CBBQA Membership Benefits.

30 replies to this topic

#1 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

Good morning all. I have a question regarding membership benefits as described in the description of membership benefits when one wants to sign up. I never realized that one could be a member of the forum without contributing money to CBBQA. I do contribute and am happy to do so but my question is, do the membership benefits such as the news letter:("A subscription to our newsletter and the National BBQ News (it's a physical newspaper, not virtual)")
( I have never recieved one), and the informal gatherings, Q Fests: ("Q-Fests
Several times a year, we organize barbecue festivals (“Q-Fests”) at a park or campground. We smoke some meat, bring a potluck dish and have ourselves a very nice weekend".) ( I have never seen one anounced)
(are there any besides Ric's backyard warm up?) and the ability to access the members only forums apply to both paying and non-paying members. Don't know that it really matters except that I felt that Ric's backyard event was a member benefit and I have asked a CBBQA forum member to join my team, however that member is a non-paying member. Just wondering about these things.

Mark

#2 Sylvie Curry

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

View Postmark evenson, on 05 January 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

Good morning all. I have a question regarding membership benefits as described in the description of membership benefits when one wants to sign up. I never realized that one could be a member of the forum without contributing money to CBBQA. I do contribute and am happy to do so but my question is, do the membership benefits such as the news letter:("A subscription to our newsletter and the National BBQ News (it's a physical newspaper, not virtual)")
Several times a year, we organize barbecue festivals (“Q-Fests”) at a park or campground. We smoke some meat, bring a potluck dish and have ourselves a very nice weekend".) ( I have never seen one anounced)
(are there any besides Ric's backyard warm up?) and the ability to access the members only forums apply to both paying and non-paying members. Don't know that it really matters except that I felt that Ric's backyard event was a member benefit and I have asked a CBBQA forum member to join my team, however that member is a non-paying member. Just wondering about these things.

Mark
Great questions Mark. One of the board members will probably chime in with a reply.

#3 K & K MacIntosh

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

View Postmark evenson, on 05 January 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

Several times a year, we organize barbecue festivals ("Q-Fests") at a park or campground. We smoke some meat, bring a potluck dish and have ourselves a very nice weekend".) ( I have never seen one anounced)

Mark

Hi Mark,
PM me your mailing address and I will check on your National BBQ News subscription.

You can find info about the upcoming Q-Fest at: http://www.cbbqa.org...showtopic=14226

Kelly

#4 Rick Renaud

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

We have been paying members for a year now and this is not the first time someone has asked about the non-existent newsletter or the National BBQ news. The subject gets brought up by various members from time to time and some one will check but nothing happens.

Edited by Rick Renaud, 05 January 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#5 K & K MacIntosh

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostRick Renaud, on 05 January 2011 - 01:43 PM, said:

We have been paying members for a year now and this is not the first time someone has asked about the non-existent newsletter or the National BBQ news. The subject gets brought up by various members from time to time and some one will check but nothing happens.
Rick,
Are you saying you are not receiving your National BBQ News either. If so, PM me your mailing address and I will get an answer.

Kelly

#6 James Werth

New to this forum

• 19 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, PBA Member
    BBQing, Poker, and
    My Kids most of all!

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hi Rick,

In reference to the events such as: (Q-Fest) getting announced, check out BBQ Dan's site for Dan Cannon, I believe that he organizes some of the events. Another good site along with the cbbqa one posted previously. I am new to this, but I have used both sites.

http://www.bbqdan.co...events_bbq.html

My 0.02, hope it helps.

Regards,
James

#7 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for all the responses to the news letter portion. any ideas on this portion:

...I never realized that one could be a member of the forum without contributing money to CBBQA. ... my question is, do the membership benefits...
...and the ability to access the members only forums apply to both paying and non-paying members? Don't know that it really matters except that I felt that Ric's backyard event was a member benefit and I have asked a CBBQA forum member to join my team, however that member is a non-paying member. Just wondering about these things.

Mark

#8 Sylvie Curry

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

View Postmark evenson, on 05 January 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

Thanks for all the responses to the news letter portion. any ideas on this portion:

...I never realized that one could be a member of the forum without contributing money to CBBQA. ... my question is, do the membership benefits...
...and the ability to access the members only forums apply to both paying and non-paying members? Don't know that it really matters except that I felt that Ric's backyard event was a member benefit and I have asked a CBBQA forum member to join my team, however that member is a non-paying member. Just wondering about these things.

Mark
A challenge to the new CBBQA Board of Directors might be to develop a statement to potential new members on why they should pay a membership fee to be a part of this potentially great organization outlining the benefits, what that fee covers, what you get for your money, how to keep interest to pay the fee year to year, etc?

#9 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

I joined the CBBQA 6 years ago after reading up on the Association's mission statement. I thought raising money for kids in need while spending time enjoying the art of BBQ was a thing I could be part of.

I continue to volunteer many hours toward the Association's activities, as I also continue to find it's values (CBBQA's) are in line with my own. Teaching BBQ, Raising Funds for Charities and Cooking BBQ. When I find that my interest in hobbies has changed, I too my go find another group that more suits my interests.

I challenge anyone to find a regional group of BBQ enthusiasts that is more generous with their time and efforts. I happen to be very proud of the fact we raise so much money for Children's Charities...unparelled IMO.

#10 Sylvie Curry

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostDarry Smith, on 05 January 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

I joined the CBBQA 6 years ago after reading up on the Association's mission statement. I thought raising money for kids in need while spending time enjoying the art of BBQ was a thing I could be part of.

I continue to volunteer many hours toward the Association's activities, as I also continue to find it's values (CBBQA's) are in line with my own. Teaching BBQ, Raising Funds for Charities and Cooking BBQ. When I find that my interest in hobbies has changed, I too my go find another group that more suits my interests.

I challenge anyone to find a regional group of BBQ enthusiasts that is more generous with their time and efforts. I happen to be very proud of the fact we raise so much money for Children's Charities...unparelled IMO.
That's very altruistic. No offense, but that's not quite what I think Mark was questioning.

#11 Robert Hall

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:NB Bandera Lover

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

I too joined at the Kristie's event last year so our team could be in the ROY race. No newletter or National BBQ News for me either. But felt the money supported the group and liked being in the team rankings it provided.

#12 Ben Lobenstein

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

We have a number of members who are not receiving the NBBQN for an unknown reason. Their accurate addresses have been sent (repeatedly) to NBBQN which have confirmed these members and accurate addresses in their system, yet no paper arrives. We are not sure how to resolve beyond asking the USPS where they are. This issue continues to grow unfortunately.

We did a Q fest North in (IIRC) Oct 2008 and Oct 2009, as well as a NorCal backyarder (other than Ric's) in 2008, 2009, and 2010, the 2011 version is also in the works. These were held in Patterson, CA at a private lake, except the 2010 edition which was held in Placerville. CBBQA members in the North also have an annual holiday party @ Great American BBQ in Alameda.

Forgot to mention Oinktoberfest in Oroville a while back.

Q Fest South is not only in the banner rotation at the top of the forums, it's on the front page calendar as it has been ever year (in Mid Feb) for many years.

Hope this helps.

#13 Leonard Sanders

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:dutch ovens-chuck wagons

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

We are having an Oinktoberfest 2011 on Oct 7th, 8th, and 9th. These dates may conflict with Lancaster, but I'm sorry. Lancaster is a long ways away and we need more Norcal events. This event will be at "River Reflections RV Park" located in Oroville, CA on the scenic Feather River.

We had "Oinktoberfest 2009" and cancelled in 2010. Highway 70 through Oroville has been under wideening construction and the RV park was full of construction worker's RVs. "Oinktoberfest 2011" will also include a "backyard" competition. This will be a great opportounity for family and bbq affectionados to gather together and camp out weekend. This event is borderlined on the west by the scenic Feather River and is a pork themed function. Details will be following--this has been announced early and the gathering is still in planning.

Check the CBBQA gallery for pictures of "Oinktoberfest 2009" Ben can take a lot of pictures.

PM me for details-----we want all members in the north to attend---competitors---non-competitors--back yard cooks---and yes -dutch oven cooks.

CBBQA members in Butte County are hosting the event---we are not TOY contenders--we are not big time competitors--we are BBQ lovers. CBBQA is our chosen place to gather and share our BBQ enthusiasm---paid membership to our Association concerns less money that we may pay for spices alone. If the "Smoking Times" section of the NBBQA is not being received ---the K & K MacIntosh clan will take care of the problem. If you cannot trust a Scottish name the world is lost.
Enough for the membership speech.

If you would like to be a part of "Oinktoberfest 2011" let me know. The event is still in planning. If you feel ignored as a Northern Calif member of the CBBQA speak up now. We are going to have fun at "Oinktoberfest 2011"

#14 Leonard Sanders

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

This reply is to Mark

Mark I understand your questioning of CBBQA related events. I joined CBBQA and had the same questions and received them same generic answers. I was thrilled the website announced "Northern California BBQ Party" at Frank Boyers house. I was not a CBBQA insider --there was no address--no contact--I was pissed that I was missing a "NORTHERN California" event. I was an ingnored BBQ person, who was cooking BBQ before many of the members were born. No one loved me I wuz gonna eat some worms. Turns out that the "NORTHERN California" gathering was somewhere near Santa Cruz. WTF I was lovingly announced by Ric Gilbert as the "Geographic Reactionary" becaused I challenged the name "Norcal" to his awesome backyard event in San Jose---which he respectfully calls "Bay Area" now.
I called CBBQA president Grant Ford and explained my dismay at something called CBBQA. He gave me answers that pissed me off---I told him that the CBBQA could kiss my ass and discontinued my membership.

Two years later---I am still pissed at the CBBQA---but I am determined--everything south of Sacramento is LA and their attitude can kiss my ass ---I will just drive over to Lake Oroville and piss in their drinking water. I came to a realization---"If I am not part of the cure----I am a part of the problem" I rejoined the CBBQA---I had bad attitude--anyone south of Marysville could kiss my. I had trouble logging in ---I called then President Thom Emery--you know what he wasn't such a jerk--I mean anyone as south as Indio has to be a jerk--Hell-he thinks Bakersfield is Norcal. He talked with me --almost seemed human --and referred me to Ben in San Francisco. I was raised country redneck in Northern California--and talking to some guy in San Francisco was just not in the books. I was determined--I called Ben--I am computer illiterate and Ben set me up---he told me my login---he invented my password that I still carry. Ben babysat me---and I am sure thst I was not an "easy" person to work with. Today I love Ben as a BBQ brother --a brother that has opened my eyes to the fellowship of CBBQA.
The Bart Clan (Dave and Deny) had a Norcal "Q-fest" near Patterson , CA---I was a skeptic---I mean Patterson, CA ain't exactly Yreka. I went to Patterson--the CBBQA was beyond fabulous. Pat Burke was an immediate friend---I basically loved everybody. I am now a CBBQA convert. My best friends are CBBQA members---why not? we have the same interests. When I get hyper I call Tim Mar to settle me done. I don't know why I call John Chips. We have dined--gone to concerts with our wives--and talked BBQ---it does not get any better.

This is a long story--a story that needs to be posted. I am not in the TOY race. I am not in the ROY race, I am not in the KCBS race----I am in the HUMAN race. I cater BBQ---BBQ is my livlihood---cookin BBQ for 6 judges just doesn't seem right---who is gonna feed the others. I feed the others. I am not a dumb chit because I am not in the points race. I am in the Human Race---I cook everyday with people in the human race--I am not on TV---I am not in the headlines--I am the soul of BBQ(small letters "soul") and I BBQ with friends that are the "SOUL" (big letters) of BBQ. I would like to think that I am CBBQA. If you think that you represent CBBQA---open your mind---have a bad friend nominate you for BOD and run.

It cannot be denied CBBQA is motivated by "Competition BBQ" Compete--win--get elected. BUT if CBBQA's mission is not a lie--it is about BBQ--it is about promoting BBQ---it is about charity. The mission has been tainted--it is not about BBQ---it is about winning and kissing winners asses---losers are cannon foder to the winners---I am here to win money---this is a business. Charity is spouted as CBBQA being a winner for all---is it?

I challenge our 2011 BOD to even out some of the injustices. I am confidant that our BOD will come through--hell I voted for many. A member is a member and deserves as much attention as the TOY or ROY. The TOY is simply a member and the ROY is simply a member---but they are winning members.

I will remain---I will be part of the cure--I am a member to stay--my friends are members--and I encourage all to become members--non-competitors can have fun and fellowship. Do not be intimidated by competition teams---some of them are actually human---some of them will bend over backwards to help a BBQ enthusiast. Some of them are there for the money--their light doesn't shine through---and you are cannon foder, Thank God that these are few. Thank God for the members that focus on our mission, thank God for the charity minded members. Thank God for members that teach CBBQA classes as a volunteer--helping others--promoting BBQ, and letting the dollars fall towards charity. Helping, and promoting BBQ, plus charity is our mission--and members in such activities are our backbone.

#15 John Chips

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

View PostLeonard Sanders, on 10 January 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

This reply is to Mark

Mark I understand your questioning of CBBQA related events. I joined CBBQA and had the same questions and received them same generic answers. I was thrilled the website announced "Northern California BBQ Party" at Frank Boyers house. I was not a CBBQA insider --there was no address--no contact--I was pissed that I was missing a "NORTHERN California" event. I was an ingnored BBQ person, who was cooking BBQ before many of the members were born. No one loved me I wuz gonna eat some worms. Turns out that the "NORTHERN California" gathering was somewhere near Santa Cruz. WTF I was lovingly announced by Ric Gilbert as the "Geographic Reactionary" becaused I challenged the name "Norcal" to his awesome backyard event in San Jose---which he respectfully calls "Bay Area" now.
I called CBBQA president Grant Ford and explained my dismay at something called CBBQA. He gave me answers that pissed me off---I told him that the CBBQA could kiss my ass and discontinued my membership.

Two years later---I am still pissed at the CBBQA---but I am determined--everything south of Sacramento is LA and their attitude can kiss my ass ---I will just drive over to Lake Oroville and piss in their drinking water. I came to a realization---"If I am not part of the cure----I am a part of the problem" I rejoined the CBBQA---I had bad attitude--anyone south of Marysville could kiss my. I had trouble logging in ---I called then President Thom Emery--you know what he wasn't such a jerk--I mean anyone as south as Indio has to be a jerk--Hell-he thinks Bakersfield is Norcal. He talked with me --almost seemed human --and referred me to Ben in San Francisco. I was raised country redneck in Northern California--and talking to some guy in San Francisco was just not in the books. I was determined--I called Ben--I am computer illiterate and Ben set me up---he told me my login---he invented my password that I still carry. Ben babysat me---and I am sure thst I was not an "easy" person to work with. Today I love Ben as a BBQ brother --a brother that has opened my eyes to the fellowship of CBBQA.
The Bart Clan (Dave and Deny) had a Norcal "Q-fest" near Patterson , CA---I was a skeptic---I mean Patterson, CA ain't exactly Yreka. I went to Patterson--the CBBQA was beyond fabulous. Pat Burke was an immediate friend---I basically loved everybody. I am now a CBBQA convert. My best friends are CBBQA members---why not? we have the same interests. When I get hyper I call Tim Mar to settle me done. I don't know why I call John Chips. We have dined--gone to concerts with our wives--and talked BBQ---it does not get any better.

This is a long story--a story that needs to be posted. I am not in the TOY race. I am not in the ROY race, I am not in the KCBS race----I am in the HUMAN race. I cater BBQ---BBQ is my livlihood---cookin BBQ for 6 judges just doesn't seem right---who is gonna feed the others. I feed the others. I am not a dumb chit because I am not in the points race. I am in the Human Race---I cook everyday with people in the human race--I am not on TV---I am not in the headlines--I am the soul of BBQ(small letters "soul") and I BBQ with friends that are the "SOUL" (big letters) of BBQ. I would like to think that I am CBBQA. If you think that you represent CBBQA---open your mind---have a bad friend nominate you for BOD and run.

It cannot be denied CBBQA is motivated by "Competition BBQ" Compete--win--get elected. BUT if CBBQA's mission is not a lie--it is about BBQ--it is about promoting BBQ---it is about charity. The mission has been tainted--it is not about BBQ---it is about winning and kissing winners asses---losers are cannon foder to the winners---I am here to win money---this is a business. Charity is spouted as CBBQA being a winner for all---is it?

I challenge our 2011 BOD to even out some of the injustices. I am confidant that our BOD will come through--hell I voted for many. A member is a member and deserves as much attention as the TOY or ROY. The TOY is simply a member and the ROY is simply a member---but they are winning members.

I will remain---I will be part of the cure--I am a member to stay--my friends are members--and I encourage all to become members--non-competitors can have fun and fellowship. Do not be intimidated by competition teams---some of them are actually human---some of them will bend over backwards to help a BBQ enthusiast. Some of them are there for the money--their light doesn't shine through---and you are cannon foder, Thank God that these are few. Thank God for the members that focus on our mission, thank God for the charity minded members. Thank God for members that teach CBBQA classes as a volunteer--helping others--promoting BBQ, and letting the dollars fall towards charity. Helping, and promoting BBQ, plus charity is our mission--and members in such activities are our backbone.

DUDE, Where's the love? I'm not feeling it. Am I too far North?

NUTZ

#16 Leonard Sanders

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

Too far sumthin
But I still love ya

#17 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

Leonard, thank you for the reply. Although the specific Question I asked doesn't seem to have an answer. Insight into your personality and state of mind is truely welcome. As I posted in Ric's thread, I respect your unselfishness and willingness to help us BBQ neophites. "Newby" for short. I hope to be available in October to join in. See you in Corning if as I read you will be there.

Mark

Edited by mark evenson, 11 January 2011 - 08:15 AM.

#18 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

View Postmark evenson, on 11 January 2011 - 08:13 AM, said:

Although the specific Question I asked doesn't seem to have an answer.

Mark,

If you are asking about Ric's backyard event and what it takes to join in...that would be a question for Ric himself. Although the Association fully appreciates the events that promoters like Ric Gilbert provide, they are not CBBQA events in actuality.

Edited by Darry Smith, 11 January 2011 - 08:33 AM.

#19 K & K MacIntosh

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

I will be sending out the National BBQ News to the followiing people that indicated they are not receiving their copy.

Jason Clark
John Yee
David Farrell
Rick Renaud
Mark Evenson
Robert Hall

If I missed somebody or if any other CBBQA member isn't receiving their copy please let me know.

Thanks

Kelly

#20 Rick Renaud

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

View PostK & K MacIntosh, on 31 January 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

I will be sending out the National BBQ News to the followiing people that indicated they are not receiving their copy.

Jason Clark
John Yee
David Farrell
Rick Renaud
Mark Evenson
Robert Hall

If I missed somebody or if any other CBBQA member isn't receiving their copy please let me know.

Thanks

Kelly
Thank You Kelly!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users