4th Annual Kristie's Quen for Kids-Orange County BBQ Festival

183 replies to this topic

#61 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

The Health Department Information:

My most Favorite part of the event! Teams that are NOT participating in PC samples do NOT need to worry about the health department in any capacity. So, none of these details apply to you.

Teams that ARE participating in PC that ARE NOT selling other products from their booths, DO NOT need to obtain a TFF permit from the OC Health department. You will be grouped into the single permit that we obtain for the event.

HOWEVER, I will need you to sign a "No Profit Declaration" The declarations require information, signatures, and a copy of your photo ID. Though I am not allowed to use the same forms from last year (sorry, I know this is a pain), I can use the same copies of your photo id's as last year.

To save you the extra work, we have begun filling out the form for you. If I have the copy of your photo ID on file, I will confirm when I send you the document, that you do not need to attach a copy of your drivers license. You only need to sign the doc and return it to me via fax or scan and email. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE THE DOCUMENT NOTORIZED!

Please also know that only myself and the health department see these forms. The photo copies of your drivers license are kept in a locked filing cabinet.

****These forms need to be provided to the OC Health department no later than 2 weeks prior to the event*** If you are not sure as to whether you are participating, I would rather have you get the form to me, it's easier to cancel you out of the permit than to add you after the deadline.

Teams that want to sell products from their booth, call or email me for the information you need to be able to do so.

#62 Dale Ginos

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

Just walked across the street and put my check in the mail. When Pigs Fly is officially in the contest!

#63 Robert Hall

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:NB Bandera Lover

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Smokey Bones BBQ, completed the app and sent the check. We're in again too.

#64 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

Important Message from Ranchers Reserve

Teams,

As you know, the Rancher's Reserve Beef Cup will take place at the Orange County BBQ Festival! In order to participate, you must register 2 weeks prior to the event online here http://kcbs.us/rancherspoints.php
and pick up your top sirloin at the Safeway listed below. Your receipt must be presented at the cook's meeting and should have your Team Name, Team Captain, Phone Number and Email Address listed on the back.

Vons
2701 B. Harbor Blvd.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Remember, Rancher's Reserve is upping the ante by offering even more prize money and allowing you to get creative with the Rancher's Reserve Top Sirloin! The Rancher's Reserve Beef Cup will be treated as an additional category and you have the chance to win up to $900! After the event, winners may be contacted by MMA Creative for a follow-up interview. Please contact OC BBQ Festival with any questions!

#65 Robert Hall

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:NB Bandera Lover

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

What will the rules and requirements be for the Rancher's Reserve Beef Cup?
One Top Sirloin submitted or six? In a KCBS presentation?

Edited by Robert Hall, 06 May 2011 - 06:50 AM.

#66 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Information and update on the Ranchers Reserve Beef Cup!!!

CBJ's: Should be judging the top sirloin specifically for the KCBS standards of Appearance and Tenderness. This way, they can judge the meat in any recipe that is submitted. The Taste section of judging should be replaced with Creativity of the recipe.

Rancher's Reserve's goal this year is to find some really great new recipes from the best chefs in America (our teams). We must allow the teams to be as creative as possible, so great recipes are encouraged.

If you haven't registered yet for the Ranchers Reserve Beef Cup, please do so soon! Call my office if you have any questions!

#67 Ben Lobenstein

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostKelleigh Strobel, on 10 May 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

Information and update on the Ranchers Reserve Beef Cup!!!

CBJ's: Should be judging the top sirloin specifically for the KCBS standards of Appearance and Tenderness. This way, they can judge the meat in any recipe that is submitted. The Taste section of judging should be replaced with Creativity of the recipe.

Rancher's Reserve's goal this year is to find some really great new recipes from the best chefs in America (our teams). We must allow the teams to be as creative as possible, so great recipes are encouraged.

If you haven't registered yet for the Ranchers Reserve Beef Cup, please do so soon! Call my office if you have any questions!

We did ours the other way around, appearance was wide open, T&T was only the meat.

#68 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

IMPORTANT DEADLINE INFORMATION

I know there are a lot of contests going on but we are required to submit a final layout to the Fire Marshal by the 1st of June for our event. Please be aware that the deadline to register is May 31st! ALL team entries need to be in our office along with health department declaration (only if you are participating in PC) by the 31st.

If you need more time to send in your fee's let me know, I will work with you! Let me know if you need the link to register or you can call me at the office, I will take your info over the phone.

I am also aware that since Morgan Hill was the first of the Ranchers Reserve Beef cup, there are many questions. I have spoken with Kelly McIntosh and are waiting on some final information to come from the MMA team and I will post the final details of the Beef Cup for you guys very soon.

#69 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

Welcome Donna Fong + Butchers Daughter BBQ! This is your first entry into Que'n for Kids, welcome and I look forward to working with you.

#70 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:44 AM

BBQThom.com is in
Traveling light this year cooking on drums

#71 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

Okay Teams! Here are some important details to be aware of:

Entry: Just finished a meeting with the venue to discuss layout. Unike the past several contests, we will be enforcing an entry deadline this year to compete. ALL entries/monies/health department declarations MUST be in my office by the end of the day on Friday May 27th. If you have a problem getting your entry fee in by the 27th but want to compete, call me, I will work with you. The layout has to be approved by the fire marshal and the declarations have to be into the health department 2 weeks before the event, no exceptions.

Ranchers Reserve: a new email with info on the Top Sirloin contest came last week:

We've had a few judging questions that we felt necessary to address and clarify further. Please use the following information in your Rancher's Reserve judging process.

As is the case with the standard four KCBS categories, the CBJ's should be directed to judge the Rancher's Reserve top sirloin category as they do all categories, using the KCBS scorecard for Appearance, Taste and Tenderness. However, we suggest that the judges also be told that Rancher's Reserve is looking for "a creative style and approach" for their 2011 recipes. So as CBJ's are judging each entry, they should keep "creativity" in mind where and when possible. Put simply, this means "anything goes as long as the lid will close"! Obviously, we expect that the top sirloin to be cooked to perfection and pleasant to the eyes, nose and taste buds of the judge. But from there, it's wide open in regards to creativity and the judge's discretion.

Edited by Kelleigh Strobel, 23 May 2011 - 04:31 PM.

#72 Benny Adauto

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Auto Racing

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

Kelleigh,

At the Rancher's Reserve component in Morgan Hill, the entries were treated as "anything butt". Your paragraph indicates, "as long as the lid closes". Is the cook's creativity limited to the standard turn-in boxes?

Thanks, Benny

#73 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

View PostBenny Adauto, on 23 May 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

Kelleigh,

At the Rancher's Reserve component in Morgan Hill, the entries were treated as "anything butt". Your paragraph indicates, "as long as the lid closes". Is the cook's creativity limited to the standard turn-in boxes?

Thanks, Benny

Benny, I am struggling to answer that question with confidence. The information that I have received from the folks who are running the beef cup has changed a few times over. They truly are going for creativity, but I think they re-evaluted after the Morgan Hill event to try and be a bit more conforming to KCBS standards of judging, hence why they have now imposed the use of the turn in box. I also think that in trying to highlight "creativity" they inadvertently put "taste" to the side and realized an issue with that.

Kelly McIntosh can chime in here, as he would have more to advise. Overall, I think the cup in still in development and after the first few events, there is bound to be some fine tuning. Though I don't understand why they can't treat it as "anything butt" and instruct judges to factor taste and appearance; it seems in the end, at least for this event, whatever the teams cook for the top sirloin category, must be turned in via the standard turn in box.

#74 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

Kelleigh,

That's a darn shame. One can only do so much when confined to a styrofoam box. I don't think we can do Safeway/Vons any justice by limiting it to a 9x9 box AND the cooks cannot be as creative AND the food can lose complexity by reduction in volume. As a veteran judge, we look forward to the anythingbut category and relish in the presentations. The judges tent usually goes wild with "oohs and ahhs" when the dessert entries arrive. I still remember some of the entries from many years ago. Generally, Ben Lobenstein will say, keep your entry within 18 inches in width so that someone can physically carry it, and it is good to go. I would love the opportunity to fully express my creativity and make this category something to remember rather than something to regret.

Donna

#75 Ryan Chester

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

View PostKelleigh Strobel, on 24 May 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

Benny, I am struggling to answer that question with confidence. The information that I have received from the folks who are running the beef cup has changed a few times over. They truly are going for creativity, but I think they re-evaluted after the Morgan Hill event to try and be a bit more conforming to KCBS standards of judging, hence why they have now imposed the use of the turn in box. I also think that in trying to highlight "creativity" they inadvertently put "taste" to the side and realized an issue with that.

Kelly McIntosh can chime in here, as he would have more to advise. Overall, I think the cup in still in development and after the first few events, there is bound to be some fine tuning. Though I don't understand why they can't treat it as "anything butt" and instruct judges to factor taste and appearance; it seems in the end, at least for this event, whatever the teams cook for the top sirloin category, must be turned in via the standard turn in box.

Sweet!!! Less to worry about.

#76 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

In terms of event management the boxes are much better
Yes unfortunately it limits creativity
but my goodness some of the displays are so elaborate
they are very difficult to handle

#77 Kelleigh Strobel

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Just one last reminder for everyone, (I know I sound like a pest but three came in over the email just this evening), if you are wanting to cook at this event and you want to do PC, you have to have your health department declaration form to me by Tuesday morning. The very nice lady at the health dept. gave me an extra day because of the holiday but the last few forms are going to be faxed to her before noon on Tuesday. After that time, no additional PC entries can be submitted! Thanks for all the support, we are only 2 teams away from breaking last years number. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

Call or email me this weekend if you need the link to register or the form!

Oh, I almost forgot.... I want to share with you our two newest event participants, Reser's Fine Foods and Kings Hawaiian Bread!

Edited by Kelleigh Strobel, 26 May 2011 - 09:43 PM.

#78 Phil Carter

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

Looks like I have to come out of Hiatus to give ya'll a reminder!!!

#79 Andrew Soto

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Interests:BBQ
    Sprint Cars
    Cold Beer

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

View PostPhil Carter, on 27 May 2011 - 12:50 AM, said:

Hey stranger! Look forward to seeing you there!!!

#80 Bill Keyes

CBBQA Hall of Fame, Inducted 2013, Pres. Award 2012

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:40 AM

View PostPhil Carter, on 27 May 2011 - 12:50 AM, said:

Hey, it's about time!

Look forward to seeing you guys.

Bill

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users