation party and fed about 70 guests (and cooked enough for many more). That was the moment I thought to myself that I should try my hand at competing. I started doing some research and found this site. I then learned of an upcoming contest in Stockton a few weeks away and made plans to attend. Ben and Ric were very friendly and helpful and made me feel welcome. I got to talk to many of the teams and best of all helped out in the judging tent during turn ins and judging. It was all over then. :punk:

I started practicing presentation, cooking times, flavor profiles. I also decided to attend another contest, this time looking for a team to help. Ric took me under his wing and showed me just about everything he did in competition. My wife even made his turn in boxes, and he "let me" cook breakfast for the team. :laugh:

By this point I had most of the items needed to compete available to me and I signed up for a rib cookoff in Redding. This was my first time doing any sort of contest on my own. I got a chance to set up my site, and take a swing at turning in product to the judges. I had every step of my process written down on a white board with the exact time it needed to happen to make sure I didn't miss a step. I made a fairly crucial mental error, but overall was pleased with my performance and placed 9th out of 43 teams. I was very happy with a top 10 finish my first time out. :good:

Next, I made a trip out to Kansas City to take in the American Royal. I got to meet a ton of great BBQ folks and see how the world's largest BBQ contest was run. I got to visit with some friends who competed and see how they do things.

In early December I purchased a Backwoods Fatboy smoker and since then I have been working to learn it and figure out my timing with it.

I plan to compete in several contests in central and northern California this year, including Ric's Backyard BBQ Championship, Morgan Hill and Stockton. Going further afield will depend on finances and how well I am doing.

Looking forward to a fun season of cooking and meeting lots of new friends! Can't wait to get started! :frantics:

#3 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

Welcome Adam. The practice that you've been doing I'm sure will pay off, I know you've been waiting on the sideline for 2011 so good luck this year! I'll send you a message to get you all set up and listed as a rookie.

Who else is gonna join the rookie pool?

#4 Tom Moore

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

T&J's Frontyard BBQ. Thank you

#5 Tom Moore

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

OK...Geeeeze I was kidding!!

#6 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,412 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Your front yard aint big enough

#7 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

View PostTom Moore, on 20 January 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

T&J's Frontyard BBQ. Thank you

Let me guess, head cook is Jeanne?

#8 Donna Fong

CBBQA Hall of Fame, Inducted 2015

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Well boyz, you might as well add my name to the rookie list. Team name is Butcher's Daughter BBQ from Alameda, CA. I'm not that far from Adam and I'm sorry that we didn't run into each other while at the Royal this year. I was there as a judge on both days and even had the chance to participate in the 5k race which was really, really fun after eating four meats, dessert, potatoes, vegetable and beans. I've been a certified judge since 2004 and have judged around 20 contests thus far. Hopefully someday I'll become a master judge like Ben Lobenstein, our local celebrity judge.

I'm still pretty new to cooking and got started on the idea when my husband and I separated a few years ago and I didn't get the smoker. Damn! He took the smoker and the cooking skills(Paul Kirk class) so I had to learn how to smoke on my own. So be it. I took the class in Anaheim in 2009 and met some really inspirational & fun cooks and students. Without much of an income, I decided to get the cheapest cookers I could, which ended up being WSMs so that's what I cook with, though I spent a lot of time at the Royal staring lustily at the vertical water smokers, which are way out of my price range. I've signed up to cook at Wildomar in March. I'll try to keep my mind on BBQ when I'm there and off the 2nd/3rd round of March Madness, though if someone has a tv, I wouldn't mind cheering on my often decimated bracket. I look forward to meeting those of you in Wildomar.

#9 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

D-Fong,

Welcome to the world of competition BBQ on "this side of the fence".

Only WSM's? When was the last time any team took CBBQA Team of the Year without WSM's?

You doing the mini van as well? LOL

Good luck, see you in Casa De Fruta in March.

Edited by Darry Smith, 21 January 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#10 Donna Fong

CBBQA Hall of Fame, Inducted 2015

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Who needs a minivan for god's sake? I got this all worked out. I have a pirated 2011 version of AutoCAD BBQ 3D from Autodesk. I've mathematically modeled my WSMs, cambro, folding tables, 10x10 canopy and bins and if you make special considerations for my 2005 Toyota Avalon interior layout, everything I plan to bring to the contest actually fits very nicely. The only drawback is that I have to drive with my sunroof and trunk open. It shouldn't be a problem.

#11 Tracy Allen

Business Membership Coordinator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

View PostDonna Fong, on 21 January 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

Who needs a minivan for god's sake? I got this all worked out. I have a pirated 2011 version of AutoCAD BBQ 3D from Autodesk. I've mathematically modeled my WSMs, cambro, folding tables, 10x10 canopy and bins and if you make special considerations for my 2005 Toyota Avalon interior layout, everything I plan to bring to the contest actually fits very nicely. The only drawback is that I have to drive with my sunroof and trunk open. It shouldn't be a problem.
Now that's the Donna I know.
Calculating, determined, and always willing to make anything work!
YOU GO GIRL!
Can't wait to share our first beer, in YOUR pit... after the contest, of course! Oh, I'm buying!
:beer:

#12 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

OK, I read the rules, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin BBQ has submitted a request to compete in 2011 as a Rookie team.At our 1st event, Ric's, I will be joined by Mac and Steve, perhaps their wives and mine. We look forward to a fun year and meeting lots of fellow BBQ enthusiast. Future plans include Morgan Hill, Placerville, Cameron Park, Clearlake, Oakland A's, If we find that pot o' gold maybe more.

Good luck this year to all the Rookie teams and to all who compete.

Keep' Smokin' until then! :clapping:

Mark

#13 Eric Larson

• 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

I am a new member that will be competing for the first time in 2011. Competing has crossed my mind on many occasions, so figured I better "get busy living, or get busy dying"! I'm an avid Chiefs fan, so all of you Raider and Charger fans that are judges, please do not hold it against me. I am hoping to compete in the next local event in Southern California? Is that the June event at the Orannge County Fairgrounds?
I am new to competition, but have fun cooking for neighbors and friends any chance I get. As I look through your results and postings, it looks like I will be learning from some seasoned veterans. Any help will be appreciated. I have a few recruits that have signed on for this campaign to compete and I am sure our journey to reach the top will be "low and slow"'.
Iseeredpeople

#14 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

Welcome to the latest set of rookies. I've sent a few of you pm's to finalize getting you set up. Once I hear back I'll get you on the list.

Iseeredpeople: The first SoCal event this year is Wildomar in March. You can find the event link here: The Ultimate BBQ Showdown East vs. West II

Edited by John Bracamonte, 22 January 2011 - 09:12 AM.

#15 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

View Postmark evenson, on 22 January 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

OK, I read the rules, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin BBQ has submitted a request to compete in 2011 as a Rookie team.At our 1st event, Ric's, I will be joined by Mac and Steve, perhaps their wives and mine. We look forward to a fun year and meeting lots of fellow BBQ enthusiast. Future plans include Morgan Hill, Placerville, Cameron Park, Clearlake, Oakland A's, If we find that pot o' gold maybe more.

Good luck this year to all the Rookie teams and to all who compete.

Keep' Smokin' until then! :clapping:

Mark
Hey Mark,

You did notice that the Oakland A's event is IBCA not KCBS....? This was just pointed out to me the other night :cool:

#16 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

Ya, I noticed. I am thinking about the PC, could make millions!!!!!!!

Mark :frantics:

#17 Tracy Allen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

View Postmark evenson, on 23 January 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

Ya, I noticed. I am thinking about the PC, could make millions!!!!!!!

Mark :frantics:
Well... it all depends on where, when, and how the PC is staged. I've already put a lot of thought into this event, as I'm a huge A's fan, and a very long time season ticket holder. Anyway, it's an unheardof double header that day, and getting an audience, foot traffic for PC, may be a bit tricky in conjunction with typical turn in times for a contest. I'm optimistic that the organizers have this all planned out. Looking forward to it myself! I already have my game tickets, and can't wait to share the day with a competition bbq as well as an A's vs LAA double header!

#18 Ryan Moore

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

I am Ryan and my wife is Kim, we are from Fontana, CA and we are Knock UR Sox Off BBQ. We are definitely looking forward to this years BBQ circuit, and we are really excited about what the future holds for us in the world of BBQ, and hope that we get to meet some really great people, as all of you are. Our first competition this year is at HAVABBQ, and we are excited about getting into the majority of the California events, and Arizona events. We just purchased our first home so we are trying to be very careful with the events we enter since money is kind of tight. Good Luck to all the new teams and seasoned teams and we look forward to meeting all of you. :wave:

#19 Scott Johnston

What can I say I like it here

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Team Starvin Marvins is throwing their collective hat in the ring for RoY! We are based in San Francisco (and the surrounding areas) and consist of 3 full-timers and one part-timer. We entered a few backyard/non-sanctioned comps last year and had a blast so we're looking forward to playing with the big boys!

See you all out there!

#20 Matt Dalton

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Good luck to all of you rookie teams!It should be a fun one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users