The 2010 California State "Jack" Draw

51 replies to this topic

#41 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

I just pulled into Lynchburg, and I'm already parked in my spot & setting up camp...I'm not leavin'!

#42 Robert Diaz

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, dogs, poker and mixed martial arts (MMA)

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

View PostDarry Smith, on 05 September 2010 - 10:27 PM, said:

I just pulled into Lynchburg, and I'm already parked in my spot & setting up camp...I'm not leavin'!

SWEET! Can I come too? Good luck to you brother.

#43 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

You show up and I'm putting you to work, cause there's lots of stuff I hate to do-LOL

#44 Rick Renaud

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:33 AM

View PostVincent Carrocci, on 05 September 2010 - 09:55 PM, said:

Rick, I think the extreme example you give here clearly illustrates that it is not the number of teams that compete in a contest but rather the number of teams that turn in that matters. However, that having been said, the number of teams competing at the Albuquerque IBCA contest was never really the issue. I was at that contest and I, along with every other team that was in attendance at the awards ceremony, witnessed two major irregularities in IBCA protocol.

If the "true overall results of the contest are not reflected", how can this contest be considered as a qualifier?

Yet, Jack qualified it as a good contest!

#45 Vincent Carrocci

CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

So it would seem. They rely on information from teams, sanctioning bodies and organizers of unsanctioned events all over the country. I would estimate that in excess of 500 contests need to be verified in the two weeks prior to the draw and who knows what kind of format the information is in when the people at Jack Daniel receive it. I imagine it is a laborious task to sift through all of that data and mistakes are made on both ends. In fact, this year certain states did not have their Home State Reps listed on the initial draw results on Friday and it was later corrected. I also recall that in either 2008 or 2009 a team who had received an invitation to the contest was discovered to have submitted their entry based upon a contest that did not meet the qualifying criteria and their invitation was withdrawn.

Mistakes are made every year and they are usually corrected.

#46 John Hilgeman

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

Good luck Smitty!!!!

John

#47 Dave & Deny Bart

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:waterskiing, snowskiing, camping, cooking, wine tasting, and just plain enjoying life!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

Good luck Smitty, and post some pictures when you have the time.

#48 Harry Soo

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

Congrats Smitty! Let's show them that California teams can hold our own against the best at the Jack! :clapping:

#49 Garry Howard

New to this forum

• 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

View PostBenny Adauto, on 03 September 2010 - 06:25 PM, said:

Hi All,

I'll try to explain how SYD was included. Yes, SYD did win 7 GCs with the ABQ event quite controversial to say the least. Even the team was not sure if it would count or not and that is why we went to Clearlake. It was not until after reviewing the application from the Jack people did we realize that a large misperception (on everyone's part,including SYD) had occurred.

Bullet 5 states, the contest must have a min of 25 teams competing and a state proclaimation. The official IBCA website shows the contest had 27 teams. So, that made the contest an official qualifier.

The general bbq population believes that a contest must have at least 25 turn-ins of all required meats. That is a misconception. The Jack current Jack rule (bullet 2) indicates only the GC had to have cooked all the required meats. Only by reading the language in the Jack application would the general bbq population realize that. That was the misconception that we all were working under and why SYD went to Clearlake.

I hope that helps to explain it.

Benny

Explain this, posted by Lynn from IBCA on the Monday after the contest:

"The decision has been made and parties notified that due to the circumstances of errors made by the IBCA rep and Promoter that this event didn't have the qualifying number of trays turn-in to make it a qualifying State Championship. The Grand Champion, Harry Soo, has been contacted and said that he understood completely."

Why were you "unsure if it would count or not". You knew that the contest wasn't a qualifier on June 29 yet you submitted it to Jack Daniel's anyway hoping they wouldn't notice. Apparently you guys feel that if you don't like the rules, or the way something turns out, you can just bend the rules to suit yourself. I wish I knew back then what I know now. I would have handled the situation quite differently.

Garry

#50 Stephan Franklin

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

Yawn! Give it a rest! :rolleyes2:

#51 Jon Davis

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

seriously....

#52 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

This is a touchy subject and I'd like everyone to be sure that all comments are in keeping with both the letter and the spirit of the forum rules. Just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood mod.

Thanks!

Matt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users