Reheating brisket

5 replies to this topic

#1 David Towne

Forum Problem Child

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

Hi all. I am going to cook four ten to twelve pound briskets next weekend, vacuum seal them, freeze them, and then serve them at a party two weeks later. Thats just the way the timing is going to work out.... I plan on serving the brisket "pulled style"

Would you:

Cook all the way to ~200F before freezing?
Pull first and freeze or freeze whole?
Reheat in foil or directly on my smoker
Reheat at what temp in the smoker? 350F?
What temp reheat to if the brisket was cooked all the way previously? 160F?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

#2 Jason Fisher

CBBQA Co-Rookie Team of the Year - 2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Mopars, BBQ

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

If you are going to pull the brisket I'd pull it before freezing. I haven't done that, but with pork it is way easier to pull when hot than reheated. I would reheat in a foil pan covered with foil with apple juice or something similar. 350* seems a little hot for a reheat to me, but if you stirred it around fairly often it should be fine. I'd say to reheat it to a min of 140*. That's my $.02. Good luck.

#3 gary notley

Darth Brisket

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

I agree with Jason.
Chop or pull before freezing. Use a liquid when reheating it.

#4 Thom Emery

Pres. CBBQA 2007

• CBBQA Business Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts
  • Interests:Serving Jesus and Great BBQ

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:39 AM

No Vacuum Packer?

#5 Vincent Carrocci

CBBQA Team of the Year 2008 & 2009

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

If you're going to pull the brisket you might want to cook it too a higher temperature, say 210F, let it rest for a few hours and then shred. The higher temperature will insure that all the connective tissue has broken down and the meat should be very easy to pull. If you have a vacuum sealer, pack the shredded beef in bags of about 2 lbs. to 3 lbs. in size and then chill thoroughly. Once chilled, vacuum seal and then freeze. Be sure to evenly distribute the pan juices among the bags before you initially chill.

When you are ready to reheat, immerse the frozen or thawed bags of shredded meat into a large stock pot of boiling water. DO NOT CUT OPEN THE BAGS BEFORE PLACING IN THE WATER!!! Leave the bags in the boiling water for at least 20 - 30 minutes if frozen, 15 - 20 minutes will do if the meat is thawed. Remove the bags from the water, cut open and pour into a full or half pan, re-season to taste (mixing thoroughly by hand...gloved hand that is) and serve. The meat will taste as if it has just come off the smoker using this method. I've done it many times with both pork and beef.

Don't forget to humbly accept all the praise that will surely be heaped upon you!

#6 Dale Ginos

Needs to Get a Life

• CBBQA Board Of Directors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

View PostVincent Carrocci, on Sep 7 2008, 01:40 PM, said:

If you're going to pull the brisket you might want to cook it too a higher temperature, say 210F, let it rest for a few hours and then shred. The higher temperature will insure that all the connective tissue has broken down and the meat should be very easy to pull. If you have a vacuum sealer, pack the shredded beef in bags of about 2 lbs. to 3 lbs. in size and then chill thoroughly. Once chilled, vacuum seal and then freeze. Be sure to evenly distribute the pan juices among the bags before you initially chill.

When you are ready to reheat, immerse the frozen or thawed bags of shredded meat into a large stock pot of boiling water. DO NOT CUT OPEN THE BAGS BEFORE PLACING IN THE WATER!!! Leave the bags in the boiling water for at least 20 - 30 minutes if frozen, 15 - 20 minutes will do if the meat is thawed. Remove the bags from the water, cut open and pour into a full or half pan, re-season to taste (mixing thoroughly by hand...gloved hand that is) and serve. The meat will taste as if it has just come off the smoker using this method. I've done it many times with both pork and beef.

Don't forget to humbly accept all the praise that will surely be heaped upon you!
Ditto

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users