Jump to content




3rd Annual Way Out West BBQ


166 replies to this topic

#21 Sylvie Curry

    Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

Great news. Congrats on continuing this event. Maybe i'll make it up north to and event someday.

#22 scott bertken

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Location:tracy
  • Interests:harleys smoking meat racing and hunting what else is there

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

great news thats sweet

#23 Perry Mattingly

    What can I say I like it here

  • Registered User
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

I have a question concerning PC. Does the samples need to be one of the 4 comp meats or can you give out something like BBQ beans?

#24 scott bertken

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Location:tracy
  • Interests:harleys smoking meat racing and hunting what else is there

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

perry ad some rib tips into the beans we did that last yr.. ok we made the beans from scratch and added rib meat and are rub and bbq sauce but sure

#25 Kevin Barteaux

    Forum Nut Job

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Location:Novato, CA
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

View PostPerry Mattingly, on 03 March 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

I have a question concerning PC. Does the samples need to be one of the 4 comp meats or can you give out something like BBQ beans?
Depends on the event...

#26 Ric Gilbert

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Location:San Jose, CA
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

View PostPerry Mattingly, on 03 March 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

I have a question concerning PC. Does the samples need to be one of the 4 comp meats or can you give out something like BBQ beans?

Be as creative as you want. In fact, we encourage it.

Samples from the past:

pig candy
ABT's
Armidillo Eggs
Chili
Stuffed potatos
pulled pork nachos
pork sundaes

PC is a huge part of this event. That's why the people come. They want to talk with you, eat your bbq, cheer you on and try to get a tip or two out of you. Oh yeah,the killer live music and cold beer, too.

#27 Thom Emery

    Pres. CBBQA 2007

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts
  • Location:Indio Ca
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

PC is a huge part of this event. That's why the people come. They want to talk with you, eat your bbq, cheer you on and try to get a tip or two out of you. Oh yeah,the killer live music and cold beer, too. Amen



#28 Kevin Barteaux

    Forum Nut Job

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Location:Novato, CA
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

Benric-

I didn't PC at this event last year, so I have a few questions if you don't mind...

Can we combine tickets to create larger priced items?
Can we sell beverages?
How many sample tickets were sold at WOW last year?
Does the amount of tickets sold determine the PC winner?
What are the PC hours?
Will the same rules be applied at Morgan Hill?

Inquiring minds want to know..[

Edited by Kevin Barteaux, 04 March 2011 - 01:44 PM.


#29 Adam Hollman

    Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Location:Gilroy
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

Kevin...do you have a template saved for asking PC questions? :p

#30 Ric Gilbert

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Location:San Jose, CA
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

View PostKevin Barteaux, on 04 March 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Benric-

I didn't PC at this event last year, so I have a few questions if you don't mind...

Can we combine tickets to create larger priced items?
Can we sell beverages?
How many sample tickets were sold at WOW last year?
Does the amount of tickets sold determine the PC winner?
What are the PC hours?
Will the same rules be applied at Morgan Hill?

Inquiring minds want to know..[

Dang, dude!!!

Tickets: Sold in packets of 20, each with a $1.00 value. Last year Items sold for $2,4 & 6. This year they would also like to see $1.00 items added to the mix.

You cannot sell beverages

Sample tickets sold last year: approx. 25K Expecting 20-25% increase in attendance this year.

PC is determined by how many "PC Vote" tickets you turn-in. Each packet of tasting tickets sold contains one PC Vote ticket. The attendees will give the PC ticket to the bbq team they like best. The team with the most PC tickets...wins.

PC hours: Gates open at 11:30am and close at 6:00pm. PC vote tickets will be turned in at 4:00 ( I believe ) but pc sales can contiue until closing.

Morgan Hill Rules: check each events website for information. WoW's site will be up very soon.

Ben, did I get all of that right?

#31 Jon Davis

    Forum Problem Child

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Location:Antioch Ca

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

"Last year Items sold for $2,4 & 6."
There were also items being sold in different amounts... 3 and 5. Last years PC was crazy,(in a good way) ive never cooked and sold so much at a contest before. Im not sure how many samples i actually sold, but it was a lot.

#32 Perry Mattingly

    What can I say I like it here

  • Registered User
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

Ric, one more question for PC (for now). What portion size for the $2, $4, $6 and $1.

#33 Kevin Barteaux

    Forum Nut Job

  • Registered User
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Location:Novato, CA
  • Interests:Anything to do with Cal Bears Football and Basketball, Fishing, and Barbecue.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

View PostRic Gilbert, on 04 March 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

Dang, dude!!!

Tickets: Sold in packets of 20, each with a $1.00 value. Last year Items sold for $2,4 & 6. This year they would also like to see $1.00 items added to the mix.

You cannot sell beverages

Sample tickets sold last year: approx. 25K Expecting 20-25% increase in attendance this year.

PC is determined by how many "PC Vote" tickets you turn-in. Each packet of tasting tickets sold contains one PC Vote ticket. The attendees will give the PC ticket to the bbq team they like best. The team with the most PC tickets...wins.

PC hours: Gates open at 11:30am and close at 6:00pm. PC vote tickets will be turned in at 4:00 ( I believe ) but pc sales can contiue until closing.

Morgan Hill Rules: check each events website for information. WoW's site will be up very soon.

Ben, did I get all of that right?

Thanks!

I meant to ask if the PC rules will be the same between WOW and No Bull. Is that true?

#34 Ric Gilbert

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Location:San Jose, CA
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

View PostJon Davis, on 04 March 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

"Last year Items sold for $2,4 & 6."
There were also items being sold in different amounts... 3 and 5. Last years PC was crazy,(in a good way) ive never cooked and sold so much at a contest before. Im not sure how many samples i actually sold, but it was a lot.

I stand corrected. Thank you, Jon.

You have to look at WoW as a BBQ event always in transition. For the most part, it is shaped by the cookers feedback.

Edited by Ric Gilbert, 05 March 2011 - 12:24 PM.


#35 Ric Gilbert

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2009

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Location:San Jose, CA
  • Interests:Harleys, gourmet cooking, live music, reading, event promoting, charity work and most of all...my family

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

View PostKevin Barteaux, on 04 March 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

Thanks!

I meant to ask if the PC rules will be the same between WOW and No Bull. Is that true?

As far as the voting goes, yes. If anyone has a better way to do this, I would love to hear about it.

#36 Ben Lobenstein

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts
  • Location:San Francisco, CA

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

View PostKevin Barteaux, on 04 March 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

Thanks!

I meant to ask if the PC rules will be the same between WOW and No Bull. Is that true?

Sorry going to use the I've been sick excuse here, could you be more specific?

#37 Ben Lobenstein

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts
  • Location:San Francisco, CA

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

Team and Judging signup forms have been posted.

$6k in prize $, reasonable entry fee, no extra charge for power, 2x 20# bags ice included, no EHD permit forms or FEES, 65% payback on PC tickets. One of the best venues around (many spaces are on grass) and great music to boot!

This event also raises funds for local charities.

#38 Vance Salvador

    Forum Problem Child

  • Registered User
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Location:Chico, CA
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:58 AM

A week and a half left on the early bird entry. I'll be signing up on my next paycheck.

#39 Bill Souza

    Forum Nut Job

  • CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Location:Pacifica CA.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

does anybody know what the prize pool is on this one

#40 Ben Lobenstein

    CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

  • CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts
  • Location:San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostBill Souza, on 21 March 2011 - 05:29 PM, said:

does anybody know what the prize pool is on this one
Posted on the wiki ;)





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users