"Fried" Chicken On The Grill

4 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent Carrocci

CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

A few weeks ago, I came across a recipe on another forum for something referred to as "Kettle Fried Chicken" and it was one of the more intriguing ideas I have seen in quite some time. The recipe demonstrated how to get crispy, crunchy "fried" chicken without actually frying it. And, to make matters even more interesting, the chicken is cooked on the grill. Alexa and I decided to give it a try for ourselves and what follows is a photo documentary of our effort.

We started off with a collection of bone-in, skin on thighs, breasts and drumsticks. We determined we had enough space on the trusty Weber kettle for 4 thighs, 4 drums and 2 breasts. We didn't do anything to the raw pieces except trim a bit of the excess skin from the thighs and square them up a bit.

Posted Image

We mixed up a quick batter and began dipping the pieces one by one...

Posted Image

And then rolling the dipped pieces in a dry coating.

Posted Image
Posted Image

After dipping and coating all the pieces, we let them rest for about 30 minutes.

Posted Image

While the chicken rested, I fired up a full chimney of charcoal and made sure it was totally lit before adding it to the kettle which I had set up for indirect grilling. I modified the rotisserie ring for the kettle so that I could place a cooking grate at the top and thought it would be good to use that so as to get the chicken a little bit farther away from the coals.

Posted Image

All that was left to do was to put the chicken onto the grate.

Posted Image

I got the kettle temperature to hold steadily at about 375F and about 40 minutes later the chicken was "G B & D", Golden Brown & Delicious!

Posted Image

Believe it or not, the crust was crunchy, crispy and full of flavor while the meat was tender and juicy. Give this a try sometime and you won't be disappointed. Neither will your dinner companions, especially when they see a platter like this in the middle of the table!

Posted Image

#2 scott bertken

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:harleys smoking meat racing and hunting what else is there

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

looks really good

#3 John Bracamonte

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hmm, I'm always a little skeptical about a baked version of something that was just meant to be dipped in hot oil, but I may have to try this.

#4 Ricky Martin

• 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

wow it's really looks good. My mouth is watering. keep it up.. :phone:

#5 Kevin Barteaux

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Looking great VQ!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users