2011 CBBQA Team of the Year

210 replies to this topic

#1 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

The 2011 competitive barbecue season has officially started and it's going to be a great season in California. We've already got a lot of contests working on getting set up for 2011 ToY and I'm looking forward to a competitive season that has more events then ever before.

Besides the continued contest growth, there's some other great things happening...

I'd like to introduce a new sponsor for the 2011 season - Butchers BBQ. We are proud to have them on board with us this season and as many of you who use their products know, their offerings are some of the best available. We are happy to have our ToY program associated with such quality products and a great company. Welcome aboard David & Butchers BBQ!

So now about the competition. With all due respect to our 2010 champs, Slap Yo' Daddy, if you plan on repeating you better know it's gonna be tougher than ever. There's plenty of teams, Brazen BBQ included, who've got you in their sights for 2011. Harry & Benny, was it a fluke or are you ready to repeat?

Like Ben says...let the smack talk begin.

It's gonna be a good one.

#2 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

Same scoring as last year for ToY points?

#3 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

For the most part it is the same scoring as last year other than the 2 bonus points for RGC.

Edited by John Bracamonte, 09 January 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Robert Hall

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:NB Bandera Lover

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Lot of contests are listed for 2011 (with plenty more to come). When will you confirm and flag them as TOY events?

#5 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostRobert Hall, on 09 January 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

Lot of contests are listed for 2011 (with plenty more to come). When will you confirm and flag them as TOY events?

Soon. I've got to get the new rules finalized and then work with the organizers to get them officially sanctioned as ToY contests.

#6 Harry Soo

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

John:
Well done on your team's first GC last year! The first is always memorable. Yes, Benny and I are planning a full court press for 2011 and we've been practicing hard and consistently. So long as blood and BBQ sauce flows through our veins, everyone will see our WSMs at contests. We intend to prove, to ourselves, that our 10 GCs from 2010 was not a fluke. Smack back to you! LOL!
Harry
PS. Teams may get a little break as I may be sequested to be on a TV show. If I get on, I could be out of BBQ circulation for several weeks. Stay tuned. . .

View PostJohn Bracamonte, on 09 January 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

So now about the competition. With all due respect to our 2010 champs, Slap Yo' Daddy, if you plan on repeating you better know it's gonna be tougher than ever. There's plenty of teams, Brazen BBQ included, who've got you in their sights for 2011. Harry & Benny, was it a fluke or are you ready to repeat?

Like Ben says...let the smack talk begin.

It's gonna be a good one.

#7 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Harry, say it aint so!!!! hollyWOOD, well at least BBQ has WOOD, so maybe a good fit. Looking forward to seeing you on the circuit, at least once or twice.

Mark

#8 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

KCBS BOD meeting 1/14... voting on Pala's sanctioning...(other 2 already sanctioned) Should be OK... To set up 3 CBBQA TOY Events to start the season=== Wildomar's Ultimate BBQ- 3/18-3/19/11, PALA's Inagural BBQ event- 4/1-4/2 and Golden Acorn II in 8/12-8/13.. My June State Line Event will also be KCBS but since it is outside of California's border a Non-Toy CBBQA event.. Yet the GC has a 25%(1 in 4) Jack qualifier chance, because there is only 4 events in Nevada between last August and this August 31st.. (Jack cut-off)... NYE/NYD II is also on the Works.. Will have further developments on this one as they become available...Thanks

Henry

#9 Tom Moore

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

Henry!!! Get some sleep! Good work.

#10 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

Henry,

KCBS BoD decided to limit contests to the third weekend in Dec. for their TOY race. Reason given for their vote to end the year early was because the office staff had to come in and work to update the points after the NYE contest. The staff is usually off for a couple of weeks over the holidays.

Is there an unspoken reason, like not wanting CA (or Western state) teams moving up in the standings? Or is it the cost of travel for those teams that need to come out west for the points. Maybe Gene can comment.

Benny

#11 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

The ToY rules have been updated for 2011 and can be found here: http://www.cbbqa.org...=2011_ToY_Rules. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

#12 Marcel Fortin

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

Also Added yesterday.

4-30, 5-1 Stagecoach
5-27/28 Brentwood Pal Blues, Brews and BBQ's with David and Lori Lopp as Reps,
6-3/4 Smokin' in the Oaks
7-2/3 All American, Rancho Cordova
9-2/3 Mesquite NV
9-23/24 Dana Point BBQ (Name TBD) Arlie Bragg promotions

#13 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

View PostBenny Adauto, on 17 January 2011 - 11:51 PM, said:

Henry,

KCBS BoD decided to limit contests to the third weekend in Dec. for their TOY race. Reason given for their vote to end the year early was because the office staff had to come in and work to update the points after the NYE contest. The staff is usually off for a couple of weeks over the holidays.

Is there an unspoken reason, like not wanting CA (or Western state) teams moving up in the standings? Or is it the cost of travel for those teams that need to come out west for the points. Maybe Gene can comment.

Benny

Well -- We'll just have to come up with a Contest the week before XMAS then-- Say Dec 17th-- If this change because of a few voices (teams) complaint, and we all know who those were (they weren't here for NYE/NYD BBQ).. Then so be it, one way or another I will have the last KCBS event of the year-- and those teams will have to come out to play! or loose their place in the standings.. If that wasn't the case, and the KCBS folks really got too "overwhelmed" with ONE contest and having to come up with awards in 2 weeks (which for me is enough time to set up an entire contest), then my apologies...

No matter what I have a meeting at KNOTTS to discuss 2011/2012 NYE/NYD BBQ and I know 12/31 counts for the CBBQA finals... Also if someone was to win both events (back to back)-assuming we get well over 50 teams -- they would have 20% of their contest done for the year with a perfect 600 score, gaining a tremendous edge on the entire KCBS field for the 2012 year... or even those that would finish in the top 5 for that matter both days... So again, if they want to play catch up the entire year, they won't come, but if they want to be in the mix from the get go-- It all starts in California..

As many of you know - when I started this promotion thing, my goal was to bring the East (of the Colorado River) teams to the West at least once a year-- (just like our CA, NV, AZ teams have to travel to the East (Jack, Royal)-- the East should learn to travel to the West-- it is the only way that BBQ will expand as a Sport, and gain the necessary audience to maintain-sustain and grow for future generations to enjoy...and so far I would give myself a C on accomplishing my goal.. over the next few years we'll see if my vision becomes a reality.

#14 David Bouska

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

What a list of comps to be working with, Thanks to all the organizers and CBBQA.

#15 Scottie Johnson

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

View PostHenry Silvestre, on 18 January 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

As many of you know - when I started this promotion thing, my goal was to bring the East (of the Colorado River) teams to the West at least once a year-- (just like our CA, NV, AZ teams have to travel to the East (Jack, Royal)-- the East should learn to travel to the West-- it is the only way that BBQ will expand as a Sport, and gain the necessary audience to maintain-sustain and grow for future generations to enjoy...and so far I would give myself a C on accomplishing my goal.. over the next few years we'll see if my vision becomes a reality.

There are quite a few teams that travel. I know I travel all over the country, including the West. Usually at least once a year. Teams also travel from out West to the Royal and the JAck, because these are Invitational contests. These are also the most prestigious contests that competition BBQ has. The West just does not have contests that can compare to the AR or the Jack. One day, maybe you all will have one with that kind of prestige and teams from all over the country will make a pilgrimage out West. Another thing to remember, contests need some money to do that kind of travel for the cooks. while it's a nice thing to think that teams will go and compete out West and have expenses of $2k for the contest just so they can say they competed. We also have to have at least a shot at winning our money back. To do that, you almost have to guarantee of winning the GC. I wish I could say it is that easy to do, but I can't. the vast majority of contests are at the average or below average for prize funds, compared to the other parts of the country. No fault of anyone, that is just what the market can handle. Now end of year positioning is completely different. You will have teams travel all over the country, with no shot of winning or breaking even, because they are going for the TOY points. Not really sure why, because the payouts just don't warrant it. It is strickly for bragging rights for the cooks.

#16 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

View PostScottie Johnson, on 20 January 2011 - 01:20 PM, said:

There are quite a few teams that travel. I know I travel all over the country, including the West. Usually at least once a year. Teams also travel from out West to the Royal and the JAck, because these are Invitational contests. These are also the most prestigious contests that competition BBQ has. The West just does not have contests that can compare to the AR or the Jack. One day, maybe you all will have one with that kind of prestige and teams from all over the country will make a pilgrimage out West. Another thing to remember, contests need some money to do that kind of travel for the cooks. while it's a nice thing to think that teams will go and compete out West and have expenses of $2k for the contest just so they can say they competed. We also have to have at least a shot at winning our money back. To do that, you almost have to guarantee of winning the GC. I wish I could say it is that easy to do, but I can't. the vast majority of contests are at the average or below average for prize funds, compared to the other parts of the country. No fault of anyone, that is just what the market can handle. Now end of year positioning is completely different. You will have teams travel all over the country, with no shot of winning or breaking even, because they are going for the TOY points. Not really sure why, because the payouts just don't warrant it. It is strickly for bragging rights for the cooks.

That is exactly why I am trying to create a NYE/NYD tradition (like the Rose Bowl)-- for BBQ teams- out here in the West, the KCBS ruling -hurt my efforts to do so, to some extend-- I can tell you this if the site that I am planning to have this event on -this year and hopefully for many to come- partners up with me (Monday meeting), the Prize $$ ($11,000 overall in 2010) will be at least $16,000 in 2011/12 (and only go up from there- yr in and yr out) - with teams doing PC -serving to 20,000-30,000 people a day... and room to accomodate over 200 teams if need be. In any case I will have a TOY KCBS in December (before the 3rd week) on top of the NYE/NYD one-- so teams coming out West can hang with family, friends, or just in their RV's for a couple Weeks and get 3 contest in..

#17 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

While I love the idea of having a large, meaningful BBQ contest on the west coast, and I applaud all efforts to make it happen, don't the existing rules already ensure teams don't have to travel far to be competitive in TOY standings? For example, it is my understanding that KCBS uses a teams best 10 contests, and CBBQA uses 5. Obviously the more contests you do, the better your chances will be, but in the mid-west and south, teams can do a contest every weekend from April through October and never have to travel more than a couple hours from home. They can easily do 20+ contests in a season. What does one more, with travel to the west coast really buy them and do you think it is worth the thousands it will take to travel for the chance to win less than it will cost?

I think the lure of big fun contests will definitely get some teams to make the journey, but I also think it will take more than just TOY points and average payouts to get a really big field from "back east".

Just my thoughts, and yes, some questions as I am new and my assumptions may be off.

#18 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 21 January 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

While I love the idea of having a large, meaningful BBQ contest on the west coast, and I applaud all efforts to make it happen, don't the existing rules already ensure teams don't have to travel far to be competitive in TOY standings? For example, it is my understanding that KCBS uses a teams best 10 contests, and CBBQA uses 5. Obviously the more contests you do, the better your chances will be, but in the mid-west and south, teams can do a contest every weekend from April through October and never have to travel more than a couple hours from home. They can easily do 20+ contests in a season. What does one more, with travel to the west coast really buy them and do you think it is worth the thousands it will take to travel for the chance to win less than it will cost?

I think the lure of big fun contests will definitely get some teams to make the journey, but I also think it will take more than just TOY points and average payouts to get a really big field from "back east".

Just my thoughts, and yes, some questions as I am new and my assumptions may be off.

Short answer if the/any ToY race was neck and neck down to the finish line, THEN every point/contest matters.

#19 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

True, but only for a couple of teams. Do you think that will cause dozens of teams to travel thousands of miles?

#20 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 21 January 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

True, but only for a couple of teams. Do you think that will cause dozens of teams to travel thousands of miles?
They did to Wildomar-- we had almost 20 teams out of state-- 4 from Texas,2 from KC, 1 from Oklahoma, 1 Utah, 1 from Illinois-- Nevada and Arizona were also well represented.... and this was just year 1... 6 of the top 13 and 7 of the top 20 teams for the KCBS year came to Wildomar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users