Jump to content




3rd Annual Way Out West BBQ


166 replies to this topic

#41 Bill Souza

    Forum Nut Job

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Location:Pacifica CA.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

Thanks Ben

#42 Vance Salvador

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Location:Chico, CA
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:07 AM

We're in. I just signed up!!!

#43 Kevin Barteaux

    Forum Nut Job

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Location:Novato, CA
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

Wow Vance, three contest registrations in one day! Wutdidgu do, rob a bank ar somethin'?

#44 Vance Salvador

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Location:Chico, CA
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostKevin Barteaux, on 08 April 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

Wow Vance, three contest registrations in one day! Wutdidgu do, rob a bank ar somethin'?

Haha... Just got bored at work last night and I figured while I was balancing my checkbook, why not fill out some entry forms at the same time.

#45 Ric Gilbert

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Location:San Jose, CA
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

John,

Thank you for bringing up the charitable aspect of these events. Raising money for these worthy charities would not be possible without the continued support of the CBBQA and all the teams that make it happen.

“…and how the event will affect a previously existing contest within an arguably impactful distant from WOW, a contest which I may add whose cause aligns with the whole charter of the CBBQA.” -= John Bracamonte

John, as you know youth programs are very important to me, in fact, my professional life is involved in working with disavatanged kids. I acknowledge and support Bakersfield in their charitable efforts and wish them continued success for such a worthy cause… WOW too, has been and remains a proud supporter of Local youth programs and charities from day one. We look forward to contributing to youth programs again this year.

From the the Downtown Stockton Alliance website.

FOR WHOM WE'RE RAISING MONEY

This event is organized by the Way Out West BBQ Championship and the Downtown Stockton Alliance. The goals of this event are to stimulate the local economy, raise money for area non profits, create a business opportunity for locally owned food service businesses, and to draw visitors to Downtown Stockton. All proceeds from Taste benefit locally owned and operated restaurants, local charities and the improvement of Downtown Stockton. For each $1 tasting ticket that is redeemed at the event, $0.70 goes to the locally owned food business and $0.30 goes to local nonprofit organizations. In the past four years, Taste has donated over $10,000 to local charities and sold over 100,000 tasting tickets.

Edited by Ric Gilbert, 17 April 2011 - 07:50 AM.


#46 John Bracamonte

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Location:San Diego, CA

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

View PostRic Gilbert, on 17 April 2011 - 07:46 AM, said:

John,

Thank you for bringing up the charitable aspect of these events. Raising money for these worthy charities would not be possible without the continued support of the CBBQA and all the teams that make it happen.

“…and how the event will affect a previously existing contest within an arguably impactful distant from WOW, a contest which I may add whose cause aligns with the whole charter of the CBBQA.” -= John Bracamonte

John, as you know youth programs are very important to me, in fact, my professional life is involved in working with disavatanged kids. I acknowledge and support Bakersfield in their charitable efforts and wish them continued success for such a worthy cause… WOW too, has been and remains a proud supporter of Local youth programs and charities from day one. We look forward to contributing to youth programs again this year.

From the the Downtown Stockton Alliance website.

FOR WHOM WE'RE RAISING MONEY

This event is organized by the Way Out West BBQ Championship and the Downtown Stockton Alliance. The goals of this event are to stimulate the local economy, raise money for area non profits, create a business opportunity for locally owned food service businesses, and to draw visitors to Downtown Stockton. All proceeds from Taste benefit locally owned and operated restaurants, local charities and the improvement of Downtown Stockton. For each $1 tasting ticket that is redeemed at the event, $0.70 goes to the locally owned food business and $0.30 goes to local nonprofit organizations. In the past four years, Taste has donated over $10,000 to local charities and sold over 100,000 tasting tickets.

Thanks Ric for familiarizing me with this. I have been on the WOW website a few time and while I was not specifically looking for it, I don't recall seeing anything explaining the charitable aspect of the event.

#47 Ric Gilbert

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Location:San Jose, CA
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

John,
When it comes to the charity work I do I am not a very public person, I tend not to toot my own horn. As a result of this, I sometimes fail to be public enough when it comes to posting information that others may find of interest or value. In this particular case I did not list this on the WOW website but you can find it here: http://www.downtowns...san_joaquin.php
The majority of the events Ben I produce have a charity based component attached to them including Morgan Hill and our new event in Rancho Cordoba. I will ask our webmaster to include this information on our official websites in the future so all of the teams and our wonderful volunteers can see the Value of their contribution.
Thank you,
ric

#48 Bill Bain

    Forum Nut Job

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Location:Roseville, CA
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

I know of Ric's charity work since I cooked with him several times last year. What he won't tell you is that in addition to the money raised for youth programs from his and Ben's events, Ric raised over $20K for youth programs last year, much of the money was donated in the name of the CBBQA. And that doesn't even include the time he just donates to an event to help them.

Ric got a bunch of CBBQA cooks to drive over to Gilroy, a 4 hour ride for a lot of us, and we cooked over 100 turkey's for the needy at Thanksgiving a couple years ago. I also cooked with Ric at a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser and he also came out to help cook a 600 steak dinner for the VA retirement home with me. All these cooks were done by CBQA cooks, organized by Ric in order to give back to the community in the name of CBBQA.

I have found over the years that the true supporters of charity and youth programs don't ring their own bell and Ric is certainly not a bell ringer.

#49 Vance Salvador

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Location:Chico, CA
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

Any way we can get an updated team list because I know there are more than 11 teams doing it?

#50 Matt Dalton

    Needs to Get a Life

  • CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

Since nobody has said this yet..LETS GET TO Qnnn!!!!!!!..cant wait for Morgan Hill!

#51 Dave Rusko

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Location:Mountain View, CA.
  • Interests:NASCAR and Sprint car racing
    Amateur Radio
    Fire Fighting
    Computers
    Electronics Technology
    Classic cars

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

So...Who else can't wait for May!!!! I remember way back in the day we did't have to worry about WHICH competition we were going to. We were just thankful that we had 3 or 4 sanctioned California comps during the spring/summer season. Flash forward a scant 5 years and now we've got 6 just in the month of May!!!!

What a huge growth the CBBQA has experienced in such a short time. I used to be able to remember every teams name, all the team members and where they were from. Now it seems like every competition is like the first day of school. All of these new people to meet!

As we all remember, growing pains hurt like heck when they are happening. The cool thing is, they don't last too long.

BoD, TOY directors, Promoters, and members. Thank you so much for your passion, diligence, tenacity, and effort. We will become even stronger because of it.

Now.... Who's ready to dawn that PETA shirt and BRING IT!!! (For those newbies.... PETA=People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

See you all in Stockton! Are we there yet? :yahoo:

Dave and Ezzy Rusko

#52 Adam Hollman

    Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Location:Gilroy
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

Huminie's Hogalicious BBQ is signed up for WoW and we look forward to competing in this PNWBA event.

BTW, now that the PNWBA has been CBBQA approved as a ToY sanctioning body, can we get the PNWBA forum back? It disappeared a few weeks back and was helpful for discussing PNWBA specific issues. Thank you.

#53 Adam Hollman

    Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Location:Gilroy
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

Also, I think this is the last day for early bird entrance fees, so the time to sign up is now! :thumbsup:

#54 Ben Lobenstein

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Location:San Francisco, CA

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

View PostVance Salvador, on 22 April 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

Any way we can get an updated team list because I know there are more than 11 teams doing it?
Wiki updated.

#55 Vance Salvador

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Location:Chico, CA
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

View PostBen Lobenstein, on 25 April 2011 - 11:34 AM, said:

Wiki updated.

What about turn in times, I didn't see anything about them?

#56 Adam Hollman

    Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Location:Gilroy
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

View PostVance Salvador, on 25 April 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

What about turn in times, I didn't see anything about them?

I think we are still waiting for the final verdict on that (where did that poll thread go?). It seemed like most people wanted the 1 hour windows the PNWBA uses in order to get feedback from the judges, but folks seemed to want to leave the turn in order the way they are more accustomed too. Not sure what the final verdict is/was/will be though.

I would like to see this stick as close as possible to a PNWBA event, and would be ok with the order staying more "traditional"

#57 David Schmidt

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

View PostVance Salvador, on 25 April 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

What about turn in times, I didn't see anything about them?

Good point. It would be nice to know the schedule soon as possible. We’d like to get in at least one practice with the PNW timing. And, yes, that’s not a mistake, we DO practice…you can wipe those surprised looks off you’re your faces.

#58 Dave Rusko

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Location:Mountain View, CA.
  • Interests:NASCAR and Sprint car racing
    Amateur Radio
    Fire Fighting
    Computers
    Electronics Technology
    Classic cars

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

All right!!! Three more weeks!! Can't wait!

Ben/Ric - Thanks for arranging for teams to load in early on Friday. That will make it a lot easier on the teams that have to go work the mines Friday to make a days pay THEN load up and head out to the competition.

See ya all there!

Dave and Ezzy

Edited by Dave Rusko, 29 April 2011 - 04:21 PM.


#59 Vance Salvador

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Location:Chico, CA
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 25 April 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

I think we are still waiting for the final verdict on that (where did that poll thread go?). It seemed like most people wanted the 1 hour windows the PNWBA uses in order to get feedback from the judges, but folks seemed to want to leave the turn in order the way they are more accustomed too. Not sure what the final verdict is/was/will be though.

I would like to see this stick as close as possible to a PNWBA event, and would be ok with the order staying more "traditional"


Saw this on the WoW website... Turn in times begin @ 11am (on Saturday May 21), at 30 minute intervals. I'm guessing using the standard chicken, ribs, pork, brisket order.

#60 Scott Hares

    Needs to Get a Life

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  • Location:San Jose

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

View PostVance Salvador, on 08 May 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

Saw this on the WoW website... Turn in times begin @ 11am (on Saturday May 21), at 30 minute intervals. I'm guessing using the standard chicken, ribs, pork, brisket order.
That was before the PNWBA end-run. Please disregard for the time being.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users