W.S.M. vs Bubba Keg

13 replies to this topic

#1 don vieira

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:35 AM

I'm looking to purchase a new toy. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on which device is better? I know little about either, so I'm wide open for advice. Thanks in advance, Don

#2 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Hawaii

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:51 AM

I like the Bubba Keg.
You should ask Mike with AZ BBQ, since he cooked on one during the college football season and won the BK tailgate challenge.

#3 don vieira

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:17 AM

View PostVance Salvador, on 09 January 2010 - 06:51 AM, said:

I like the Bubba Keg.
You should ask Mike with AZ BBQ, since he cooked on one during the college football season and won the BK tailgate challenge.
yeah, BUT, anyone who uses something, thinks that what they use is the best, greatest, most awesome. I want an honest opinion. When you're on the Bubba Keg Challenge, you might talk up the product. I THINK the BEST SMOKER on the market is the Brinkman Pit Master! Go ahead, argue with me. That's not what I want, I just want opinions, but I don't think I'll get too many, as people aren't exposed to the Bubba Keg yet.

#4 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

Mike was selling or sold his BK. I think he'd give you his honest opinion of it.

#5 John Chips

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

If he sold it, I think he showed his opinion of it! I still have all three of my eggs.Posted Image

NUTZ

#6 don vieira

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:54 AM

View PostJohn Chips, on 09 January 2010 - 09:05 AM, said:

If he sold it, I think he showed his opinion of it! I still have all three of my eggs.Posted Image

NUTZ
Sweet Zombie Jesus!!! OK, can we disregard what I have stated before and address the question as to the merits of the BK as opposed to the merits of the WSM, and, for the sake of Mr. Chips, the BFGE? Thank you, in advance, don

#7 don vieira

Forum Irregular

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

View Postdon vieira, on 09 January 2010 - 09:54 AM, said:

Sweet Zombie Jesus!!! OK, can we disregard what I have stated before and address the question as to the merits of the BK as opposed to the merits of the WSM, and, for the sake of Mr. Chips, the BFGE? Thank you, in advance, don
Mr Chips, Are your eggs similar in cooking area versus the BK?

#8 Darry Smith

2008 & 2011 CBBQA Presidential Service Award Winner

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Interests:We enjoy our BBQ community and try to give back as much as we can.

Working with the CBBQA is a great way to enjoy both.

-Pitmaster for
    SMITTY'S
    SMOKE PATROL

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

A true evaluation could be made by someone who has cooked on both, not sure how many cooks we have who have done this (with BK being relatively new).

That 22" WSM (or were you talking 18"?) seems like a nice cooker. IMHO

Edited by Darry Smith, 09 January 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#9 Vincent Carrocci

CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

When I was in college there was a guy we used to call "Bubba" and he sure knew his way around a keg!

#10 Scott Hares

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

View PostVincent Carrocci, on 09 January 2010 - 02:54 PM, said:

When I was in college there was a guy we used to call "Bubba" and he sure knew his way around a keg!
When I was in high school, there was a guy we called "Bullet". After high school he shaped out more like a keg than a bullet though.

#11 Sylvie Curry

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

I love all my WSMs. My SIL has a BGE and a WSM but tends to cook more on her WSM. She thinks there are less concerns for ash accumulation with the WSM for long cooks. Correct me if I am wrong, but most folks recently cooking on the BK got them gifted from manufacturer to promote them. Not they they may be great cookers, just saying.

#12 matt brailey

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:59 AM

I cook on BGE's at home and at comps. I would say that for a backyard cooker there is nothing better than having two large eggs. The thermal mass of the ceramic really helps with cooking evenly at all temps. Also, the eggs are so durable that they will very likely outlive you, even with heavy use. For comps, you have to figure out how to deal with 500lbs of cookers. Not necessarily too hard, but not as easy as some others.

If you are planning to do comps, I would suggest that you go with WSM's. They are light and transport easily. Not to mention the fact that there are tons of extremely successful teams using them. They are completely proven.

That said, the Bubba Keg looks like a pretty decent design. If it were me and I could get a great price on three of the Bubba Kegs (cheaper than the WSMs) I'd probably roll the dice and use them in contests. If I was buying for my house, I get two large eggs and be done with it for the rest of my life.

Matt

#13 Mauricio Trejo

• 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

Don,

Hi, I'm the person who bought the BKG from Mike of AZ Barbeque. I've only spoken with him a few times but I believe he'd give you an honest opinion of the BKG, however, he only used it at tailgates for the Bubba Keg competition so his experience with it might be limited. I do know the only reason he sold it is because he had no real use for it (he has a really nice Diamond Plate smoker) and I think he donated the money to a good cause. This was lucky for me as I got a lightly used smoker at a great price.

I evaluated the BGE, Primo, and Kamado Joe (all of which are sold at BBQ Island here in AZ)before I bought the BKG. I've never cooked on a ceramic but I can give you the pros/cons of the BKG.

Cons:
No Diffuser - at this moment there is no diffuser for the BKG although the company is supposed to be releasing one soon. This is mitigated by the fact that all BGE accessories fit in a BKG

Limitied Accessories - as stated above this is mitigated by the fact that BGE accessories fit into the BKG

Heat Retention - believe it or not the heat retention on a BKG is almost too good. If you overshoot your target temperature on low and slow cooks it will take 1-2 hours to get the thing to cool down. You just need to be extra careful with starting your fire. I fill my chimney starter about 1/3 full of lump which I then dump on my unlit coals. You also need to have the bottom vent open about 1/2-3/4 inch and your top vent barely open when you dump your coals.

Warranty - the warranty on a BGE is 5 years vs. the lifetime warranty on a BGE. It's built rather sturdy so I don't foresee any issues but you without a proven track record you just never know.

Pros

Price - I got mine at a discount but with a price of $600+tax it is a pretty good bargain relative to the cost of a BGE/Primo (~$1K+ similarly equipped). You can get a Kamado Joe at BBQ Island for ~$800 and it comes with the cooker, nest, grates, side tables, and ash tool so the price dispartiy isn't so big for this cooker.

Extras Included in Purchase - the BKG comes with everything you need and the mult-tool is all you need to work your BKG

Heat Retention - the BKG uses very little charcoal because it retains heat so well.

Portability - I took my BKG to the BCS National Championship game (I went to UT) and had it lit for ~26 hours straight. You can't do this with a BKG.

Surface Temperature - the external temperature of a BKG is much cooler than a BGE at the same temperature. If you have kids this might be a big deal. If not, then it's a non-factor.

Breakage - you don't have to worry about breaking it. Once again this is only a big deal if you need to move your cooker occasionally or have kids who might inadvertently damage your cooker

Overall, I've been really satisfied with my purchase. Assuming I would have to pay regular price I would buy the BKG with the Kamado Joe coming in at a close second.

BTW, the manufacture of the BKG (In-Zone) is releasing the Big Steel Keg which is basically the same as the BKG with a couple of improvements...air control is more precise at lower temps and it comes with a grill cover. However, it does not come with a trailer hitch. See the link on the BSK @ http://bubbakeg.com/...php?topic=442.0 if you want more info on the BSK. Also, visit the BKG forum if you want more feedback on the BKG.

Regards,

#14 Vance Salvador

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Sounds pretty good to me. I want one.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users