Jump to content




The Ultimate BBQ Showdown East vs. West II


171 replies to this topic

#1 Henry Silvestre

    Needs to Get a Life

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Mark your Calendars: March 18th-19th 2011

Wildomar

Prize $$12,000

This year will be BIGGER - KCBS, Better - CBBQA, Stronger TOY event-- Just sent paperwork to KCBS.. Looks to be 1st California Contest for 2011.

Applications, entry forms, etc.. coming soon (around 1st week of October) Stay posted.. and Mark your Calendars... New site can hold 8 0 + teams

#2 Thom Emery

    Pres. CBBQA 2007

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,137 posts
  • Location:Indio Ca
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:57 AM

Should be a good un
I will start a 2011 contest dates wiki

#3 John Bracamonte

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Location:San Diego, CA

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:15 AM

Very cool Henry, that'll be a great way to start the season.

#4 Peter Lent

    Forum Nut Job

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Location:Temecula, CA
  • Interests:BBQ (of course), Woodworking, Camping

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, looking forward to it!

KCBS, TOY, bigger venue, does not get much better.

Thanks Henry.

Pete

#5 John Hilgeman

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Location:Garden Grove Ca.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

I'll be there!

John

#6 Darry Smith

    2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Location:Santa Clara, CA
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

    Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

    -Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

I predict this to be our first contest over 65 teams.

A can't miss for 2011 ToY contestants.

#7 Thom Emery

    Pres. CBBQA 2007

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,137 posts
  • Location:Indio Ca
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:02 AM

View PostDarry Smith, on 09 August 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

I predict this to be our first contest over 65 teams.

A can't miss for 2011 ToY contestants.



Yes on the 65
I think 70 plus team contests will happen before the 2011 season ends

#8 Henry Silvestre

    Needs to Get a Life

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

View PostThom Emery, on 10 August 2010 - 05:02 AM, said:

Yes on the 65
I think 70 plus team contests will happen before the 2011 season ends

I am hoping before 2010 ends.. The Golden Acorn-- Last CBBQA TOY of the year, lots to be determined and a contest (because of the number of teams) that could be worth some serious points towards the CBBQA TOY and Rookie Battles.. The Winner simply can over take anyone, or vice versa those on top can prevent anyone from passing them by winning it.. Some midwest teams will come also, to pat their KCBS standings for the year..

#9 Thom Emery

    Pres. CBBQA 2007

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,137 posts
  • Location:Indio Ca
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

Yes We are in good times for California BBQ

#10 Eva harris

    Rib Doctor BBQ

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Location:riverside, ca
  • Interests:Fishing, BBQing, and spending time with the love of my life Hayward Harris JR aka The Rib Doctor

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

View PostHenry Silvestre, on 07 August 2010 - 10:06 PM, said:

Mark your Calendars: March 18th-19th 2011

Wildomar

Prize $$12,000

This year will be BIGGER - KCBS, Better - CBBQA, Stronger TOY event-- Just sent paperwork to KCBS.. Looks to be 1st California Contest for 2011.

Applications, entry forms, etc.. coming soon (around 1st week of October) Stay posted.. and Mark your Calendars... New site can hold 8 0 + teams

Sorry can't make it. NBBQA convention that week in Greenville
Eva & Hayward

PS would love to cook it other wise 20 mins from home .

#11 Henry Silvestre

    Needs to Get a Life

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

Prize $$ Breakdown for The Ultimate BBQ Challenge 3/18/11

4 meats all the same

1st- $1,000
2nd $500
3rd $250
4th $200
5th $150
6th $100
7th $50
8th-12th Trophies only

GC $2,000
RGC $1,000

Total Prize $$ $12,000

Entry Fee Early Bird = $295 deadline January 31st,2011 After $345 up until 3/11/11 Deadline one week prior to event..

Electricity available at $50 per team.. Must indicate on entry if electricity is needed (and payment enclosed)otherwise it will not be available to teams at event site... spaces are 20 x 40 max.. call if you need extra -- event cant hold more than 65 teams, this is bound to be the 1st event of the CBBQA year.. and based on last year, very popular.. This will be a TOY event and KCBS.

#12 Henry Silvestre

    Needs to Get a Life

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

View PostBill Keyes, on 07 December 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

$345 without electricity???
I'm sorry, but these entry fees are getting crazy.


$295 early bird... $345 with electricity.. for $12,000 --largest purse in California... I'd be glad to charge the normal $250-$285 that everyone else charges for $3500-$5,000 dollar purses... Talk to the folks in AZ (Get your Pig on) about electricity costs-- $14,000+.. or Tom's over $6,500 if we get 60 teams.. Thats just 2 generators 74KW - 3,000 ft of cables, 15 spider boxes, 30 ramps and 75 pigtails

$295 x 40 Teams = < $12,000... Bu the way we charged $300 last year with electricity IBCA (which costs $1,000 less than KCBS to put on).. But everyone wants KCBS, everyone wants electricity... No one wants to Sponsor (with $$$) events... If you think is so crazy Bill-- be my guest and put on an event in Ventura, charge $175 and give away $10,000.. Try it, then let me know how it feels to loose $20,000 +.. I already know... By the way I am charging $150 for the 2nd event at Tom's.. $250 for the 1st-- that's $200 per event-- The Cheapest fee in California -- and giving away above average Prize $$...

#13 Henry Silvestre

    Needs to Get a Life

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:51 PM

View PostBill Keyes, on 07 December 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

$345 without electricity???
I'm sorry, but these entry fees are getting crazy.

By the way Bill "Qing for Kids" which is the #1 event in CA history KCBS (56 teams) had an entry fee of $300-- for $7,000 in Prize $$$... Maybe I should cut the Rotary events prize money in 1/2 and charge the same.. or adjust it accordingly to $500 for $12,000.. But since this is a 100% charity event and fundraiser for our local Rotary Club, I'll think I'll keep it at $295 Early Bird ($345 with power) and give you TWICE the Prize $$ of Qing for kids

#14 Henry Silvestre

    Needs to Get a Life

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

View PostBill Keyes, on 07 December 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

$345 without electricity???
I'm sorry, but these entry fees are getting crazy.
One more thing -- HavaBBQ-- LAke Havasu.. starts at $300 + $60 for additional entries (just to compare prize $$) want electricity - start at +$50 all the way to +$150 depending on amps... So they are even higher in a state where things are cheaper than CA... + you have to travel there so add +$500 gas, etc.. you doint have to pay in So cal - If anything go bark at the other promoters.. My entry fees are amongst the lowest and my payouts are the highest in California.. and in all honesty, I am in the hole about $28,000 (Thanks to Mexico) this year, so unless I make $50,000+ organizing my events in 2011 ($22,000 for 2 years ---$11,000 per yr-- of very hard work avg..) 2011 might be my last year doing events, unless I get 3-5 big time $$$ sponsors..

#15 Vincent Carrocci

    CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:02 AM

Regarding electricity...

I do not understand why event organizers feel that it is their obligation to provide electricity to every team at the event. Competition barbeque is an outdoor cooking activity and we're cooking in field conditions. As I understand it, electricity is one of the most expensive items to obtain for an event and even those events that charge the typical $50 fee can't even come close to covering the cost.

Henry, unless I'm mistaken, you've indicated above that power for Tom's Farm is going to run about$ 6,500 for 60 teams. If you were to charge $50 per team for 60 teams (based on your numbers above) that would only bring in $3,000 which isn't even half of the cost for the utility. That's a big waste of money in my opinion.

The vast majority of teams at our events are setting up their sites with canopies, not RVs. While I like having electricity at an event, the amount that I really need can easily be provided by a 12 volt battery. We cooked for two seasons with just that before we invested in a 2000 watt Honda generator, an item we now bring to every event regardless of whether power is on site.

Organizers complain that hard dollar sponsors are in short supply and teams complian that entry fees are too high relative to prize funds. I suggest that organizers keep their costs down by no longer supplying power and let those of us who want/need it provide it for ourselves. I, for one, would love to stop subsidizing this ridiculously expensive luxury through my entry fees. If economic times are so tough, let's tighten our belt and do away with this cost.

#16 Dale Ginos

    Needs to Get a Life

  • CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Location:Oceanside, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

View PostVincent Carrocci, on 08 December 2010 - 08:02 AM, said:

Regarding electricity...

I do not understand why event organizers feel that it is their obligation to provide electricity to every team at the event. Competition barbeque is an outdoor cooking activity and we're cooking in field conditions. As I understand it, electricity is one of the most expensive items to obtain for an event and even those events that charge the typical $50 fee can't even come close to covering the cost.

Henry, unless I'm mistaken, you've indicated above that power for Tom's Farm is going to run about$ 6,500 for 60 teams. If you were to charge $50 per team for 60 teams (based on your numbers above) that would only bring in $3,000 which isn't even half of the cost for the utility. That's a big waste of money in my opinion.

The vast majority of teams at our events are setting up their sites with canopies, not RVs. While I like having electricity at an event, the amount that I really need can easily be provided by a 12 volt battery. We cooked for two seasons with just that before we invested in a 2000 watt Honda generator, an item we now bring to every event regardless of whether power is on site.

Organizers complain that hard dollar sponsors are in short supply and teams complian that entry fees are too high relative to prize funds. I suggest that organizers keep their costs down by no longer supplying power and let those of us who want/need it provide it for ourselves. I, for one, would love to stop subsidizing this ridiculously expensive luxury through my entry fees. If economic times are so tough, let's tighten our belt and do away with this cost.


I agree with Vince on the topic of electricity. Providing power is very expensive and unreliable. Would teams stop particpating if power was not provided but entry fees went down? Perhaps we shold take a poll.

#17 Ryan Chester

    Forum Nut Job

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

Can't wait for this event!!! Had a great time and made some good money last year. Looking forward to having a better time and making more money this year!

#18 Tom Glenn

    Forum Irregular

  • Registered User
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Location:Chandler, AZ

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:06 AM

This is the discussion topic for The Ultimate BBQ Showdown East vs. West II

#19 Tom Glenn

    Forum Irregular

  • Registered User
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Location:Chandler, AZ

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

View PostTom Glenn, on 09 December 2010 - 07:06 AM, said:

This is the discussion topic for The Ultimate BBQ Showdown East vs. West II

Sorry hit the wrong link.

IAB 30 BBQ will be coming West for this one.

#20 Vincent Carrocci

    CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

And riding in style!




Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users