Standing Rib Roast

19 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Fisher

CBBQA Co-Rookie Team of the Year - 2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Mopars, BBQ

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

I decided to dry age the standing rib roast I am cooking for Christmas. I bought it today and started my 4 day dry age process. All I did today was take the roast out of the packaging and wrap in flour sack towels. I wrapped it in two towels today and will change out the towels everyday until Thursday. So, here's the pics of day one.

This is actually Certified Angus Beef. This was the best quality I could find around here without being preseasoned.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wrapped then put into the fridge.

More pics tomorrow!

#2 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

Update!
Day 2
This is what it looked like still wrapped.
Posted Image

Looks like I will have to do some trimming before cooking.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

Update!
Day 3

Getting nasty looking!
Posted Image

Notice the bones are more exposed on day 3.
Posted Image

More to come.

#4 STEVE madaule

CBBQA Hall of Fame - Inducted 2014

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

i have to cook two of these each 12 lbs what time do you think its gonna take at 225 deg

#5 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

View PostSTEVE madaule, on Dec 24 2008, 09:35 AM, said:

i have to cook two of these each 12 lbs what time do you think its gonna take at 225 deg

From what I've read at 225* your looking around 30 minutes a pound. Thats for medium rare, pulled at 125* and rested.

#6 Robert Diaz

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, dogs, poker and mixed martial arts (MMA)

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

Wow! I would probably love the taste of that roast. I think I would probably gag quite a bit, if I had to trim that. Good job.

#7 Sylvie Curry

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

I like the idea. Aging concentrates the flavor. How are you storing it during the aging (temp, humidity or any special considerations)? I got one of the Costco prime rib roasts to cook tomorrow. It it continues to rain tomorrow, I'll probably just roast it in the oven. I saw Tyler Florence do one on FOODTV today coated with salt, garlic , olive oil, rosemary and pepper . Looked great. He cooked it at 375 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

#8 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

View PostSylvie Curry, on Dec 24 2008, 06:25 PM, said:

I like the idea. Aging concentrates the flavor. How are you storing it during the aging (temp, humidity or any special considerations)? I got one of the Costco prime rib roasts to cook tomorrow. It it continues to rain tomorrow, I'll probably just roast it in the oven. I saw Tyler Florence do one on FOODTV today coated with salt, garlic , olive oil, rosemary and pepper . Looked great. He cooked it at 375 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
I'm just keeping it in the fridge at 40*. I don't have a humidity gauge.

#9 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:12 PM

Update!

Day 4

It's looking about the same, maybe a little funkier.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tomorrows the day!

#10 Sylvie Curry

Needs 12 Step Group for Forum Recovery

• CBBQA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

I know it is going to come out great. Looking forward to the photos.

#11 Leonard Sanders

Forum Nut Job

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:dutch ovens-chuck wagons

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:03 AM

You go Jason

It is Christmas morning and I am doing some custom smoking. One smoker is full of turkeys and the other is full of prime rib and hams. The prime rib would be a nice experiment if only I could taste each one. Customers have dropped off everything from $2.98 per pound from Winco ---all the way to $12.89 per pound from a local meat market---with a few Raley's Black Angus choice at $5.97 per pound.

I have been around cattle my whole life and I am still not convinced that you can take a bite out of a ribeye steak and tell me what breed cow that it came from. I think that the Black Angus Association just has a genius in charge of marketing.

#12 Ed Brown

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Fishing, Pig hunting,Camping

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:23 AM

I have been aging a prime rib using the Jason plan and it looks just as funky. I'm bringing it up to room temp now. My string doesn't look as good as the pictures. It's a seven bone rascal which weighed 16#6oz and after aging since Sunday it's now 15# 9 oz. It goes on the smoker at noon. Good luck and Merry Christmas to all.

#13 Robert Diaz

Needs to Get a Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Interests:BBQ, dogs, poker and mixed martial arts (MMA)

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

Good job everyone. I'm smoking three roasts now. Didn't dry age them, because I can't deal with "funky". Merry Christmas everyone!

#14 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

Update!

Day 5

Here we go! Here's the final pic of the funk.
Posted Image

I trimmed off all the funk. By the way, it didn't smell funky, just looked funky.
Posted Image

Here it is all trimmed up, nice and bright white again.
Posted Image

Here's what I unded up using for flavor. Olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, Kosher salt, A full head of garlic, rosemary, oregano, sage and thyme. I pressed the garlic and minced the herbs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's how the butcher cut the bones almost all the way off. Awesome way to add more flavor!
Posted Image

Here it is all put back together and rubbed with the goodness.
Posted Image

I used Royal Oak lump with just a few JD oak chips mixed in for smoke.
Posted Image

Here it is going onto the Egg at 11:00. I didn't let it sit in room temp as long as I'd like and the probe measured internal temp at 39* when it went on.
Posted Image

The Egg is set just under 300* dome temp right now. The internal temp is to 49* as of 11:52.
More to come later.

#15 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

I almost forgot, I decided to use more of Alton Brown's technique and do a reverse sear on the roast. I am going to cook it on the Egg until the internal hits 115* then pull it off and rest in foil. We will then head to my parents house (2 miles away) and finish roasting it in their oven at 500* until the internal is 125* and a nice crust has formed. I also decided that I will cut the bones off before the final 500* roast. I haven't seen this done before, I figured this way I can get a better crust all the way around the roast. Then it will come back out and rest for 15-25 minutes before carving.

#16 Brian Kreisler

Pops

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • Interests:BBQing, rockets

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

Jason, gotta know how it came out?

#17 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

View PostBrian Kreisler, on Jan 7 2009, 11:28 AM, said:

Jason, gotta know how it came out?

Wow, I don't how I forgot to post it here. I was mirroring this post on the Brethren and I finished it up over there. Here it is.

Finale!

I ended up finishing it up on the Egg after all. It took three hours for it to go from 39* internal to 115* internal.
Posted Image

I then pulled it off and opened up the Egg to get it to 500*.
Posted Image

I cut the bones off and returned the roast to the now 500* degree Egg. I let it develop a crust while the internal rose to 124*. That only took about 12 minutes. I then pulled it off and loosely foiled it and ran over to my parents house. Here it is after a nice 20 minute rest.
Posted Image

It sliced up real nice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Overall it came out great. It tasted good and was very beefy and tender. The oak wasn't overpowering and neither were the herbs. My only complaint was that it wasn't very uniform in doneness from the center out and also from left to right. There were only about 3 inches in the middle that were really what I consider medium-rare. I cooked it at 300* until it hit 115*. Then 500* to 124*. I would have cooked it closer to 275*, but it took longer to prep than I had planned. I think next time I will cook it closer to 225* and take my time. Either way, I believe it was worth the trouble and I will do it again!

Edited by Jason Fisher, 07 January 2009 - 01:43 PM.

#18 Alexa Fairbairn

CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

• PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Location:The Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

That is so cool to see the progress in photos from day to day, and the finished product. I am a big scaredy-cat about aging, and while the rot-in-progress has me cringing, the report on the final product has me intrigued. Clearly, I need a refrigerator that children don't open alldamndaylong so that I can try aging some beef!

#19 Jason Fisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

View PostAlexa Fairbairn, on Jan 7 2009, 03:44 PM, said:

Clearly, I need a refrigerator that children don't open alldamndaylong so that I can try aging some beef!

Yeah, I wouldn't have attempted this at my house at all! :frantics: I used my parents fridge who were out of town the first two days.

#20 Brian Kreisler

Pops

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • Interests:BBQing, rockets

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Jason, Thanks for all the pics and play by play on the roast. It looks like your on to something there. Looks good.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users