The 2010 California State "Jack" Draw

51 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent Carrocci

CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

The qualifying season for the 2010 Jack Daniel's Invitational World Championship comes to an end on August 31st so I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at all of the qualifying contests for this season (09/01/09 to Present) and see who is in the California state draw and for which contest.

Before listing the contests and teams, here's how the draw works: On draw day, (I think it will be Thursday, September 2), the folks at Jack Daniel's will put a number on a whiskey barrel bung (that's the stopper that plugs up the barrel) for each contest winner. If a team has more than one contest win in the state, they'll have as many bungs in the hopper as they have wins in the state. They'll toss the bungs around for a while and then they'll reach in and draw out a single bung and the team that corresponds to the number on the bung will be the winner of the California state draw.

OK, here are the contests listed with Date - City - Grand Champion

09/06/09 - Lakeport - Smokin' Yankees
09/19/09 - Clovis - Smitty's Smoke Patrol
10/04/09 - Lancaster - QN4U
10/17/09 - Viejas - Piggy D's BBQ
04/10/10 - Hesperia - 155 South Bar-B-Q
04/17/10 - Wildomar - Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ
04/25/10 - Indio - Lotta Bull West aka All Sauced Up
05/08/10 - Morgan Hill - Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ
05/22/10 - Bakersfield - All Sauced Up
06/05/10 - Penn Valley - Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ
06/12/10 - Costa Mesa - Rib Ticklers
06/26/10 - Santa Maria - Santa Ynez BBQ
07/03/10 - Stockton - Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ
07/31/10 - Vista - Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ
08/14/10 - Valley Center - TBD
08/28/10 - Clearlake - TBD

By my count, that makes 16 contests that qualify for the Jack draw in California. We have 14 contests in the book and 2 more to go. Here's how it breaks down by team:

5 Bungs - Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ
2 Bungs - All Sauced Up
1 Bung - Smokin' Yankees
1 Bung - Smitty's Smoke Patrol
1 Bung - QN4U
1 Bung - Piggy D's BBQ
1 Bung - 155 South Bar-B-Q
1 Bung - Rib Ticklers
1 Bung - Santa Ynez

2 Bungs Yet To Be Determined

Now, as some of you know, there are a few special rules that Jack Daniel's has regarding ways for a team to "automatically" qualify for the contest. One of those is by winning 7 qualifying contests within a single year. As you can see, Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ has a chance to do that but they will have to win two more contests by the end of August. (They have actually won 6 GCs this year but the Albuquerque contest was short a team so it wasn't a qualifier.) I'm not sure but I think the only contests they have left on their schedule are Valley Center and Clearlake so they'll have to "win out" in order to make "Old No. 7" and get the automatic entry. What happens to the California state draw if they do get 7 qualifiers? I'll tell you in the next paragraph.

If Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ gets 7 qualifying GCs by the end of August, they will be removed from the California state draw and the contests they won will no longer have a bung in the hopper. That means the odds of being drawn for the rest of the teams will greatly improve as 7 of the 16 contests will no longer be in the mix. All Sauced Up would then have a 2 in 9 chance of being drawn and the rest of the teams would have a 1 in 9 chance of being drawn. That's a lot better than 2 in 16 or 1 in 16! But I don't expect that any of the teams at either of those contests are going to be doing anything less than their best to either get into the draw themselves or to win another and improve their odds that way.

This is a really exciting time of the year as teams are working hard to get into draws and to win automatic entries and, as you can see from the example above, one team getting in automatically can really impact a bunch of other teams. And it all changes every week during the month of August. Keep an eye on this thread for updates and post any questions you have about how this all works. I'm sure we can find answers to anything that puzzles you. Also, I'm pretty sure I got all the contests but if I missed one, post it here and I'll edit this post to reflect the correct information.

#2 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

We need those "thanks" buttons

#3 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

Is a team atomatically entered (the draw) or do we have to submit our team?

#4 Vincent Carrocci

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

View PostDarry Smith, on 02 August 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

Is a team automatically entered (the draw) or do we have to submit our team?

Good question. The people at The Jack will begin sending draw submission paperwork to the currently qualified teams early this month (August). If you are interested in coming to The Jack, you will need to fill out the form and then mail or fax it back to them. You will not be entered into the draw unless you return the draw submission form back to Jack Daniel's. The sample odds I listed in the first post are based upon all teams who qualify for the draw actually returning their draw submission form.

#5 Harry Soo

Forum Nut Job

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the good info and thorough analysis Vince!

#6 Vincent Carrocci

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

You're welcome!

#7 Henry Silvestre

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:29 AM

Vince or anyone out there.. Since Rosarito, Mexico is not in California does it mean that Mexico or Baja California North (the Mexican State) gets one
bung, and one bung only? Meaning the Winner gets an AUTO Jack qualifier?

#8 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:57 AM

Henry Call the folks at the Jack

#9 Scottie Johnson

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

I am not sure how they would work the All Smoked Up bungs. They used to make them have to declare which one they wanted in the draw. I hope they don't get messed over because of that. Not sure if they have changed that, but I can't figure they have. I know of teams that had to cook under their old team name, after they changed their name in the new year. Because they won the GC under the old team name.

As for Rosarita. If anyone from the states win. Their bung would go in the state draw for their state. ie if a California team wins, then it goes into the California draw.

#10 Vincent Carrocci

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:59 AM

View PostHenry Silvestre, on 03 August 2010 - 04:29 AM, said:

Vince or anyone out there.. Since Rosarito, Mexico is not in California does it mean that Mexico or Baja California North (the Mexican State) gets one
bung, and one bung only? Meaning the Winner gets an AUTO Jack qualifier?

According to the Jack Daniel's qualifying contest criteria, if a US based team wins an International event, that team will receive an entry into their home state's draw. So, as Scottie said, if a California team wins in Rosarito, they will be entered into the California state draw. I believe it is only an "automatic" contest for the International teams that are entered.

#11 Vincent Carrocci

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

I had the opportunity to speak with Judy in the Jack Daniel's Invitational office today and she told me that they will likely begin mailing out the draw submission form packages early in the week of August 9th. They have a huge task of compiling all the contest data that is submitted to them from KCBS, IBCA, FBA, PNWBA, etc. and they'll be working on it all this week. She said they will receive updated information from the contests remaining for August and send out any addtional packages as necessary.

#12 Vincent Carrocci

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Since there is a team in the California state draw that is not a California based team, (Piggy D's is out of Washington), there is another way that a California team could get invited to The Jack. That is via what is known as the Home State Rep draw and it has been used in the past. What follows is how that could come into play.

One of the participation goals that Jack Daniel's wants to achieve is having a Grand Champion in the contest from every state in the nation. The possibility exists that Piggy D's could win the California state draw and, if that were to happen, California could be left without a team in the contest that had gone through the state draw system of selecting teams. Having "gone through the state draw system" is an important distinction because as of this posting, Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ still has the chance to win 7 GCs and gain an automatic entry into the contest. I know it seems obvious but keep in mind that that would mean they did not go through the state draw system. So, regardless of whether or not they get 7 GCs, if Piggy D's wins the California state draw, there would not be a California based team that got into the contest through the state draw system.

If that happens, Jack Daniel's would hold what is called a Home State Rep draw for California and every California based team that was in the draw would be given a single bung in the hopper, regardless of how many GCs they had earned during the year. They would then draw one bung and that team would then be invited as the California Home State Rep.

Remember, the Home State Rep draw can only happen if no California based team gets into the contest through the normal state draw system. As far as I know, no California based team has won a qualifying contest outside the state of California so far this season so the California state draw is the only state draw where a California based team can get in right now.

#13 David Bouska

What can I say I like it here

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

Vincent you have to much time on your hands. :yes:

#14 John Chips

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

And to think I was just doin this stuff for fun!

NUTZ

#15 Vincent Carrocci

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

View PostDavid Bouska, on 04 August 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

Vincent you have to much time on your hands. Posted Image

Guilty as charged.

#16 Donna Fong

CBBQA Hall of Fame, Inducted 2015

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

But there's a possibility that Slap Yo' Daddy might get in on the draw for New Mexico, right? Because they won the 2010 New Mexico State BBQ Championship. So actually they have four different ways of getting in. NM draw, CA draw, automatic entry with 7 GC and possible home state rep draw, right?

Donna

View PostVincent Carrocci, on 04 August 2010 - 12:23 PM, said:

Since there is a team in the California state draw that is not a California based team, (Piggy D's is out of Washington), there is another way that a California team could get invited to The Jack. That is via what is known as the Home State Rep draw and it has been used in the past. What follows is how that could come into play.

One of the participation goals that Jack Daniel's wants to achieve is having a Grand Champion in the contest from every state in the nation. The possibility exists that Piggy D's could win the California state draw and, if that were to happen, California could be left without a team in the contest that had gone through the state draw system of selecting teams. Having "gone through the state draw system" is an important distinction because as of this posting, Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ still has the chance to win 7 GCs and gain an automatic entry into the contest. I know it seems obvious but keep in mind that that would mean they did not go through the state draw system. So, regardless of whether or not they get 7 GCs, if Piggy D's wins the California state draw, there would not be a California based team that got into the contest through the state draw system.

If that happens, Jack Daniel's would hold what is called a Home State Rep draw for California and every California based team that was in the draw would be given a single bung in the hopper, regardless of how many GCs they had earned during the year. They would then draw one bung and that team would then be invited as the California Home State Rep.

Remember, the Home State Rep draw can only happen if no California based team gets into the contest through the normal state draw system. As far as I know, no California based team has won a qualifying contest outside the state of California so far this season so the California state draw is the only state draw where a California based team can get in right now.

#17 Vincent Carrocci

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

View PostDonna Fong, on 04 August 2010 - 09:47 PM, said:

But there's a possibility that Slap Yo' Daddy might get in on the draw for New Mexico, right? Because they won the 2010 New Mexico State BBQ Championship. So actually they have four different ways of getting in. NM draw, CA draw, automatic entry with 7 GC and possible home state rep draw, right?

Donna

No. As I said in an earlier post, the New Mexico contest that Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ won earlier this year was not a qualifier. According to the sanctioning body, IBCA, the contest did not meet the minimum team requirement of 25 so while it stands as a victory it does not factor into the Jack draw.

#18 Rick Hamilton

Hello

• 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

OK...All great info. Thank you. I heard there is also a "losers" draw. All those that were entered that did not have their bung pulled go into the hopper for one more pull. Is that true or...?

#19 Vincent Carrocci

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

Yes, Rick, that is correct. I think they call it a Wild Card or Last Chance Draw.

All teams that were in the draw but were not selected are put into the same hopper and one final bung is drawn and that team is invited.

#20 Sylvie Curry

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

Interesting scenarios. Thank goodness the rules and regs are in place to assure we(California)are all objectively represented.

The "Jack" is an exciting, prestigious event that I could only dream to experience. Good luck to whoever represents California as I know you will represent well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users