what are some good, championship rubs, to order?

26 replies to this topic

#21 Ryan Chester

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostAbel Tirre, on 26 March 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

I wanted to try the Rub Co rub, but to get 5 lbs it's gonna cost over $100. Not sure if this is the going price for rub since I usually just make my own, but I can say at that price it's going to cost more than the meat :(

You can pick up our rubs up at Brees Meats in Garden Grove or at CA Pellet Grills in Anaheim Hills. I’m guessing you are referring to buying enough bottles to equal 5 lbs. when you say 5 lbs. would cost over $100. If that is the case, you are probably be correct. If you follow us on Facebook, we let everyone know when we are going to have them in bulk. You can save lots of money.

#22 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I almost do all my shopping online since I spend 10-12 hours a day in front of a pc and gas prices are through the roof. So far I put in an order for simply Marvelous that has a 7lb sampler pack for $64.99 with shipping it will be around $11 per lb.

I also ordered a 2lb bag for each of the TexasBBQ rubs for $67 shipping which comes out to a $8.30 a lb.

Ryan I would love to try out your rub, but at $20 per lb It's just a bit out of my price range especially when everyone else is about half the price.

#23 John Kelly

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

One of the many topics Chef Paul Kirk covered at his recent BBQ class held in Los Gatos was how to construct your own BBQ rub. The subject was covered in-depth. One of the class members recommended Spice Barn as a source for excellent quality spices at a good price. After checking other sites online, I found Spice Barn has very competitive prices. I recently ordered spices from Spice Barn and am very pleased with their speedy delivery and the freshness of their spices. Here is the link for those who may be interested:

http://www.spicebarn.com/

#24 Shayne Pharis

Forum Problem Child

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:cooking, guitar, camping and most important family

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Just ordered three different kids of simply marvelous and money! i'm still a TEXASBBQ fan though.. they're rub is very good.

#25 Stephan Franklin

President

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

We hope you enjoy the product, Shayne.

#26 Steve Wilson

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Interests:Sponsors:
    Fast Eddy Smokers by Cookshack, Q-Pellets, Brandt Beef, Dizzy Pig

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostJohn Kelly, on 13 February 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

This may be off-topic, but what suggestions do you experienced competitors have as far as making your own BBQ rub?

JK
Making your own rub is a harder than its sounds. Homemade rubs are expensive to develope and may only satisfy one or two of the comp meats. The commercial rub makers spend big bucks putting together the best spices and flavors and do the testing to bring their rubs to the competition community. I suggest trying as many rubs as you can and then narrow the field of rubs to the ones you like. I have heard of people layering their rubs (2 or more rubs) to create multiple profiles of flavor. It's a game with in the game. I have a shelf in the garage, with 50 different rubs on it. I'm sure, somewhere up there is the combination I need to win, and I'll enjoy every rib or piece of brisket til I get it right.

#27 Abel Tirre

CBBQA ToY Commissioner

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Interests:To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostSteve Wilson, on 13 May 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Making your own rub is a harder than its sounds. Homemade rubs are expensive to develope and may only satisfy one or two of the comp meats. The commercial rub makers spend big bucks putting together the best spices and flavors and do the testing to bring their rubs to the competition community.

I agree. I used to buy all types of ingredients to make my own, but even buying bulk I really didn't save much on cost and I found that although the taste was good the texture was off and I ended up with a rub that was too "powdery" and wouldn't stick to the meat as well as a thick course rub. Also some things like honey powder and Turdinado needed to be ground more and things like white truffle salt and silicon dioxide didn't need to be ground at all so I ended up having to grind various ingredients 1 by 1. Even then I really couldn't get a finished product that was better than most commercial rubs so all that time and work was for not. What I do now is by theirs and doctor it up to make it hit the exact flavor profile I want. I recently picked up about 20 different rubs and I've setup a taste database to track the end results of each combination.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users