CBJ Classes

11 replies to this topic

#1 Pat Kennealy

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Looking forward to becoming a BBQ Judge and am interested in taking the next step by going for the CBJ Course. Closest thing I see coming up are two down in AZ early next year.

With the increase in CA team counts and participation, I was hoping there would be at least one local. Maybe two, one North and one South?

Anyone know if there are plans for a class? Would this be a good item to hold during the "off season"? I would be more than happy to help make that happen if we need someone to do so. (Have no idea what that entails, but I'm game if someone can point me in the right direction).

Any others interested in taking a class? North or South? Maybe if we get enough hands raised it will help the decision making process....

Thanks,
Pat

#2 K & K MacIntosh

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2010

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

View PostPat Kennealy, on 07 October 2010 - 02:14 PM, said:

Looking forward to becoming a BBQ Judge and am interested in taking the next step by going for the CBJ Course. Closest thing I see coming up are two down in AZ early next year.

With the increase in CA team counts and participation, I was hoping there would be at least one local. Maybe two, one North and one South?

Anyone know if there are plans for a class? Would this be a good item to hold during the "off season"? I would be more than happy to help make that happen if we need someone to do so. (Have no idea what that entails, but I'm game if someone can point me in the right direction).

Any others interested in taking a class? North or South? Maybe if we get enough hands raised it will help the decision making process....

Thanks,
Pat
I don't know about California but there is one in AZ in Tucson on October 28th, 2010 at a really nice resort. Info on the KCBS site...

Kelly

#3 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

I am very interested and I know I could get several other people to join in as well.

#4 Donna Fong

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:58 AM

View PostAdam Hollman, on 07 October 2010 - 03:00 PM, said:

I am very interested and I know I could get several other people to join in as well.

I met a Beef Ambassador on my way back from Kansas City and she would also be interested in a CBJ class in northern California.

#5 David Duarte

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:biking,kayaking,cooking,spending time with the family

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

we have talked about it here too. (Redding) We have at least ten that we know of that would participate.

#6 mark evenson

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, Artisan pizza

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

I am only one, but would love to attend a local, no calif, judging class.

Mark

#7 Pat Kennealy

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

Wow, looks like lots of interest, glad to hear it. I will see if I can find out from the KCBS folks how to go about organizing one.

#8 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,150 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:55 PM

PM Gene He can get you scheduled

#9 Pat Kennealy

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Thom, will do.

#10 Bill Bain

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:CBJ
    Kilted Pig BBQ Team
    'Life's too short to drink cheap liquor or eat bad BBQ"

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

I think we will do another CBJ class in Sacramento like we did this year. I'll keep everyone informed.

#11 Pat Kennealy

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:35 AM

View PostBill Bain, on 13 October 2010 - 03:45 PM, said:

I think we will do another CBJ class in Sacramento like we did this year. I'll keep everyone informed.

Bill, Want to team up and do one big one? Don't know that we need a second one if you already have one planned. Or do you think we do/should have two?

Pat

Edited by Pat Kennealy, 21 October 2010 - 06:36 AM.

#12 Guest_Skip Ramsden_*

• Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

KCBS CERTIFIED JUDGE'S CLASS

Instructors: Gene Goycochea & Merl Whitebook

Class Date: Thursday February 24th, 2011
Time: 6 – 10 P.M.
Where: BBQ Bill’s Big Easy Bistro
3557 Maricopa Avenue
LHC, AZ. 86406

For Additional Info Call Skip:
(928) 680-3815 OR HAVABBQ.COM

At our first class in February of 2010, we had an incredible 65 people take our class. Now many are returning to be judges at HAVA BBQ this year in 2011. If you are interested PLEASE SIGN-UP EARLY, space is limited to first 65.

As part of your class you will receive instruction in KCBS scoring, procedures, allowed and disallowed display techniques, new rules for 2010, and actual scoring (while eating!) sample entries in all four KCBS categories. After scoring each meat, scores will be discussed and you will receive feed back that will help you to more systematically score entries and understand the process. If you are a new competitor, get some real insights into what constitutes a winning entry in the judge’s eyes, and what they are looking for.

Judges will learn to examine several criteria’s during the blind judging process: Appearance, Tenderness and Taste. Judges will discover how the spices (dry rubs) and sauces (wet, if used) should compliment their meats rather than overpower the taste of the meat. As well as a variety of presentation styles relating to competition Turn In Boxes.

Class Cost:

Current KCBS Members: $60.00 Class Fee

Non KCBS Members: $90.00 Class Fee (Includes 1 Yr. Membership to KCBS)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users