Holding Suggestions for Tri-Tip

10 replies to this topic

#1 Ezra Wright

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

Hi Gang. This weekend I will be grilling tri-tip for around 60 to 70 people. I've grilled for 50 before but found myself cooking and slicing the whole night. I think the problem was I only had one small grill going so it was difficult to get enough finished meat ready all at once for everyone's first round.

I would like any suggestions on ensuring most of the meat is ready around the same time. I have a medium sized Santa Maria grill (30x20) and a New Braunfels offset smoker (a real one, not the Char-Broil one) that I plan to use. The idea I had was to hold the meat for a short time at a low temp in the smoker to get some good smoke flavor in there, then move it to the grill when grub time is getting closer. I would use the SM grill at a pretty high heat so I can get a nice crust on the outside, then move the over to the lower temp side. Afterward I was thinking to move the un-sliced roasts back to the smoker to keep warm without further cooking them too much as I complete more roasts. I figured this would be the best way as there are lots of people to feed and I'm working with a relatively small grill for the job. I was thinking the smoker temp should not be much more than 150.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced guys!

-Ezra

#2 Dave & Deny Bart

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:waterskiing, snowskiing, camping, cooking, wine tasting, and just plain enjoying life!

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Very easy. Cook your tri-tips to an enternal temp of 125*, then put them in an ice chest, with no ice of course. They will hold for up to an hour without any problem. If you put them in a smoker, even at low heat, they will end up cooking too much. Just use an ice chest that is about the same size that all the roasts will fill up. Once you have cooked all the roasts, you will have a load of wonderful beef juice you can dip the meat in. If you have a Cambro, you can just put the roasts in a hotel pan and put them in the Cambro. I do this for catering all the time. It's nice to have all the meat ready, then just pull it out and slice it as needed. Hope this helps, and good luck.

#3 Bill Keyes

CBBQA Hall of Fame, Inducted 2013, Pres. Award 2012

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:11 AM

What Dave & Deny said. That is what I do, I will be doing the same this weekend, cooking for 50.
Even if I only cook 1 Tri-tip, I like to wrap it in foil and let it sit for an 45 minutes to an hour before I slice it.

Good luck,
Bill

#4 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

Sear em up good and then raise them up to cook slowly from there. Once they hit 125, as mentioned, get them off and resting. A cooler is a good idea, but a large pot will do well too. Let them rest for at least an hour.

#5 Rick Renaud

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

Everyone has the right ideas. We use 25 gallon pots that we had insulating jackets made to keep the heat in. We always remove at a low temp and let sit for about an hour. The sitting time will allow the juices to re-distribute back into the meat and bring the meat up to a perfect serving temp.

#6 david schmidt

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

BTW, if you're interested you can rent a #4 or #6 Cambro for about $20 for the weekend from your local party rental spot. (I guess you could do that even if you were not interested but that wouldn't make a lot of sense. huh?) :D

Good luck!

#7 Ezra Wright

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be trying the wrap and rest method. I will have to dig up a container since I'm sure most of the coolers will be going for drinks. I will let you know how everything turns out...

#8 Adam Hollman

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Barbeque, Motorcycles (VTX1300), Cigars, Beer, Wine, Hockey (Go Sharks!)

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

How did it go?

#9 Vincent Carrocci

CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

I've been wondering about that too. Hopefully it worked out.

#10 Dennis McGrath

Forum Irregular

• CBBQA Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, BEER, & STAR WARS!!!!!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:07 AM

Thank you for posting this information. I catered a wedding for 100 people last weekend and the tri tip came out great. It also gave me more free time to work on the other meats
Thanks again!

#11 Ezra Wright

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hi Guys,
Thanks again for all the suggestions on this again. I haven't been on the forums for a while. The event went great. i did a sort of combo of things suggested, plus what I had on hand. I ended up searing most of the meat and leaving it a little underdone. After that I wrapped and placed it in the smoker with barely any heat and the lid cracked. Mostly all of the meat was spot on when it was slicing time. This ended up keeping the meat warm enough, but I didn't like the amount of juices that were running out. I know having rest in the cooler would have fixed that.

Were I to do it again I would be much more prepared and follow your suggestions for the wrap and rest in a cooler.

Thanks again guys...

-Ezra

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users